View Full Version : Katie Price: “It was my marriage or my horses”

torontodressage
Oct. 1, 2009, 11:27 AM
From Horse and Hound

Katie Price: “It was my marriage or my horses”
Victoria Marston, H&H editorial and online assistant

29 September, 2009

Check out the latest H&H subscription offers >>

The relationship between former glamour model Katie Price and dressage rider Andrew Gould has come under the spotlight once again, after Katie admitted that her marriage to pop singer Peter Andre did end because of him.

In an interview with OK magazine, Katie said that pop singer Andre gave her an ultimatum to move her horses from the trainer's yard, or their marriage was over.

"I looked into [moving] somewhere else but I thought, hang on, why should I have to move my horses?" Katie told OK.

"It basically got to the point where it was my marriage or my horses."

When questioned about Peter Andre's jealousy over their relationship, Andrew told OK he thought it stemmed from Andre never being involved with Katie's passion for dressage.

"I don't think he was that interested in Katie's riding, and then because he was never involved, his imagination ran wild," said Andrew.

Andrew's wife, Polly, also took part in the interview and was even photographed with the pair in a raunchy photo shoot — inspired by Jilly Cooper's saucy novel Riders.

But despite the Goulds apparent willingness to laugh off the affair accusations that were circulating earlier in the year, both acknowledged that it was difficult receiving so much media attention.

"It put a lot of strain on our relationship at that time," admitted Andrew.

Calhoun
Oct. 1, 2009, 12:11 PM
I think Katie Price, the media wh@re, could put a strain on any relationship.

rabicon
Oct. 1, 2009, 12:42 PM
The sad part is that others are being dragged into her mess. Oh well.

goeslikestink
Oct. 1, 2009, 01:04 PM
i will admit i though that

TheHorseProblem
Oct. 1, 2009, 02:53 PM
I don't know who Katie Price is, but has anyone read "Jilly Cooper's saucy novel Riders"? That sounds intriguing.

Liz Steacie
Oct. 1, 2009, 02:58 PM
Ah, Rupert Campbell-Black, the man of my dreams :-)

Quest52
Oct. 1, 2009, 03:00 PM
few things... one.. I've never heard of the novel and it sounds like a good one to read. :)

And about Katie... well... she's given dressage a name I guess. I guess now people know what it is.. but man... too bad its the view it is.. with her big pink trailer and her made horses with the curb cranked and water skiing happening.
SIGH.

see u at x
Oct. 1, 2009, 03:04 PM
If what they say about Peter Andre is true, I'll bet he never, ever dates another horsewoman again. :lol:

I haven't read any of the Jilly Cooper books, but I do hear that they're quite raunchy and entertaining indeed.

Coreene
Oct. 1, 2009, 03:09 PM
Read Jilly's Rutshire Chronicles series in this order:

Riders
Rivals
Polo
The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous
Appassionata
Score
Pandora
Wicked

Next to come is The Village Horse. Can't wait.

TheHorseProblem
Oct. 1, 2009, 03:41 PM
Read Jilly's Rutshire Chronicles series in this order:

Riders
Rivals
Polo
The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous
Appassionata
Score
Pandora
Wicked

Next to come is The Village Horse. Can't wait.

RUTshire? As in rutting season?:lol::lol::lol:

2ndyrgal
Oct. 1, 2009, 03:57 PM
who???
Not that trashy wench with the pink horse box?

Timex
Oct. 1, 2009, 04:12 PM
Wait, I'm supposed to give a rats behind who this woman is?? 'Former model', I've got idea who she is. And you're all so concerned about her, why, exactly? I don't get it.

Foxtrot's
Oct. 1, 2009, 05:02 PM
Can anybody speculate who Rupert Campbell-Black was modelled after? I've always wondered.

spotted mustang
Oct. 1, 2009, 05:11 PM
Katie Who?
Andrew What?
Andre Where?

fiona
Oct. 1, 2009, 06:12 PM
Can anybody speculate who Rupert Campbell-Black was modelled after? I've always wondered.

