PDA

View Full Version : bridle suggestion

scubed
Oct. 1, 2009, 02:40 PM
I have a TB who (like many TBs) is thin skinned. Despite careful microteking, rubbing off sweat marks, drying, brushing, etc his face, he is developing rub marks from the bridle cheekpieces. Any thoughts about bridles with softer or lined leather to help alleviate this?

xcPayge
Oct. 1, 2009, 07:04 PM
The perfect bridle for any thin skinned horse is a padded bridle. They tend to rub less and are much more comfortable for them to wear. But in your case, since your horse has a much more severe reaction i would highly suggest, other then washing your bridle after every use, the new ThinLine padded bridle. It's a bit pricey, but they last forever and are GREAT quality. Here's a link:

http://www.victorycanter.com/product.php?productid=21559

They also come with the ThinLine reins which are seriously amazing! They are non-slip and lined with the thinline material, but don't wear out like normal rubber reins. I think it's definitely worth the price. :)

VCT
Oct. 1, 2009, 07:29 PM
I got the Barnsby Comfort Event Bridle from Smartpak. It's padded and comes with rubber reins. My bald faced sensitive skinned horse give it two thumbs (hooves?) up.

scubed
Oct. 1, 2009, 07:56 PM
I do wash the bridle after every use (wipe down entire bridle with wet rag, then with microtek, then clean with leather new soap, then wipe down with a dry rag). Sadly, the Barnsby comes only in horse size, but the thinline looks interesting. The thinline padding is on the crown, browband and noseband and his worst rubbing is from the cheekpieces (which are not padded in my current bridle, which does have a padded browband and noseband) and probably don't come padded. On the other hand, I am a total bridle 'ho and the thinline just looks interesting enough to try (since any excuse will do) and for anyone else suckered into this, it is $70 cheaper here: http://www.thinlineinc.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=144

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 1, 2009, 10:03 PM
The verspucci (sp?) bridles are pretty soft with padding. Could he be reacting to the soap you are using to clean your tack?

Maybe also look at his nutrition.....most of my thinn skinned TBs in the past (and now) seem to do better on MSM. NO idea why this seems to help but it does.

OneMoreForTheRoad
Oct. 2, 2009, 10:30 AM
my thin skinned TB has a vespucci for shows and a padded Plymouth from smartpack for schooling. And the vespucci is amazing, about the same price but last time I checked it doesn't come with reins :(
But I also think it might be a reaction to the soap, or maybe the bridle not fitting well? I used to use leather-new and the same thing happened to my horse, so at the request of one of my trainers I switched to Leather Therapy and he doesn't have any problems anymore.

VCT
Oct. 2, 2009, 02:48 PM
Hey scubed,

In case you can't find something that works, you might try out the Barnsby, even though it comes in horse size. My pinto has is 16 hands and has a fairly average horse sized head and he is on the second longest holes on the cheek pieces and noseband. Point being, it can be adjusted to be much smaller. There are many holes available to make it smaller.

Anyways, just a thought in case you can't find what you need it might be worth trying out.