PDA

View Full Version : Help! Strangles outbreak in Aiken??

SSS4
Oct. 3, 2009, 07:35 PM
I just spoke to my vet in Aiken who says there are 2 confirmed cases of Strangles at Buckleigh Farms where I was supposed to be bringing horses next week....does anyone there know about this? She also said a horse died there last week after impaling itself on a broken board!! Any suggestions on somewhere else I can bring my horses preferably with SAFE turnout and a good dressage and jumping arena??

tbeventer
Oct. 4, 2009, 10:29 AM
I haven't heard anything about Buckleigh Farms, but for a place to bring your horses, contact Lara Anderson at Full Gallop... I think she still has stalls available. Stalls and turnouts are safe, plus you have access to lovely show jumps, dressage arenas, and I'm pretty sure you can use the XC course, besides for hacking. If she's full, she'll have some other ideas, as well. I also have 2 stalls available at my place.

scribbles
Oct. 4, 2009, 10:36 AM
There are a bunch of small places around aiken you can go too... quite a few right near all of the events...
i live in aiken, and i had heard, we live down the road and im not too worried about it i would never take my horse over there anyways

HandsomeBayFarm
Oct. 5, 2009, 12:13 PM
www.jbfarm.com

subk
Oct. 5, 2009, 01:32 PM
She also said a horse died there last week after impaling itself on a broken board!! Any suggestions on somewhere else I can bring my horses preferably with SAFE turnout and a good dressage and jumping arena??
Just a bit irresponsible publicly flaming a facility on hearsay, don't you think?

My niece's horse tried to kill himself three times in three months this summer while turned out at my farm. One of those incidents involved a "broken board." My four board, meticulously maintained pastures would not be considered unsafe by anyone. So it would hardly be fair is some random person who heard a small piece of the story from someone else came on a public bulletin board and declared to the world my turn out isn't safe.

eventmom
Oct. 5, 2009, 02:16 PM
Just a bit irresponsible publicly flaming a facility on hearsay, don't you think?

My niece's horse tried to kill himself three times in three months this summer while turned out at my farm. One of those incidents involved a "broken board." My four board, meticulously maintained pastures would not be considered unsafe by anyone. So it would hardly be fair is some random person who heard a small piece of the story from someone else came on a public bulletin board and declared to the world my turn out isn't safe.
Subk, you took the words right out of my mouth!

Eventer55
Oct. 5, 2009, 06:15 PM
I'm sorry, but this morning it sounded like hysteria and now it still sounds like hysteria. Where did the horses come from and were they quarantined? Horses living in immaculate conditions can incur wounds. Less drama would lend more credibility.

aikenhorses
Oct. 6, 2009, 01:07 PM
WHAT VET REPORTED THIS-MY VET has not heard of this.,...I need to find out more please-i live in aiken right down the road from buckleigh..

Mach Two
Oct. 6, 2009, 04:05 PM
Ahhh hysteria....Any place that has a lot of horse traffic can have a case of strangles come through, I feel for the Barn Owner who has perhaps unfairly gotten some bad publicity.

sidepasser
Oct. 6, 2009, 04:34 PM
I would think you would call the farm in question privately and ask - it would be very unfair to announce this publicly without knowing for sure.

Horsegal984
Oct. 7, 2009, 04:26 PM
I would hardly call 2 cases an 'outbreak' I would call that normal working buisness for a high-traffic facility. And the fact that there are only 2 cases tells me that they have great quarentine protocalls! Believe me, I've been though an 'outbreak,' all 65 horses on the property got it because one horse came in harboring it, and no real isolation was inforced after it started. THAT was strangels HELL. 2 cases? honey put on your big girl panties and relax. Delay moving your horses for a week or two and I suspect all will be calm and well by then. For all you know the sick horses just moved there from a rescue situation and are living in the isolation barn with no risk to anyone else on the farm.

Oh, and you can put horses in a padded room and wrap them in bubble wrap and they'd still find a way to hurt themselves. If you haven't learned that personally yet you're either lucky or very new to horses. Again, you are spreading rumors about a barn based on heresay. Maybe the horse was older and had a seizure and fell on the fence. Maybe it was a young horse who spooked at a car backfire and tried to jump out of the pasture. Maybe the injury itself wasn't that bad but the owners couldn't afford to treat it to they put the horse down. There's a million reasons why 'perfectly healthy' horses have to be put down at great facilities every day. Do you balme the O'Connors for Teddy's accident? I'm sure they still feel the hole he left every day, but that doesn't make their farm any less safe for the other horses there.

cloudyandcallie
Oct. 7, 2009, 04:31 PM
I don't think the OP was being malicious in stating what her vet told her.
If strangles has been "confirmed" in 2 horses at one farm, I'd be thanking the vet for telling me, and if I lived in Aiken as aikenhorses does, I'd want to know also. (I'd consider my vet telling me something as truth and not rumor............hearing it from another person, I'd want to confirm it with my vet.)

Besides, don't they quarantine over there as they do here in GA? No horses out and no horses into the barn for several months? Strangles is a reportable disease here and must be reported to the state and the barns/farms must be quarantined..........as one big barn was in late spring down here. Op probably cannot take her horses to the farm if it is under quarantine.