PDA

View Full Version : hysterectomy and riding

kyredhed
Oct. 1, 2009, 09:20 AM
Okay here goes... This is completely off topic. But so many women have had hysterectomies. I would like to know how having a hysterectomy has effected your riding. Do you still ride as much as you did? Are you afraid to ride? Do you feel any different while riding? Did the doctors tell you not to ride? Does riding help the pelvic floor muscles?
I had a hysterectomy back in November. My recovery went well until 11 weeks. I went back to work and started having problems with hormones, back and a aggravating feeling down below(like panties rubbing or something) . Just could be all in my mind because I read too much on the net and I had a LAVH.
Anyway I am riding again, but in the back of my mind I keep thinking about it. Please give me some reassurance that everything will be just fine. I had cervic,uterus, ovaries removed.
I am doing better but still ..... not 100 percent.
I do alot of trail riding on a rocky mountain.

thanks....

pj
Oct. 1, 2009, 10:33 AM
Okay here goes... This is completely off topic. But so many women have had hysterectomies. I would like to know how having a hysterectomy has effected your riding. Do you still ride as much as you did? Are you afraid to ride? Do you feel any different while riding? Did the doctors tell you not to ride? Does riding help the pelvic floor muscles?
I had a hysterectomy back in November. My recovery went well until 11 weeks. I went back to work and started having problems with hormones, back and a aggravating feeling down below(like panties rubbing or something) . Just could be all in my mind because I read too much on the net and I had a LAVH.
Anyway I am riding again, but in the back of my mind I keep thinking about it. Please give me some reassurance that everything will be just fine. I had cervic,uterus, ovaries removed.
I am doing better but still ..... not 100 percent.
I do alot of trail riding on a rocky mountain.
thanks....

Had the same many years ago and felt so much better that I doubled my riding.
They did put me on hormones though and I took those for years.

You need to talk to your doctor if you aren't feeling 100 percent as you should have been completely over it looooong time ago.

I feel like the surgery was the best thing I ever did for myself.

Lori
Oct. 1, 2009, 02:12 PM
I was spayed nearly 10 years ago. I was back on my pony within about 3 weeks. Other than what I think was normal healing pain if I overdid things, I don't remember any troubles with riding. I do have one ovary left, so maybe that made a diffrence.

equineartworks
Oct. 1, 2009, 02:14 PM
I had mine done 13 years ago at 29. Felt better in recovery than I did when I went it :lol: I don't think it has had any effect what so ever on riding for me other than giving me the chance to actually leave the house and ride! :)

JustTrails
Oct. 1, 2009, 08:06 PM
Had my TAH in 2002. Quick recovery, no problems. I am able to ride more often because I don't have the problems that kept me from riding any longer:D

At a year out, it seems you should be completely healed. I don't how much riding strengthens the pelvic floor, Kegel exercises are good for that. It is possible that what you are feeling is nerves reacting to being cut during surgery. Now that I think about it, that was something I felt for quite a while. Perhaps your doctor can advise you better.

FatCatFarm
Oct. 1, 2009, 08:44 PM
Had it done laparoscopically and robotically back in March but I kept my ovaries and my cervix. First couple of months the hormones were still annoying last couple months, just fine. No discomfort and other than a little extra fatigue here and there, doing great. Sure as hell don't miss the monthly ordeal!

luise
Oct. 1, 2009, 08:49 PM
Just FYI--anyone who has a hysterectomy but leaves their ovaries in shouldn't have any problems with hormones. The ovaries are still functioning normally.

PRS
Oct. 1, 2009, 09:30 PM
I had mine about 7 years ago and had a very quick physical recovery and was back on my horse in 6 weeks. I felt so much better afterwards! I had so much pain before that I don't know how I was able to ride at all. Now I feel free to enjoy riding pain free.

Oh, yeah I still have my ovaries and didn't have an abdominal incision so my recovery was real fast. I was back at work part time in a week! Doc gave me strict instructions to stay out of the barn though :(

kyredhed
Oct. 1, 2009, 09:42 PM
You guys are certainly lifting my spirits! thanks. Yeah if you leave your ovaries your hormones should be working great. Thanks for the info about the nerves healing back, that makes since. My back gives me grief, but does not hurt when i ride my horse.
I always fear the worse. I looked on hystersister but some of those women on there are constantly or so it seems are looking for problems.
I was fine until my 9th week. That is when my back went haywire! I went the chiropractor and he adjusted my hips and i seemed to have gotten better. Then a bowel impactment(didn't even know those existed). then i got better again, went back to work as a school cook and back went out again and hormones haywire.
I have suffered on and off with the back for 17 years after a horse threw me, then was thrown again last sept!
I have since got the hormones right! just dealing with the rubbing feeling and back.
I was really good during my recovery, i didn't lift anything i was not supose to lift for 6 weeks, did not lift anything over 20 pounds for 12 weeks.
I have not stopped riding, riding is my prozac! I love it!
You all are great! I am feeling better already, you have given me a up lift that is for sure.
My doctor told me riding was like doing kegals! yep that is what he said! I ride a rocky mountain horse. You can find me on youtube. search cathyseals27 and see my videos. Again thanks to all who are posting! Please continue! you all are better than taking hormones!

SmokenMirrors
Oct. 1, 2009, 10:07 PM
Had a vaginal hysterectomy about 5 and a half years ago, keeping my ovaries only. Because of the internal stitches I wasn't allowed to ride till my 6 week check up, then only at a walk. No lifting, no dragging for a while till I was healed up internally as well.

I LOVED having a hysterectomy, I had to do so due to health reasons and the first time I wore white panties, I cried! My health greatly improved, I got off of all the medication I was on and am so much more healthier, I would of done it sooner had I known how bad my health really was prior.

Arab/WBGirl
Oct. 1, 2009, 10:40 PM
I had an abdominal hysterectomy 3/4 years ago. I kept my ovaries. Let me just say that I am THE poster child for hysterectomy. Best thing I have EVER done. I would do it again in a heartbeat. My OB-GYN is a horsewoman herself (used to show arabs and quarterhorses, now has slightly over 100 tennesee walkers!) so she understood that it was important for me to be able to ride. I was back walking 2 miles perday 5 days after my surgery (keep in mind that before surgery I would walk between 8 and 12 miles perday every day for exercise) and back to work in a little over a week. No heavy lifting for 6 weeks for me, and back in the saddle 3 weeks after my surgery. I am very happy I had it done.

JustTrails
Oct. 2, 2009, 01:33 AM
I wonder if as horsewomen we recover faster and in a better way than non-horsewomen? It is just interesting to me that friends who are not horsey had issues with recovery, while my fellow horsey friends recovered quickly and were back to riding ASAP. Perhaps we use muscles we are unaware of while grooming/saddling/riding that others don't.

JustTrails
Oct. 2, 2009, 01:34 AM
I wonder if as horsewomen we recover faster and in a better way than non-horsewomen? It is just interesting to me that friends who are not horsey had issues with recovery, while my fellow horsey friends recovered quickly and were back to riding ASAP. Perhaps we use muscles we are unaware of while grooming/saddling/riding that others don't.

So happy to have finally gotten my hyster done. And to the OP, I hear you about HysterSisters - some women just get stuck there. Keep moving and riding girlfriend!

Mach Two
Oct. 2, 2009, 02:02 AM
A total hysterectomy can leave you with several things that are going to feel different than before. No Uterus means little to no lubrication, which can cause some irritation when riding. You can address that with a dab of KY lubricant or something like that.

And just because a woman in her 40's still has ovaries after a hysterectomy does NOT mean she has the same hormone levels as before. All the parts ae connected, and you take one part away, you take away some of the blood supply for another. Many women go through an accelerated menopause within a year of a partial hysterectomy.
The good news is, once you get used to the differences, you will be glad to be rid of all that troublesome "junk".

kyredhed
Oct. 2, 2009, 07:38 AM
thanks guys! Gosh I love you guys! Horse women are the greatest! It is crazy at the way things are a bit different! It is weird how they say ride your horse but no heavy lifting! something to riding I think helps with the pelvic floor!

