PDA

View Full Version : Stomach Soother? Anyone tried it? Pony has bad diarrhea

superpony123
Oct. 4, 2009, 04:10 PM
http://www.stomachsoother.com/default.aspx

My poor guy has been having some serious issues with his digestional tract. He's been getting pretty bad diarrhea :( I have been using ProBios paste which has worked sort-of well--but not entirely. It definitely makes it very minimal, just somewhat normal poo with a bit of running (ugh, sorry, i know, sort of graphic but what else am i going to say? :no:) But it only comes in a paste and powder form -- the oral paste is very expensive and it only lasts for 2 days. no lasting effect. The powder form needs to be mixed with feed--and my boy does not get grain and is not allowed to have any on a normal basis and this will not change.

I am having trouble figuring out what the cause could be. He goes out with a grazing muzzle. The grass isn't really any different than its been any other year though I suppose it's been a bit richer this year. Either way I can't pinpoint anything specific..

Whenever I'm at the feed store or the tack shop I always ask if theres any diarrhea remedies that can go without feed and they either say no or they direct me to the probios paste.

So i've come across this Stomach Smoother stuff which can be given orally with a syringe; I am wondering if anyone's had much luck with this or if it's just another 'miracle' juice :( i'm desperate.

Also, since it's basically all papaya-should I be worried about the amount of sugar it gives my pony? The reason he goes out with a muzzle and does not get grain is because he had laminitis this spring. The suggested dosage is 4 fl oz per day which seems like a lot to me of what Id think is almost pure sugar......

sansibar
Oct. 4, 2009, 04:49 PM
I recommend Intensive care GI. My horse had extreme diareahha issues both of these helped. Probiotics never really worked for us. Omeprazole paste also helped. Also I used a thing called gastro care for a while that seemed to work but it never seemed to go to normal...

Also a lot of hay in my horses diet also helped a lot.

The GI stuff was my miracle worker, it is made by macintosh proline and wow his diareahha disappeared!!!!!! Not even lying.

http://www.mcintoshproline.com/single_products/intensive_care_gi.html

The Gastro care (nutri science) was okay, it worked for periods on high doses (it neutralizes stomach acid) but in my opinion it is just over prices apple flavored baking soda....

Also make sure the pony has no underlying issues in the digestive tract or that the pony is not in pain anywhere, my horses diareahha was originally caused by nerves. but these were what the university vets told us when we went to a university to get his stool under control.

superpony123
Oct. 4, 2009, 06:12 PM
I recommend Intensive care GI. My horse had extreme diareahha issues both of these helped. Probiotics never really worked for us. Omeprazole paste also helped. Also I used a thing called gastro care for a while that seemed to work but it never seemed to go to normal...

Also a lot of hay in my horses diet also helped a lot.

The GI stuff was my miracle worker, it is made by macintosh proline and wow his diareahha disappeared!!!!!! Not even lying.

http://www.mcintoshproline.com/single_products/intensive_care_gi.html

The Gastro care (nutri science) was okay, it worked for periods on high doses (it neutralizes stomach acid) but in my opinion it is just over prices apple flavored baking soda....

Also make sure the pony has no underlying issues in the digestive tract or that the pony is not in pain anywhere, my horses diareahha was originally caused by nerves. but these were what the university vets told us when we went to a university to get his stool under control.

can you tell me what form the intensive care GI comes in? it looks like a bag of treats or something but it does not say. my only worry for this product is that it says it also helps weight gain--and i do NOT want my pony to gain any weight. trying to keep all possible threats of laminitis away.

2boys
Oct. 4, 2009, 08:00 PM
I'll be following this closely.......

sansibar
Oct. 4, 2009, 08:21 PM
it's a powder, my horse was on stall rest for 6 months while on this every day and he hardly put on any weight other then expected for a horse on stall rest. But it worked miracles, we spent thousands trying to uncover the mystery behind his lack of solid poop, for them to give us an answer of "we cannot guarantee any thing other then the fact that he does not have ulcers..." my dad talked to the rep about it one day and we tried it and voila... its gone, that and a very hay rich diet. But even now when he is just on pasture (and this supplement) he has no diareahha.