Here you go, all real people, and yes, sooooo true, especially Polo

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/05/10/1021002393261.html

Long Spot
Oct. 1, 2009, 06:20 PM

Billy was the one that had my heart. Damn that Janie.

Roan
Oct. 1, 2009, 06:49 PM
:yes:

If you haven't read it, get it :)

That one and Polo. My two favs.

Eileen

Alagirl
Oct. 1, 2009, 06:55 PM
and once again I am wondering who that is...... :confused:

Nojacketrequired
Oct. 1, 2009, 07:04 PM
Rupert Campbell-Black was great, but I love Billy as well.
Who was it jumped their horse over the sofa after Olympia?
Remember when What's-her-names breeches ripped over the oxer?
That horse named after a snake that Rupert tried to ride after he was re-habbed by...oh WHAT was his name?

I've GOT to get my dog-eared copy out again.

Ah...good times.

If you haven't read Riders, take a few sick days, grab some soda and your favourite snack food, turn off the phone and get ready for a great ride!

NJR

syntheeya
Oct. 1, 2009, 09:06 PM
Rupert Campbell-Black was great, but I love Billy as well.

Oh, the fact that I had it bad for the "gypsy half-breed" Jake Lovell probably says as much about me... only, in my mind he was over 6' tall...:yes:

I read that book on my honeymoon... appropriate smut! :D

rideforthelaurels16
Oct. 1, 2009, 10:24 PM
The sofa-jumper was Rupert, Fenella had the breeches incident, and Macaulay was the rehabbed horse ridden by Jake :)
Jake and Billy were my favorites. Rupert is a shit. ;P

Foxtrot's
Oct. 1, 2009, 11:53 PM
Fiona: that was so clever of you - I'm always amazed at COTHer's ability to unearth the darndest things.

"Riders" was my daughter's first long, real (lusty) novel at about the age of l2 (given to her by a friend who was three years older.) However, reading is reading and she went on to develop a taste for GOOD reading, got a degree and is a photo-journalist. So, Jilly, thank you.

Equilibrium
Oct. 2, 2009, 12:17 AM
Well now that's priceless, pardon the pun. We can't go nearly a day over here without Katie in the news and have to say, really no mention of the horses. And at the moment all we here is about Katie and the Cage Fighter, her new boyfriend, again no horses. And when the marriage broke up instead of running to her horses, she was off to Ibiza for a little table top dancing and flashing her nickers. Again no horses mentioned! And I do believe she's getting her breasts done again only this time it's to re-add the implants. And trust me, I'm not a follower, you just can't help but see the pictures or hear it on the radio!

Terri

Coreene
Oct. 2, 2009, 12:34 AM
Basil Baddingham. Louche, but in a very mmmmm way. ;)

Equa
Oct. 2, 2009, 03:55 AM
I could never get whether Bar Sinister actually meant anything, was a play on words or was cryptic - or was just a wanky 80's name....

slc2
Oct. 2, 2009, 07:27 AM
Simon Bar Sinister was the villain in the Dudley Doo Right animated show, I think.

Coreene
Oct. 2, 2009, 09:52 AM
Tony Baddingham's mom had an affair with an Argie polo player, and Bas was the result. That was the reason given for the name in the book. I just loved his "Who shall we do today?" comments. Too bad the upcoming book is taking so damn long - it's been a long time since Wicked.

Tinypony
Oct. 2, 2009, 10:46 AM
Coreene - What's this about a new Jilly novel?! Details please??? I was just thinking of re-reading the whole series yet again to get my Jilly fix. Might just do so anyway so I'm ready for the next installment. With bells on.

Coreene
Oct. 2, 2009, 11:07 AM
Village Horse, about a group of people with shares in a racehorse; IIRC Rupert is the trainer. Sadly no release date yet, but can't wait for it!

ginger708
Oct. 2, 2009, 11:25 AM
Simon Bar Sinister was the villain in Under Dog. Snivley (sp?) Whiplash bad guy in Dudley Doright.

