PDA

View Full Version : Breeches Spinoff: FITS White Breeches

Auburn
Oct. 3, 2009, 10:18 AM
I wore my FITS white breeches for the dressage phase at Jump Start. It was raining and they got quite dirty. I have washed them in Woolite, with a soak cycle. I have washed them with Leather Therapy wash and conditioner. Neither worked. I called FITS and the only suggestion that they had was to take them to the dry cleaners and have them put dry cleaning solution on the stains, while trying to keep it off of the deerskin. My dry cleaner would not do it, because she was afraid of ruining the deerskin. Right now, they are going to her leather cleaner person, who may or may not be able to clean them.

Those breeches were way too expensive to be this hard to get clean! :mad: My tropical riders extended patch breeches have always washed really well. I have only ridden in the white FITS three times. Before riding in the rain at Jump Start, they cleaned up nicely.

Has anyone else had this problem with their white FITS? If so, then how did you get them clean? :confused:

LovinRocky
Oct. 3, 2009, 10:24 AM
I don't have your answer, but I do have a question. My friend has been looking for white breeches that are not so see through. Are the FITS pretty thick? She tried the new Pikeur and Ariat, both seemed transparent.
It is time to replace her very old pair of white breeches, back from the days the material was a little less revealing!
Thanks

pinkdiamondracing
Oct. 3, 2009, 10:27 AM
My mother is one of the worst laundry-doers on the planet, my sister is sponsored by FITS and I have never seen Sara's white ones NOT get clean, and she rides a black dressage saddle-- let me call DM and find out how she gets them white again!!!

pinkdiamondracing
Oct. 3, 2009, 10:34 AM
Auburn-- your answer should be forthcoming from the expert FITS washing lady-- she even managed to get the black dye from Sara's new reins that bled all over her white FITS out!!!!!

Auburn
Oct. 3, 2009, 10:39 AM
Yes, the FITS are thicker, so are not transparent. That is one of the reasons that I spent the big bucks. Also, they don't fall down and give you a saggy crotch, like other full seats have done on me. I had almost given up finding a full seat that didn't sag.

Pinkdiamondracing,

You are the best! :yes: Hopefully, you DM will have a suggestion. If I can get them clean, they may have to become "fair weather breeches".

tuppysmom
Oct. 3, 2009, 10:39 AM
I spot clean the fabric with spray and wash, rinse and then throw them in the washer with Woolite. I am not skimpy on the amount of Woolite. I do wash them on a more gentle cycle, but I have been know to use the heavy clean too. Sometimes I rinse them twice if I used a lot of Woolite. Hang to dry.

The green slime, black die, and mud stain have all come right out. I have never tried the dry cleaners so don't know how they turn out there.

Yes, the FITS are thick and nothing shows through them.

glfprncs
Oct. 3, 2009, 11:19 AM
Note to self...wear the beige breeches next time it rains.

Kairoshorses
Oct. 3, 2009, 11:40 AM
I pre-treat, then I (gasp) wash w/ regular detergent. I then treat the leather immediately when the breeches come out (and are still wet). Never had a problem.

Phaxxton
Oct. 3, 2009, 12:55 PM
I also wash mine in regular detergent and even use Clorox 2 (never bleach, though). I wear them frequently and always wash with regular detergent. I have three pairs, and the two schooling pairs get washed at least 1x per week. I have had no problems and have had them about a year. I don't treat the leather or anything, and I just hang them to dry. They're still in great shape.

The important thing with stains is to pretreat and wash ASAP. I would try some stain pretreaters (Shout or Stain Stick) on the stains and wash them with a regular detergent. All is my favorite, but I've also had success with Wisk. Tide works really well, too, but I'm allergic to it.

Phaxxton
Oct. 3, 2009, 12:58 PM
I don't have your answer, but I do have a question. My friend has been looking for white breeches that are not so see through. Are the FITS pretty thick? She tried the new Pikeur and Ariat, both seemed transparent.
It is time to replace her very old pair of white breeches, back from the days the material was a little less revealing!
Thanks

They are very thick and not at all transparent. They are actually the only white breeches I've ever tried that AREN'T see-through. :yes:

JeanieClarke2141
Oct. 3, 2009, 01:13 PM
I wash my FITS and all breeches with leather seats or knee patches (as well as my Mattes pads and other sheepskin stuff) in Pert Plus two-in-one shampoo plus conditioner. Works great - gets the clothes clean and keeps leather and wool like new. And it's CHEAP.

Auburn
Oct. 3, 2009, 02:32 PM
Yay! I will try these suggestions and (hopefully) save the $25 it was going to cost to send them to the leather cleaner person. I have until next Thursday to try the suggestions.

Since the FITS were so expensive, I was afraid to try anything other than what it says on the label. When the folks at FITS did not have a better solution ( except the cleaners), I figured that someone on COTH could help me.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! :yes: I will let you know what works.