I wish I had this stuff when he was a show horse, it was no fun to keep hopping off him to wash his back white socks. Shapleys white spray was my best friend...

BearWithMe
Oct. 4, 2009, 08:25 PM
I just wanted to say that most powders can be mixed with water and given orally through a syringe so that shouldnt be a problem.

Janet
Oct. 4, 2009, 08:57 PM
I know that Stomach Soother helps with foal scours. I expect it would help with adult horses too.

There is no added sugar, and it doesn't TASTE sweet. I don't know what the actual carb count is.

KnKShowmom
Oct. 5, 2009, 11:20 AM
Our barn uses Stomach Soother for the ulcer prone horses and its seems to do fine, haven't tried it for diarrhea.

Try adding a 1/2 cup of yogurt to his feed, usually firms things up in a day.

Dune
Oct. 5, 2009, 11:46 AM
Has a vet been called in on this?? :confused: I'd really want to figure out the source versus just treating the symptoms. I mean, your pony could have sand in his gut irritating things so he could need to go on a course of psyllium. He could have colitis, which would require a completely different course of treatment. Biosponge is a great product for bad diarrhea but I'd only use it in certain instances. Call your vet. :yes:

Equus_girl
Oct. 5, 2009, 05:27 PM
Has a vet been called in on this?? :confused: I'd really want to figure out the source versus just treating the symptoms. I mean, your pony could have sand in his gut irritating things so he could need to go on a course of psyllium. He could have colitis, which would require a completely different course of treatment. Biosponge is a great product for bad diarrhea but I'd only use it in certain instances. Call your vet. :yes:

I agree, you need to start with calling a vet and doing complete bloodwork, then you need to rule out sand and worms. Then you have ulcers and about a miriad of other things which could be wrong, but you need to start digging for the problem.
My guy was at the hospital for 2.5 months following surgery. He developed intermittent diarrhea incidents about 3 weeks ago. We ran complete blood I just started him on Forco (http://www.forcocolorado.com/#) and we are waiting to see if the issue will resolve itself. I really hope its not ulcers :(

Ponyclubrocks
Oct. 5, 2009, 07:14 PM
I had excellent (if messy) results with pepto bismal. My vet recommended it for an old old gelding who had bad diarrhea after receiving bute. 1/2 cup in an oral syringe three times a day and he was perfectly good by day three. Wear a pink shirt cause its gonna get on you!

cloudyandcallie
Oct. 5, 2009, 07:25 PM
Ask your vet about anaerotic bacteria. metridizanole (check spelling) works for that. Pony had barn had it last summer and this summer, and despite giving him more equi-aid, he still had diarrhea till he got a 10 day course of metridizanole each summer, and the diarrhea cleared up both times.

Ask your vet. You don't want to give him somehing that will make things worse. (And shealth cleaner will get those stains out of his tail and hind legs.)

juniormom
Oct. 7, 2009, 12:48 AM
We had a pony that we used Metamucil on. He only liked the orange flavor. Unfortunately, it doesn't come in large containers and we got a lot of funny looks at KMart or Wal Mart with a basket full of Metamucil! I have forgotten the other things he got with it, other than a handful of grass pellets, etc. He had a tendency to get fat quickly, but all ponies do. Be sure to talk with your vet about it. I would check the worming, probiotics, etc. too. Yogurt also helps. Acupuncture may help as well. Good luck! :)

BAC
Oct. 7, 2009, 11:38 AM
We had a pony that we used Metamucil on. He only liked the orange flavor.

Isn't Metamucil a laxative? If so, that's the last thing the OP needs.

up-at-5
Oct. 7, 2009, 12:13 PM
Call your vet asap! Chronic diarrhoea can be very dangerous. Have a gander on google at "c-difficile"(much too much info to type here...google c-difficile horse to get best results). After having an experience with a possible exposure to this bacteria, I will never look at diarroea the same again! Has your horse recently been on antibiotics?
I would call the vet immediately to get this looked at. If it's nothing serious, have a look at a product that many swear by....BIO SPONGE..available from "peakperformance"(do another google, sorry, at work and unable to attach links)

Good luck.

edited to add..exposure to c-difficile can lead to colitis(colitis was mentioned in an above post) which can get really bad, really fast. Rule it out, then work on solving the symptoms.