PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Nicole Uphoff?

Keepthepeace
Oct. 3, 2009, 10:02 AM
I haven't heard Nicole Uphoff's name mentioned in awhile...is she still competing or has she retired? Has anyone heard anything about her?

Coreene
Oct. 3, 2009, 11:51 AM
Her Twitter name is GrandGilbert. She's still very active.

Knothead
Oct. 3, 2009, 12:40 PM
Pretty sure she comes to a farm in Maryland once a year for clinics.

slc2
Oct. 3, 2009, 01:15 PM
I think she's doing a lot actually, I think she is giving a lot of clinics, showing, training, etc. I think people usually hit the 'media horizon' for very brief periods of their career, the 'media horizon' is like the first 3 places in the Olympics and the WEG. Otherwise we just don't seem to hear anything about people.

vanillabean
Oct. 3, 2009, 02:00 PM
I think she's doing a lot actually, I think she is giving a lot of clinics, showing, training, etc. I think people usually hit the 'media horizon' for very brief periods of their career, the 'media horizon' is like the first 3 places in the Olympics and the WEG. Otherwise we just don't seem to hear anything about people.

Unless you pay the folks at Dressage Daily enough to announce every time you win a training level ride, LOL.

slc2
Oct. 3, 2009, 02:07 PM
This is my point exactly.

There is like one website, and people are relying on it. I actually think it's unrealistic to expect them to change what they do. They do what they do, that's all they do.

We need more websites of different types. I think it stinks that the fei tv is so expensive, too. :)

And admit it - much of the internet news is worth less than what we pay for it...the internet has brought media news coverage to a new low. When I first saw 'Idiocracy', I was like...'Come ON, it ain't that bad!' Then I watched Nancy Grace, LOL, and I was saying, 'We should be right there in about six months' (I LOVE 'FOX NEWS!- BLAM!' LOL).

But even worse, equestrian media has always been extremely weak, what we're seeing right now isn't new. The coverage is very partial and we usually hear only one point of view on any one competition or performance. It certainly has gotten better, but it still ain't great.

Most of the time, I read the dressage news, and in fact, most internet news on most topics, and think it's either very bland and vague, or very one sided cult of the personality (either for or against, LOL). I think the newspapers that followed the tradition of responsible, balanced journalism never did have much to do with our equestrian press. The internet hasn't improved this.

Frankly, if I want decent, balanced reporting on an equestrian issue, I read the Chronicle. They cover issues in a balanced way, they cover more of the pivotal competitions, and overall, they just seem to put in an awful lot of effort to make the articles factual, balanced and concise.

egontoast
Oct. 4, 2009, 06:07 AM
Good save there on the foot in mouth thing.:lol:

What exactly do you expect the 'equestrian media" to be reporting about Nicole Uphoff that they aren't doing already? Hmm?:confused:

CapitolDesign
Oct. 4, 2009, 08:37 PM
Nicole frequently gives clinics in US