PDA

View Full Version : Skidmore Riding Question

ontheverge14
Oct. 4, 2009, 06:53 PM
Anyone familiar with the trainer at Skidmore? I'm look at Skidmore for college next year(based on academics, not riding) and if I go I might want to bring my horse with me; the only problem is I have no idea what the training there is like, is it comparable to an AA show barn?

IsolaBella09
Oct. 4, 2009, 07:15 PM
Hey! I'm at Skidmore and I ride at the barn all the time. I absolutely love it here. It's a great school and a great place to ride. It is definitely comparable to an AA show barn. Cindy Ford, our head trainer, is great. I love her! She works on your riding in a disciplined, effective, and encouraging way. Our assistant coach, Belinda Colgan, is amazing. Her flat lessons are great for developing your position. There are two other trainer, Karen and Paige, who are also great trainers. Everyone is down to earth and so nice. It's a great environment to be in. Even if you do not make the team (it is very competitive) you can still practice ride everyday and take lessons, which is what I am doing.

If you bring your horse, there are still opportunities to show around the area and even at the bigger shows further away.

Let me know if you want to come up and see the barn firsthand and do an overnight. Just PM me. Hope you come to Skidmore, it's a great place and I'm very happy! :D

Timex
Oct. 4, 2009, 07:20 PM
A lot of kids who go to skidmore choose to board elsewhere, be it for more TO, the price, if the skidmore barn is just plain ol' full, whatever. The riding program is definitely good, but if you're looking at it for the academics and not so much the riding aspect, keep in mind that there are other options very close by that might be more to your liking. Feel free to pm me if you'd like.

Zu Zu
Oct. 4, 2009, 07:34 PM
I graduated from Skidmore --- LOVED IT !!!! :cool:

Event4Life
Oct. 5, 2009, 08:52 AM
I worked with a girl who played on the Varsity Polo Team at Skidmore. She loved it. I looked there & was very impressed. Beautiful campus in a really nice town and obviously really good academics. The barn seemed nice, but would have been over my budget for boarding. I just didn't want to be that far away (or so I thought - and now I'm across the Atlantic Ocean with no horse, haha).

Timex
Oct. 5, 2009, 01:31 PM
FWIW, the polo team is no longer stables at the skidmore barn, but at a farm about 20 minutes away.

Crazy_Eventer
Oct. 5, 2009, 02:14 PM
You have a PM :D

Fiction
Oct. 6, 2009, 12:34 AM
I just graduated from Skidmore. Send me a PM with any questions you might have, I spent a good majority of my four years at the barn and I can give you an honest answer to pretty much anything.

Ozone
Oct. 6, 2009, 01:16 PM
Cindy Is the best! The barn and the horses are really nice too. I know a ton of people who went there/go there and only good things to say. They do all the AA shows too.

lizathenag
Oct. 6, 2009, 06:06 PM
I was at Skidmore in 1969/70 when they were building the new barn and sharing it with ADI.

a while ago.