BigMick
Oct. 3, 2009, 03:00 PM
I actually found that I couldn't get the fabric clean at all using Leather Therapy. So, I use regular detergent and occasionally treat the leather while still damp with the LT conditioner stuff.

I always keep a bottle of Shout with me at shows and spray spots on breeches, saddle pads, etc. right away so it's not such a PITA to clean later.

Eventer55
Oct. 3, 2009, 08:08 PM
I posted a few weeks ago about dyeing breeches. . . why because I wore my FITTs breeches in the pouring rain, got filthy dirty and could not get the dirt out. I ended up dyeing them blue and not with good results. I am now looking for a professional dye person.

I will not wear white breeches again and wil not buy white Fitts, too expensive. Although I loved the fact that they are thick and not see through.

lstevenson
Oct. 3, 2009, 09:40 PM
Have you tried Oxyclean?

Zephyr
Oct. 3, 2009, 10:05 PM
My favorite white cotton show shirt got dyed from my black jacket liner during the dressage at Jump Start. Washed that sucker 3 times to no avail. At least it can be soaked in bleach as a last resort, though!

Also ruined the nap on my black velvet show helmet, and my beige show breeches have diagonal black lines across the thighs from the bottom hem of my jacket... ARGGGGG!!!

Eventer55
Oct. 4, 2009, 09:02 AM
I tried everything including oxy.:no:

sch1star
Oct. 4, 2009, 09:48 AM
- Now that is one I haven't heard before! How much do you use per wash?

arnika
Oct. 4, 2009, 02:58 PM
Pert Plus?
- Now that is one I haven't heard before! How much do you use per wash?

That's because it's hair shampoo!:D

Auburn
Oct. 5, 2009, 04:46 PM
OK. I have now tried using all of the suggestions, to no avail. The breeches are now on their sixth wash cycle. :no::no: I am now trying GooGone, Dawn with Oxyclean and Tide. If that doesn't work, then I am going to try Simple Green. There has to be some way to get these breeches clean!

Romany
Oct. 5, 2009, 05:26 PM
My favorite white cotton show shirt got dyed from my black jacket liner during the dressage at Jump Start. Washed that sucker 3 times to no avail. At least it can be soaked in bleach as a last resort, though!

Also ruined the nap on my black velvet show helmet, and my beige show breeches have diagonal black lines across the thighs from the bottom hem of my jacket... ARGGGGG!!!

To Zephyr and Eventer55 - Dylon has a product for stripping the colour out of virtually any fabric to prepare for dyeing it; I wonder if it would work for the stains you can't get out? It's supposed to work without wrecking the fibres, unlike bleach/Clorox.

http://www.dylon.co.uk/

To the OP - that's surprisingly poor customer service from the FITS folks; given the price point, I'd expect something a leeetle more constructive. JMO, though.

gold2012
Oct. 5, 2009, 11:49 PM
I have bought 3 pair of fitts for my daughter. The first pair were white. The first time she wore them, they got pretty dirty. It is a HORSE show, but I washed them EXACTLY as recommended from the guy I bought them from. I then hung them to dry, as instructed. The leather split. I used woolite. ?

Well, I figure heck, shoot, they are so nice, and soft, and really pretty, so dumb me, we buy her yet another pair of white full seats and tan full seats. I MUST have done something wrong, so this time, I REALLY take good care to wash them as soon as we get home, on cold, on gentle cycle, in some special shampoo the lady sold me...

GUESS WHAT? The leather still dried out, and I laid them flat, and everything. This time I actually treated the leather with some sort of leather conditioner...guess what happened, the leather dried out AGAIN. Perhaps there is something in the water from the city, I dunno....but I will tell you this:

In July we were at Rebecca farm and I took the pair that wasn't too bad that she couldn't wear to a dealer there, and asked them if they could replace them. I explained to her what I did to take care of them, and that by this time, they had been washed two times...and were dried out. One leg was cracked, the other was almost normal...but a little dry. Well, they didn't see fit, no pun intended, to replace them, nor did whoever owns fitts. So....my advice, don't buy them unless you are truley a diva that won't get them dirty...We won't be buying another pair. I must say this too, we now own two pair of Pikeur? Spelled right I hope, and we have never had a problem one washing them. I put some oxy clean in, instead of anything else, and they come out looking like new. My husband accidently cleaned them after a particularily bad day of showing in mud, and they came out spotless. He didn't know he wasn't suppose to do this.

Not saying they don't have a good product, but as far as I can tell, and after talking to some other folks who had something simliar happen, I just can't afford to buy a new pair of breeches to throw away after one or two wearings.

FlightCheck
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:06 AM
Huh.
I love, love my beige FITS, wish I could afford another pair.

However, in conjunction with what the OP said, from the first time I wore them, there are some small stains that would NOT come out - the stains are small enough that they are not visible from the judge's box, but *I* know they are there.

And this was from merely putting them on to go ride my dressage test, and taking them off immediately after (yea for 12yr olds who want to be grooms!)

