PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Krehan saddles?

dressagedevon
Oct. 4, 2009, 10:20 PM
Can someone tell me about them? I like the look of them and the prices is really nice, so is it a good saddle?

fernie fox
Oct. 4, 2009, 10:32 PM
Yes they are excellent saddles,very well made.

I used one for 3 years,it really was well balanced,and the two horses I used it on loved it.

rather expensive when new, but worth it IMO.

buck22
Oct. 5, 2009, 06:13 AM
Yes, I have a monoflap and I really like it. Its well made, a great ride and though not a perfect fit on my horse, he still really likes it - moreso than other saddles that appear to fit him better. Both my horse and I like the saddle a lot.

The exposed blocks on mine put my leg underneath me like no other saddle, and its extremely secure, but the blocks make it hard for me to rise to the trot. I'm not riding the saddle right now, but when the time comes for more seated work, its the saddle I'll be reaching for.

They are pricey new, but you can find amazing bargains used.

dressagedevon
Oct. 5, 2009, 08:23 AM
Does the seat run true to size? Like a 17" fit like most other 17's? That's the most popular size I can find but I need a 17.5 or 18.

buck22
Oct. 5, 2009, 03:15 PM
you know, I'll have to measure mine. I bought it thinking it was a 17 but it runs enormous, like an 18+. It very well may be an 18+ just mis-advertised and I never bothered to check. I'll check in the am for you.

Andalucian
Oct. 5, 2009, 05:31 PM
I have an old Marcus Krehan monoflap. I love it. Most of the horses love it (it's really the only saddle my picky pony mare likes). I'm not sure I'd want to ride in it all the time, as I wouldn't say it's exactly built for comfort, but I do find myself using it quite a bit.

Mine is a 17.5" and measures as such, but I think I'd prefer a 17"... and I usually ride in a 17.5" or 18" dressage saddle. I guess because it drops your leg down so much underneath you, it feels big to me. I have a student who is 5'9", about 155 or so, leggy with a long femur, and she loves this saddle. It fits her beautifully, and she tends to take an 18" or even 18.5" in my other saddles. I did have a student who was about 5'10" and 205ish use it a few times, and though it was a bit snug for her, it wasn't nearly as snug as you'd expect a 17.5" to be. You might find a 17" works for you.

dressagedevon
Oct. 5, 2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks Andalucian, that was the exact post I wanted to read! I guess for the price I could always try it and then re-sell it of need be.:yes:

fernie fox
Oct. 6, 2009, 11:13 AM
I sat in one yesterday at "Good Apple Consignment Warehouse" in Ocala,it was really nice.

She has some good stuff in there.

fernie fox
Oct. 6, 2009, 11:16 AM
I normally trail ride in a 18" saddle but that MH I sat in yesterday was a 17",it felt very comfy,puts you in a good position.

dressagedevon
Oct. 6, 2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks Fernie Fox, U ROCK!! :D

dressagedevon
Oct. 6, 2009, 04:27 PM
One more question, are these wool flocked or foam?
Thanks

buck22
Oct. 6, 2009, 05:38 PM
mine is wool. I checked mine and its marked "B 17/5" and measures 17.5, but rides much roomier. Again, I was thinking generous 18 in my recollection.

good luck. neat saddle, I'm very pleased with the one I have.

melody1
Mar. 6, 2010, 12:57 AM
I realize that this is an older thread, but I'd like to ask if anyone has advice on how this fits SHORTER people and small horses, please let me know. I'm considering one, but I'm only about 5'3 (although with a moderately long femur for my height). My mare is a 14.1hh "petite" Arab, quite narrow, usually takes a medium or a medium/narrow tree. This saddle is a 17" medium.

I have never ridden in a saddle with an exposed knee block that is so extreme like this one, any input on that? It's a sort of funky look, but I'm ready for anything that fits me better than what I have now.

buck22
Mar. 6, 2010, 09:41 AM
Hmm, you'll be just on the edge of fitting it I think. I found mine fit large for a 17.5, it was long on my 14.3h morgan, and it just fit my 5'3" frame with a long femur.