Big Riders Fan here.

Who cares about Dressage Queens that can't ride. First bad fall and she'll be done:lol:. Do we ever hear of Madonna riding after the broken collar bone. I'm sure she does but is not so quick to brag about it. It's funny but horses do not seem to care about money or fame they are equal opportunity buckers:lol:.

Mozart
Oct. 2, 2009, 11:33 AM
Horrors! :eek:
Does this mean an end to their outstanding reality TV show? The TV in our kitchen was on when an episode was on..I was hoping to catch a glimpse of horses or at least the pink trailer but instead the former love birds were shopping in a sex shop. I pretty much lunged over the kitchen counter to turn it off before my seven year old started asking questions about what kind of toy shop they were in.....

JSwan
Oct. 2, 2009, 11:37 AM
I haven't read any of the Jilly Cooper books, but I do hear that they're quite raunchy and entertaining indeed.

Oh yes, quite. Very very saucy!!!!:D

Katie who? Is she the chick that looks like she rides her horse after coming home from her night job?

Coreene
Oct. 2, 2009, 11:52 AM
Lemme tell ya, I love me da pink horsebox. Pimp my ride at its finest. ;)

JSwan
Oct. 2, 2009, 12:02 PM
Lemme tell ya, I love me da pink horsebox. Pimp my ride at its finest. ;)

Well - visibility certainly isn't a problem!! :lol: I do love those horseboxes.

FancyFree
Oct. 2, 2009, 12:26 PM
Who cares about Dressage Queens that can't ride. First bad fall and she'll be done:lol:. Do we ever hear of Madonna riding after the broken collar bone. I'm sure she does but is not so quick to brag about it. It's funny but horses do not seem to care about money or fame they are equal opportunity buckers:lol:.

I think Madonna does still ride. She's doing eventing.

Thylacine
Oct. 2, 2009, 01:46 PM
Here you go, all real people, and yes, sooooo true, especially Polo

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/05/10/1021002393261.html

I shan't spoil it for those who haven't read Riders. But I will say that Jilly had a 'couple of friends' who make international news daily who, Rupert, Billy, Jake, Helen and Fenella *actually* are supposed to be, at least in Riders. Once Riders was done and dusted she just carried those characters forward into the other books.

Helens character is so easy to guess if one paid attention to what was happening in the 80s. Cooper just did the ol' switch-a-roo with what some "characters" were getting up to in real life and attributed that to other "characters". (but funnily enough *not* with the Helen character. ;))

BTW Parker-Bowles is mentioned in the foreward.

Ms Cooper has extremely powerful friends, and she's managed to do what very few other authors have in revealing those people while managing to retain their friendship. Knowing where so many bodies are buried would be very stressful i should imagine.

I take my hat off to her, she's achieved what many have tried and failed to do - that she got the horse scene so right meant that the spotlight was taken off the real protaganists. (and wrote a damn good adult horsey read!) :cool:

It's actually a very telling book. :)

"Jordan"? I have a horny broodmare that behaves with more class around the teaser than she displays. She is not someone i'd want my daughter (or any girls) having as an 'idol'.

SBrentnall
Oct. 2, 2009, 01:53 PM
Madonna was on Letterman the other night, and she said her insurance company won't let her ride while she's doing her tour. Makes sense, I guess.

mp
Oct. 2, 2009, 02:04 PM
Simon Bar Sinister was the villain in Under Dog. Snivley (sp?) Whiplash bad guy in Dudley Doright.

Close. It was Snidely Whiplash. God, I loved that cartoon. Horse used to beat Dudley at poker.

And thanks for ID'ing SBS. I was racking my brain.

Long Spot
Oct. 2, 2009, 02:10 PM
I'm lost on who Helen was. First instinct after what you've written is maybe a certain misunderstood Princess? Thylacine? Thoughts?

I still say little things from the book. "Tear a strip off" of someone, have a case of "gypie tummy", and when I'm pulling tansy from the pastures I laugh and think of putting some in my left boot etc.

