PDA

View Full Version : Simon Barnes -- "Jockeys: small people saddled with big issues

JER
Oct. 5, 2009, 01:23 AM
The Times' chief sports writer Simon Barnes turns his attention to flat jockeys.

Jockeys: small people saddled with big issues (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/simon_barnes/article6820593.ece)

They are, beyond doubt, the strangest athletes in the country. Difficult. Unpleasant. One or two quite seriously nasty. Troubled. Chippy. Defiant. Obstreperous. Prone to black moods. Unstable. Willing to cause pain. An elevated opinion of self that no amount of defeats can affect. Given to turbulent lives. Willing to turn against anybody.

That's jockeys for you.

And that's just the beginning...

Enjoy! :)

Blinkers On
Oct. 5, 2009, 01:34 AM
I don't agree. Not all small men have small men "issues." Some are fun and well adjusted and great human beings

Timex
Oct. 5, 2009, 01:55 AM
Did you read the article? He was talking about british jockeys, said at the end end that he found american jockeys to be quite the opposite. Although, in my personal experience, I might have to argue that point on ocassion.

Blinkers On
Oct. 5, 2009, 12:44 PM
Nope actually I read the posted portion
I will agree that some small men are a difficult, Nak would be that guy. Gryder is well adjusted. The euro's are a mystery to me!

Acertainsmile
Oct. 5, 2009, 10:09 PM
LMS, thats what some are suffering from. Go to Europe and add SAD to that and no wonder the jocks are a little testy! :lol:

Barnfairy
Oct. 6, 2009, 02:34 PM
Eh.

Pretty much all horse people have issues.

Writers too for that matter.

:winkgrin: