PDA

View Full Version : health certificate?

katlee
Oct. 3, 2009, 11:46 PM
? for the racing gurus. It's been six years since I got one directly from the track and my memory is foggy.

Horse just moved from one track to another within the same state, would it have current coggins/health certificate? I'm trying to arrange transportation. Any input appreciated.

Muleskick
Oct. 3, 2009, 11:59 PM
He will have a current coggins. Depends on the state for vet certifacate, and if he has one depending on your state he may need a new one. However their are vets on the tracks everyday so shouldn't be a problem to get a new one.

DickHertz
Oct. 3, 2009, 11:59 PM
Coggins yes, HC not within state unless track requires it, which is usually not the case if transport is within the state.

tbracer65
Oct. 4, 2009, 01:26 AM
Dick is correct -- within state you just will need to show the coggins. I always get a Health, though, as they're pretty easy to get -- in case you get a "new" security that wants to be a pain.....

pinkdiamondracing
Oct. 4, 2009, 09:01 AM
Dick is correct -- within state you just will need to show the coggins.

Not the case anymore-- what with EHV1 and the strangles outbreaks these days-- you are required to present a HC at the stable gate before you are allowed in, let alone unload-- no exceptions.

katlee
Oct. 4, 2009, 09:36 AM
thanks! hopefully that will getting him home a little easier :)

SleepyFox
Oct. 4, 2009, 09:58 AM
Not the case anymore-- what with EHV1 and the strangles outbreaks these days-- you are required to present a HC at the stable gate before you are allowed in, let alone unload-- no exceptions.

Actually, no. HC requirements still depend on the track. And even if required, an HC will not go to the racing office, so you'll have to ask if the horse has a current one. Not a problem to get another, if your van requires it (but are you sure they do?).

Also, remember the Coggins is attached to the foal papers - if the van requires the Coggins in hand, make sure the person you are buying the horse from knows well in advance so that the papers can be pulled from the office.

Las Olas
Oct. 4, 2009, 10:56 AM
Katlee, if this is for the horse that you were trying to get from Von Hemel @ Hawhtorne to KY, then yes, you will need a Health certificate.

Sleepy - I think you're right that different tracks have different rules, but where PinkDiamond is in KY, I think it's a KHRA rule that applies to all of the tracks in the state.

At least you're not shipping to FL. That's a total PITA.