PDA

View Full Version : Barn Kitten...what to do?

Trakehner
Oct. 4, 2009, 07:24 PM
I was at a friends barn hauling their horses as a favour...there was a 5-6 six month old lovely little girl torty kitten. She purred a mile a minute, loved her belly being rubbed...she's also got a snotty nose etc....typical for a barn kitty.

The question...I've got 2 cats at home, boy and girl, both 5 years old....what sort of disaster would another female cat (well, kitten) add to the relationship the current cats enjoy (no fights, get along well etc.).

Cats are 100% inside animals, never outside. The kitten is just too nice a little beast to leave outside at the barn.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Zu Zu
Oct. 4, 2009, 07:31 PM
No problem ~ but have the kitten seen by a vet and vacinnated & de-flea-ed sp?before taking home & and before any contact with your other cats ! Once home she will need a room of her own for awhile with her own food, water and litter box - gradually transition her with the other cats one at a time.. Supervised visiting for awhile --- and of course have her spayed asap. IMHO Enjoy your new kitten !!

MintHillFarm
Oct. 4, 2009, 07:33 PM
I would be concerned about the snotty nose at this point...maybe if it proves not to be anything serious, you can isolate the kitten and gradually introduce her to your mature cats...she sounds like a keeper to me! I would have the vet check her though first.

cloudyandcallie
Oct. 4, 2009, 07:33 PM
You need this kitty!

Sometimes cats accept new kitties with no problems, and sometimes they spray, so you have a 50/50 chance of success.
I took a barn kitty home when he was a yr old, Tobey was accepted by my cats (all 9 of them, ranging in age from 7 yrs to 10 and 11 yrs). Today Tobey is still in the house, still getting along with the 7 cats left, Tobey is 6 yoa and the others are 12 and 16 and 17yoa.

Good luck. Save the life. Hope you get the cat colony where she fits right in.

lesson junkie
Oct. 4, 2009, 07:35 PM
Oh, Trakehner-there might be a little adjustment period-yowling, dramatic boxing matches, maybe a litter box protest-but given time, they can work it out just fine.

Just a word of warning-I have 10 cats, so maybe I lack the judgement necessary to give you a good answer!

cloudyandcallie
Oct. 4, 2009, 07:38 PM
Yes get her tested first, so no feline lukemia, FIP, etc.

Simkie
Oct. 4, 2009, 07:46 PM
I have taken several barn kittens home to be house kitties and have never run into any problems. First stop is ALWAYS the vet for a FeLV and FIV snap test and general health check.

shea'smom
Oct. 4, 2009, 08:44 PM
Seriously, did you think anyone was going to try to talk you out of it?
Kittie needs you, take it to vet first, tell us what you name her, DONE!

Seven-up
Oct. 4, 2009, 09:34 PM
...annnnnnd pictures!:)

Buffyblue
Oct. 4, 2009, 09:59 PM
Congratulations! What's her name?

SMF11
Oct. 4, 2009, 11:35 PM
I'm not as experienced as people with 10 cats ;), but in my experience a kitten fits in way more easily than another adult cat. Also, google introducing cats to each other. It takes longer that you might think (though, again less so w/a kitten). I've just taken in a stray adult that turned up at my barn, and it is looking like getting him to fit in with my other two is going to end up taking a few months.

BasqueMom
Oct. 4, 2009, 11:38 PM
I've had a few adult fosters that have just walked in, said Hi to everyone and you'd think
they have lived here all their lives. So you just never know with the adults. Like with kittens, I give them a space of their own. The mother cats with kittens are another story....they take no prisoners.

danceronice
Oct. 4, 2009, 11:42 PM
Assuming she's healthy without anything contagious, I actually just followed my friend with four cats' practice--let them sort it out themselves. I brought Marcus home, opened the carrier, and he and Jet were sleeping on the couch at the end of the day with little/no squabbling. My friend claims that's worked pretty much every time for her. They sort themselves out. (She swears she's at her limit, though.)

Trakehner
Oct. 5, 2009, 01:44 PM
Yep, I'm going to get her tomorrow...way too cute to stay a barn cat. Hit the vets tomorrow (Tues) afternoon and if she's not got some sort of creeping crud, she'll be an indoor kitty with a soft life...my Siamese female and Havanna Brown male will be "thrilled"...well, hope they're at least tolerant.

3 cats...do I really need 3 cats? Cheaper than 3 horses I guess.

I'll do a photo when I get one...she is cute.

cloudyandcallie
Oct. 5, 2009, 01:57 PM
One can never have too many cats or dogs.

3 cats? Wow you need more. Siamese are so "doggy" they get along fine with alley cats. My Siamese used to think she was an aussie anyway.

ETA: My now 17 yoa tortie is named Anastasia, because I got her as a 2 month old from Atlanta's Friends of Animals. She'd been pulled out of an abandonned house, and has never revealed her true identity.

JohnDeere
Oct. 5, 2009, 02:10 PM
3 cats? Nothin to it.

BTW I was adopted by cat #2 about 4 years ago. Cat #1 and Cat #2 are constantly battling for the #2 spot on the cat chain onf command. Cat #3 is just stupid enough to be #1. Seriosly.

Pics pleez. I love torties.

Huntertwo
Oct. 5, 2009, 02:44 PM
Welllll, Being a Tortie lover..:yes: (Have one myself)

I would definitely get her to a Vet to get her checked for a possible upper respiratory infection before introducing her to your other two cats. Always wash your hands after handling her too.

Once she has a clean bill of health, I always crate the new cat with food/water/litter/bed for a few days at the least. Gives them all time to get to know each other. Once they are acting normal I'd let her out, but obviously keep a careful watch on her.

Any names? Pictures?

Thank you for giving this kitty a home...:)

SMF11
Oct. 5, 2009, 05:53 PM
Assuming she's healthy without anything contagious, I actually just followed my friend with four cats' practice--let them sort it out themselves. I brought Marcus home, opened the carrier, and he and Jet were sleeping on the couch at the end of the day with little/no squabbling. My friend claims that's worked pretty much every time for her. They sort themselves out. (She swears she's at her limit, though.)

I've read of this technique working. However, when I tried it 15 years ago, my resident cat harrassed and attacked the new cat. I thought they would work it out. What ended up happening is that the resident cat attacked, cut an artery in the new cat, and the new cat started bleeding out. If I hadn't been home he would have died for sure, within minutes. Luckily pressure stopped the bleeding and that cat lived till he was 20, dying only last year. It may have been a freak accident, hitting the artery, but not something I'd ever take a chance with again.

Also, the new cat was so anxious about the attacks that he peed in the house continually. Again, not something I really want to go through again.

SonnysMom
Oct. 6, 2009, 12:46 PM
After vet clearances, I start them in a spare bedroom with the door closed for a few days. Then I set up a baby gate in the bedroom door. Most of the time they have done some sniffing under the door. The baby gated room just becomes a safe base they can go back to.
I also have dogs so they can't get over the baby gates.
My other cats will hop into the bedroom eat some food and then leave. They don't go out of their way to harrass new cats.
As new kitty gets braver they start to explore more & more of the house and yard.
I have a dog door so they eventually find the great outdoor world. I don't show them the dog door they just learn by watching the other cats and dogs.
I don't specifically introduce anybody. I let them do it on their own timetable.

Trakehner
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:23 PM
Picked her up from the barn today and got her to the vets...the kitten had nothing contagious besides a minor case of sniffles (she's being treated for these and stayed at the vets until he surgery), got all her shots/nose drops, wormed and will be spayed Friday and comes home Saturday if no complications.

Her name is Abigail.

She even purred when they were taking blood.

Zu Zu
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:39 PM
Great news about Abigail !!! Love her name !!! Enjoy !!!

fivehorses
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:39 PM
super, what a great opportunity you gave this cutie.