So I would buy them again (if I win the lottery), but would Scotch-guard the *(%#$$ out of them before wearing.

HollysHobbies
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:23 AM
Yikes, I just chuck them in the regular wash...I have a beige pair (schooling) and white pair (shows)...they clean up great. I don't put them on HOT, but I use warm, regular detergent (for me, that's eco friendly detergent these days), then hang em up. Fits white gets worn at shows only when NOT raining. I wear the beige pair 2-3 days a week in my regular schooling breech rotation--they get no special treatment...worn them probably 30X, washed 10x. I have an old 1980s washing machine on it's last legs.

Boy, I'd be :mad: if they were ruined after one wash (especially if you followed their guidelines) and the company didn't replace them!!

Mine were bought a while ago and sat around until I decided such expensive beige breeches couldn't wait for shows!

Kairoshorses
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:00 AM
I wonder if it isn't something in the water? Like I said, I've had mine THREE YEARS and I've washed them in regular wash w/ leather therapy rinse....and they are super.

tuppysmom
Oct. 6, 2009, 10:38 AM
I just washed two pairs that were worn at two events, on two horses doing all three phases, in the heat, travelled home by airplane in a carry on and sat in the laundry room for 2 weeks. They came out fine. One pair that is older, as in have been in use since year before last, have a little black at the knees on the leather. I did try rubbing the Leather Therapy conditioner on both pair this time. Have never done that before.

I just have never had any problems with getting them clean. DDs everyday FITS get worn all day long and are washed often. The leather gets a bit dry and stiff after washing now. She just wears them and in a few minutes they are soft as new. One pair is at least 3 years old and still look like new.

I have purchased a lot of breeches over the last 20 plus years and I can only say that I wish FITS would make a man's breech. DH is terribly hard on breeches. He would be the ultimate test for them LOL.

Auburn
Oct. 6, 2009, 03:25 PM
Tuppysmom,

Since your FITS are at least 3 years old, do you think that FITS could have used a different fabric back then? Mine were purchased right before the KY Classique, at the end of August '09. If they have changed the fabric, then maybe they ought to go back to what they used for your breeches.

I have now tried all of the suggestions that everyone gave me. The breeches have been washed 6 times. Some of the staining has faded, but is still visible. The beige spots from the wet jumping arena footing are still there.

I am hoping that my dressage coat will cover some of it. If not, then I will just look a mess. I did not pay $200+ dollars just to have them hang in my closet. :mad:

tuppysmom
Oct. 6, 2009, 11:16 PM
We have a 2009 pair also. They did change the leather on the white breeches, for the better.

So sorry you are having this problem Auburn.

eventrider
Oct. 6, 2009, 11:39 PM
I can vouch for both Pikeur breeches and RJ Classic breeches to wash extremely well and not hold stains. I ride in them both at events on multiple horses and then throw them in the wash on gentle cycle with regular detergent...never had a problem. I even fell off in the mud in my RJ Classics and got a huge grass stain all down the left side and knee. Was sure they were trash. But they looked like new as soon as they came out of the wash. Sorry I cannot help with the FITS problem, but I can tell you both the Pikeurs and RJ's have been black after dressage in the pouring rain and came out of the wash like new.

sisu27
Oct. 7, 2009, 12:59 PM
I have beige and brown FITS and have had no problems getting them clean or with them not standing up. I use Woolite and hang to dry. Both of mine are less than a year old.

For you Leather Therapy users do you have HE machines? I am afraid to use anything but HE detergents for fear of damaging my machine but might like to add the rinse for my sheepskin stuff.

roki143
Oct. 7, 2009, 01:52 PM
I have a pair of FITS that I ride in often, do absolutely NOTHING special to, and my SO even has dried (:eek:) them a couple of times! After I discovered them in the dryer, I did put a bit of leather conditioner on the leather, but they seem none-the-worse for it.

They aren't white though... that would be 'nother story.

Auburn
Oct. 7, 2009, 02:36 PM
I have a pair of navy FITS, which were purchased before I bought the white ones. Since I have never had a problem getting them clean, I figured that I would buy the white. The FITS do not sag on me, which is why I wanted to try the white ones. Tess has improved so much in her dressage work that I wanted to look more elegant for her. Oh, well..... If it is raining, I will wear my tan Tropical Rider extended patch breeches and leave the white FITS at home.

I have an he washing machine and have used the Leather Therapy wash and conditioner in it with no problems. Woolite has caused no problems either. Because I am only washing a couple of pairs of breeches, I don't use as much soap.

Equus_girl
Oct. 7, 2009, 03:52 PM
I have beige and brown FITS and have had no problems getting them clean or with them not standing up. I use Woolite and hang to dry. Both of mine are less than a year old.

For you Leather Therapy users do you have HE machines? I am afraid to use anything but HE detergents for fear of damaging my machine but might like to add the rinse for my sheepskin stuff.

I use Leather Therapy with HE machine without problems for breeches and for sheepskin pads :) Your machine will be just fine.