Marci
Oct. 11, 2009, 05:20 PM
I just celebrated my 10 years. I was cut from just below belly button to below hairline. Good thing I don't like bikinis. LOL
I started riding at 6 weeks out and haven't looked back. But I did notice that ti took a long time for the nerves to grow back and well sex to feel good again. :winkgrin:
I would do it again in a heartbeat.

kyredhed
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:47 PM
thanks marci. did you keep your ovaries?

aroundtuit
Oct. 17, 2009, 12:12 AM
Good idea to ask your question here, kyredhed. I wondered some of the same things, and didn't think to ask! I had a hyster 2 yrs ago. Started out laproscopically, but proceeded to open me up - the darn uterus was bigger than they originally thought. Kept my overies, eliminated the cervix.

My doc understood my need to get back to riding, so at 6 weeks, I was released to ride. Rode my new horse first, tentatively, so that if it didn't go well, my old reliable gelding could just wait a little longer. New horse went very well, so with a sigh, got on reliable gelding. Old reliable threw a bucking fit that had no end. Never bucked before or since. Broke my right ankle on landing - surgery again. Let me tell you, the ankle took a lot longer to rehab than the abdominal surgery.

Back to riding now, good as new. As a nurse, I will tell you that even if you leave your ovaries, the chances of the surgery causing the ovaries to shut down is great. No one really knows why. So your feelings of sluggishness could be from your thyroid, or from estrogen/female hormone changes. Docs have gotten really good at helping get them balanced out again. Don't put up with feeling like you are fatigued or forgetful.

Keep riding...the physicial exercise will enhance your recovery and we all agree that it helps mentally also!

Bluehorsesjp
Oct. 17, 2009, 01:57 AM
I had a lathroscopic hyst in April. Left cervix and ovaries. I was back riding in 2 weeks and haven't looked back. I have no probelms with rubbing, but I will second who ever mentioned dryness. That could certainly be a factor.
Have you been to get your hormone levels checked? That certainly could help.

As for horse women healing quicker I think we do.
We have strong core muscles and a huge motivation to get back to the barn. If a furry muzzle isn't motivation I don't know what is. I was super lucky that my doctor is also a horseman. When I went in for my 3 week check he was surprised I had waited so long to get back in the saddle :lol:.

Get yourself checked. It can't hurt and keep riding.

horsegeeks
Oct. 17, 2009, 08:58 AM
I had problems but I believe because I'd also stopped riding before the surgery because I felt so rotten. So my muscles were not what they should have been before my surgery.

So the long and the short is. If your pre-operation activities did not limit your riding so that your muscles are affected, you should be just fine.

kyredhed
Oct. 17, 2009, 09:54 AM
you guys are the best! so many women out there have had this done. But also so many women pretend to ride when they don't. I have run across this several times. I believe this sight has the honesty of true horse women and i enjoy talking with you all. You have helped me more than anyone else! It is strange how something like taking out the ovaries and uterus and cervix effected me mentally. I wanted to have it done, thought that would solve all my problems and really it has it was just the mental part. I read way too much stuff on the internet about prolapse and all kinds of stuff. It played on my mind and i think made my complications worse. I am feeling some what better switched hormones and seem to be getting my strength back.

kyredhed
Oct. 19, 2009, 07:37 AM
Gosh... I love you women! For those who have Facebook find me there at Cathy seals Mosier! THere I have a lot of pictures of rides and the Festival of the horse parade in Georgetown Ky.
And thanks so much for all the up lifting stories. I felt so alone because none of my horse riding buddies had went through this and my dr. was not a horse person, she had never been on a horse in her life! (what a shame)
I had so many complications that started in my 3 rd month after returning to work, my back and hormones, that played a lot on my mental health! I assumed the worse and feel into a deep depression. Doctor's wanted to put me on anti depressants. I saddled my horse instead and changed my hormones and worked through it. My horse is my anti-depressant!
It is great that the internet is around, 20 years ago I would have been still wondering about women riding.
You all are a God send.
Thanks again.

BVhorses
Oct. 19, 2009, 08:53 AM
I am so happy to have found this thread. I had a 13 lb ovarian tumor removed, along with everything else except one ovary, back in February. I literally looked full term preggers! I had an incision from breastbone to pelvis to get that sucker out, so lots of healing. I was on restricted activity for 8 weeks, then my Dr. kept me from riding for another 2-3 weeks. She was afraid of hernia. All healed very well and I got back to riding as soon as I could, now an feeling preety good. I still get twinges of pain/itching at the incision site. Some parts of it are still purplish and raised. Although I still have one ovary for hormone production, I am not the same as I was before. I get sore breasts at times and even feel a little crampy. Wierd, but true. Anyway, I did have some apprehension starting riding again, since my abdomen felt so weak. I feared I was not as strong as I was before. I am still working on my core strength, but don't think about it all the time anymore.

ChocoMare
Oct. 19, 2009, 09:11 AM
I am so happy to have found this thread. I had a 13 lb ovarian tumor removed, along with everything else except one ovary, back in February. I literally looked full term preggers! I had an incision from breastbone to pelvis to get that sucker out....

Holy crap! :eek: So glad to hear that you're healing well tho. What a relief that must be for you!!!! :yes:

FatCatFarm
Oct. 19, 2009, 09:36 AM
Holy crap! :eek: So glad to hear that you're healing well tho. What a relief that must be for you!!!! :yes:

Seriously! :eek: Glad you're much better.

kyredhed
Oct. 19, 2009, 11:04 AM
good lord! wow. that was a big tumor! holy crap! And so glad to hear you are better!

kyredhed
Oct. 19, 2009, 11:09 AM
there are so many horse riding women in the world and I started this thread because I knew there had to be a lot of us (hysterhorsewomen) out there. It seems to talk about something like this is a taboo in the horse world. BUt with so many women riding it is comforting to here everyone's story. Horse city is a good place also, but I have a feeling those women don't ride much, I think some of them say they do but they don't, there kids do. It was funny,, they were all talking about riding and then they someone started a topic on "why they quit riding" and some of the women who said they rode commented in that as well.
Honesty is the best policy. If you don't ride on regular basics you should not comment.
I am very honest and I like seeing others who are honest as well.
Men don't know anything about what us women go through on a day to day routine.
we are unique, and I am glad I brought up this on this sight.

cnigh
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:28 PM
I am currently 3.5 weeks post op on my total hyterectomy. So far so good. Sadly I am horseless at the moment, but I was in good shape from working out at the gym before the operation.

I could most likely ride now with out pain. Which at this point is like mild cramping like an above poster said.

jubilee43
Oct. 22, 2009, 10:02 AM
I just had a partial hyst. (abdominal) on 10/19-age 45. I was supposed to be in the hospital for 3 days at least. I was very fit from riding when i went in- at least 4-5 times a week and cantering 4-5 miles with jumping. They released me in less then 24 hrs after surgery. I have a fairly small incision so that helps, but very little pain. I will take 6 weeks off as instructed by so many here and my doctor. I do not feel seriously weakened at this point and am walking normally at normal speed. I was glad to find this thread before surgery and am quite surprised at the lack of fatigue/pain that I thought I would have. Stay fit! Every Dr. who came in was so complimentary to me that I was in good shape and how much that helps.
Woohoo- at my 7 day check up my dr. gave me the go ahead to ride again. I am not cantering and galloping but was able to go out and do a posting trot for a mile and a half. It helped so much to get back out there and no ibuprofen needed!

Marci
Oct. 22, 2009, 03:23 PM
Mine was a big um too. The size of a 5 mo fetus the Dr told me, cut from who-ha to the belly button. I have a Frankenstein scar. But to be rid of the constant bleeding and tiredness was worth it. I almost bled out just before, ended up in emergency needing 5 units of blood.
I healed fast though and was back in the saddle in 6 weeks. But it wasn't until I actually started doing sit ups that I got back my core strength. That was a few years after my surgery. I know my stomach won't ever be flat again. Sigh. And I'm not the person I used to be but I can't really say if it was the years of bleeding leading up to the surgery or the lack of hormones itself. But yes I'm different. But that's OK its better than dead.

kyredhed
Oct. 27, 2009, 07:45 AM
I think women who get their ovaries removed have a tougher time with things. I hope to finally forget everything I went through. I had a tough time adjusting, and what is so sad I wanted it done! Maybe with time I can except my operation better, just never knew I would miss those ovaries so much. This is a great thread for us horse women.

pj
Oct. 27, 2009, 12:04 PM
I think women who get their ovaries removed have a tougher time with things. I hope to finally forget everything I went through. I had a tough time adjusting, and what is so sad I wanted it done! Maybe with time I can except my operation better, just never knew I would miss those ovaries so much. This is a great thread for us horse women.