Buffyblue
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:57 PM
Aw, poor little thing! Mine have been known to go straight up a wall to avoid a blood test! Love the name. Best of luck with her!

jen-s
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:54 PM
Silly Trakehner. You've been around COTH long enough now. Did you really think that ANYONE was going to tell you no on the new kitteh??? :lol::lol::lol:

So glad to hear that Abigail is a sweetie and it's just the sniffles. And yes, we do need pictures once she's home and settling in. :yes:

red's girl
Oct. 8, 2009, 05:50 PM
and there's Feliway, pheromone spray copied from cheek glands of contented cats (yep, really)...helps everyone feel a little more peaceful. Some vets, good pet stores carry it.

www.feliway.com

Werlcome, Abigail!

clint
Oct. 8, 2009, 05:58 PM
Awww so glad you decided to take her home. I had a beautiful torti who died last spring at a ripe old age named Abigail; it sound like she has a lovely namesake. :)

TKR
Oct. 9, 2009, 10:34 AM
Congrats on being the new "mommy" of a darling kitten! I have a cat named Abigail -- gorgeous calico who I found on a roadside on my way to see a movie. She was tiny and there were no houses anywhere around, so I stopped and picked her up and took her back home. Made the movie late, but my sister understood, knowing I can't pass up a kitten. She named her Abby - short for "abandoned". Pictures!!
PennyG

Trakehner
Oct. 9, 2009, 10:54 AM
Congrats on being the new "mommy" of a darling kitten!

Well, uncle maybe?:D

Trakehner
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:15 PM
Here's Abigail

Trakehner
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:16 PM
Another shot of Abigail

3horsemom
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:23 PM
did you really ever have a choice? how cute!!!

clint
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:26 PM
Of course she never had a choice!! It looks like a patch tabby, one of my favorite all time cats.

Buffyblue
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:28 PM
Totally adorable! Looks just like a really neat barn kitty I knew once named Patches!

Zu Zu
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:53 PM
Abigail is pushing that "CUTE BUTTON" !!!! She is long hair ! She is going to be BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!

Huntertwo
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:55 PM
Awww, she is adorable!!! Beautiful girl. :)

coloredhorse
Oct. 14, 2009, 07:52 AM
Beautiful!

cloudyandcallie
Oct. 14, 2009, 08:01 AM
You are going to have such fun with Abigail jumping all over the older cats and being a little pest.:lol:

Doesn't look like it took her too long to adjust............and to keep this horse/farm related, since some threads are getting locked because others complained that they weren't farm related, cats born in a barn can move right into the house and become house cats. Mine was a year old when he moved into the house and at 6, he's still doing fine.

Enjoy those wild kitten antics. Your 2 adult cats will be so sleep deprived.

Trakehner
Oct. 14, 2009, 08:55 AM
Barn Cats

She's my 3rd barn cat

....first was a little grey tabby female who "adopted" me...she got in the car and made herself at home. I didn't notice her till I got home..well, she can spend the night, let me feed her something, she's so skinny....well, she can go back to the barn this weekend...finally, no way is she going back.

....second was a young cat with a crooked tail (thanks to my Trakehner). She looked like a cream cat you wiped your hands on. A friend's young daughter called her a "sooty kitty"...and so she was named.

....my third is Abigail...she just looks like an Abigail.

She finally met the house cats...the Siamese female (Lilly) was interested, Abby just purred a lot and that was it. The Havana Brown male (Stogie...well, they named the breed after a cigar's color and he's small...so, he's a stogie..my wife hates his name) was laying on "his" chair and I brought her up...she bonked him with her head, flopped over on her back laying over him and purred with her eyes closed. He just gave her a sniff and went back to sleep.

I think this is going to work.:)

Zu Zu
Oct. 14, 2009, 09:04 AM
Of course it is going to work ~ who wouldn't love Abigail !!!!! Enjoy ~ She is a real Beauty ! Miss Hollywood type cat ! A Wonderful BARN CAT !

Ozone
Oct. 14, 2009, 01:59 PM
Awe, Yeah Trakhner! Abigail does not look like a barn kitty to me!

So happy you brought her into your home! I am thee cat advocate... I love every single cat in the world!

Your kitties will adjust fine to Abigail. I don't believe in separating them, I have 4 cats and never in the past separate them, just put them into together to mingle, they will be fine.

Thankfully she tested negative! Have fun! With you Fur Friend.