That book kept me going when I was a working student in the early 90's with a BNT eventer. No TV, no room mates, and a cot. And my copy of Riders. I need to replace it. Some of the pages have fallen out and the cover is long gone.

JSwan
Oct. 2, 2009, 02:12 PM
I think Madonna does still ride.

Horses?;)

Long Spot
Oct. 2, 2009, 02:15 PM
Horses?;)

She was supposedly at WEF last year.

Mozart
Oct. 2, 2009, 02:17 PM
I'm lost on who Helen was. First instinct after what you've written is maybe a certain misunderstood Princess? Thylacine? Thoughts?

That was my suspicion....but it seems too obvious...

IrishWillow
Oct. 2, 2009, 02:22 PM
I don't know who Katie Price is, but has anyone read "Jilly Cooper's saucy novel Riders"? That sounds intriguing.

Jilly Cooper is my very guilty pleasure :lol:

Roan
Oct. 2, 2009, 02:41 PM
Would be rather cool if Ms. Cooper wrote a novel with a dressage Queen theme. Heck, base it on Price if need be :D

Wouldn't that make a saucy read? Heh.

Eileen

TheHorseProblem
Oct. 2, 2009, 03:01 PM
Close. It was Snidely Whiplash. God, I loved that cartoon. Horse used to beat Dudley at poker.

And thanks for ID'ing SBS. I was racking my brain.

Thanks for the earworm, people.;)

ginger708
Oct. 2, 2009, 03:28 PM
So just purchased a copy of Rivals on Powells.com can't wait to get it in my grubby little hands. I had no idea that there was books after Riders. I should say that I did not realize that she carried some of theses characters in to other novels. As far as Madonna and this Kate chick. I hope that their next major riding accidents hurt only their pride and that somebody films it and puts it on youtube.;)

esdressage
Oct. 2, 2009, 03:44 PM
Getting ready to purchase saucy horse literature right now. Very exciting ;)

Don't care much about the other stuff... some former model with a pink trailer who loves attention? Not nearly as compelling as the novels.

Coreene
Oct. 2, 2009, 04:07 PM
And for you Jilly fans, try Fiona Walker's French Relations and the sequel Well Groomed. Riders with eventing instead of showjumping. She's working on the third installment, and she has her own training barn so she knows of what she speaks.

There's also her Tongue in Cheek and its sequel Love Hunt, which is dressage and hunting. A tiny bit of crossover from the characters in the Hugo and Tash books.

Really, ladies, if you need a Jilly fix and have read all of hers already, try the Fiona Walker ones. You will not be disappointed!

Foxtrot's
Oct. 2, 2009, 05:21 PM
Gee - thanks (quickly going over to Amazon.com to see what's available.)

Roan
Oct. 2, 2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks, Coreene!

Heading to Amazon :)

Eileen

Thylacine
Oct. 3, 2009, 01:28 AM
Whats that old saying, Long Spot: always go with your first answer ?

:winkgrin:

Long Spot
Oct. 3, 2009, 03:02 PM
Whats that old saying, Long Spot: always go with your first answer ?

:winkgrin:

YAY!!! I feel so smart now!

Carol O
Oct. 3, 2009, 08:05 PM
Jake Lovell.

Read the book.

Rupert... Who hasn't met a Rupert or two, or twelve? Met one again a couple of days ago. They are sad, really.

So where can I se the "Riders" inspired photos?

Whisper
Oct. 3, 2009, 11:21 PM
I could never get whether Bar Sinister actually meant anything, was a play on words or was cryptic - or was just a wanky 80's name....
It's an old-fashioned term for someone whose parents weren't married at the time of the birth.

belambi
Oct. 4, 2009, 01:54 AM
Interestingly enough I didnt see this thread, but watched Riders on TV last night. I also have the movie , but the book is a way better form of media than the film.
Opening scene

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1926832/riders1.wmv

slc2
Oct. 4, 2009, 06:22 AM
My goodness what a show.:dead: