PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for a show pad on a teeny budget?

imnotclever
Oct. 4, 2009, 09:51 PM
Just looking for any suggestions for a show pad on a teeny tiny budget. Has anyone ever been pleasantly surprised on the quality of a lower priced pad?

I school with a thinline saddle fitter half pad because my horse needs a little lift in the front of the saddle. In the past I've just been using my half pad at shows, but I really prefer the look of a nice shaped pad.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

spmoonie
Oct. 4, 2009, 10:37 PM
How tiny is your budget exactly? $150, $50, or $15?

Toklat makes nice pads and most of them are in the 40-60 dollar range. Ive been very happy with mine. Wilkers also makes very nice pads in pretty much the same price range. Also, try ebay. There are tons of great deals for horse items on there. Check your local consignment shop too! I've bought a show pad for 9 dollars before! :)

Peggy
Oct. 4, 2009, 10:43 PM
Grab your saddle and go on a road trip to Thrifty Horse in Norco and HorseMart in San Dimas, along with whatever other consignment shops you can think of. If you've got your saddle, there's no guessing. I've also like the Toklat ones if you want to spend the money on something new.

Lkramer
Oct. 4, 2009, 10:43 PM
Bevals pads get my stamp of approval.

superpony123
Oct. 4, 2009, 10:44 PM
There are plenty of fleece shaped pads that are perfectly acceptable in the show ring. I can't imagine they'd be anything more than $30 for the majority of them.

TrakeGirl
Nov. 8, 2009, 07:00 AM
I found Wilkers carries a shaped pad that is very thin (almost like a baby pad, just cotton quilt) everywhere except for a fleece roll around the outside. I found it on clearance for $10 at a local tack store.

On horses where I need to use a half pad for saddle fit - I put this under the half pad to get the look I am going after.