I still have one overie but at sixty nine I doubt it's doing much!! :)

Even though they left one I still started on hormones and was on them for years. I was thirty eight when I had my surgery. Who needs overies??? Not me. The magic little pills are a steadier supply than naturally produced. No more weepy spells and the like.

I do understand that some women are depressed by the surgery, thinking that they are less woman than before but that's a bunch of crock. Thank the Lord that uterus's and overies are only a small small part of what we are and after all there is only a short time we even need them. What do you need them for unless you want to have babies?

I just know the surgery was the best thing I've ever done for me and if I had to I'd do it all over again!

trubandloki
Oct. 27, 2009, 12:44 PM
I had my spay surgery in February. Done laproscopically, ovaries and cervix left. Followed doctors orders and did not do anything for six weeks and everything is fine now. Best thing I ever did! Yeah for no more miserable cramps and such.

lolalola
Oct. 27, 2009, 11:12 PM
I had everything out due to uterine cancer a few years ago. I've had a lot of surgeries, and the hysterectomy wasn't that bad. Had the surgery in the winter so I wouldn't feel bad about not riding for a couple of months, and then it turned out to be the mildest winter on record and everybody was out riding! Anyway, why do doctors/patients opt to keep ovaries for older women? IMHO, it's one less thing that can get cancer. My doctor did tell me that removing ovaries REDUCED the chance of ovarian cancer, and didn't completely eliminate it because cells could be left behind. That would be just great - to get cancer in an organ I don't even have anymore.

kyredhed
Oct. 28, 2009, 07:40 AM
PJ, you sound like my mom! that is her worlds to a tee! You all are all so wonderful! You have helped me more that any doctor could! I feel so much better mentally just listening to you all. My mind plays tricks on me at times and I hate that! I think because my back was giving me spells after my operation It caused me to freak! (i do have a history of back issues) but it was not hurting when I went in, hurt like heck about 3 months out of recovery! It is better and I still ride. I ride a lot, mostly trails.
I think my biggest problem was I did to much research AFTER the LAVH. I seen a lot of negatives! I was scared that, not to be graphic , that my vaginal vault would fall! Then i read where so many women start exercising,running and riding 4 to 6 weeks after! Then I think heck! I was very very good for 11 weeks! I remember going christmas shopping at 5 weeks and my friend pushing the buggy and carrying everything for me. ahahah. I am so tickled that I started this thread. Horse women are the best! We have a special bond that is like no other. I hope this thread helps others as much as it has helped me! I pray for all those who have suffered the big CANCER scare, I pray it will never rear its ugly head again for you!
http://www.facebook.com/cathy.mosier?ref=profile

kyredhed
May. 20, 2010, 03:06 PM
To all the women who responded to my post, I thank you... I really appreciate it! I have still been riding and try to avoid the negative web sights I use to go to. I hate Hystersisters because they do a lot of complaining on there. You all have helped me get on with my life and showed me how to have strength! Thanks again!

Beau's mom
May. 20, 2010, 04:19 PM
Mine was done in June 2009. Got back in the saddle 6 weeks later. No problems at all. Life is better without the fibroid monsters!

redhorse5
May. 20, 2010, 10:05 PM
While you're at it just have them take out your gallbladder at the same time. The hysterectomy was a pain but I felt WAY better. But the Gallbladder, wow Was that an improvement?!!!! I had stomach pain for years from that and they didn't catch it. Now I feel better than I have in years.

I showed 9 weeks after the hysterectomy and never looked back.

kyredhed
May. 29, 2010, 12:28 PM
I am so glad I found this sight. Horse women have a certain bond, it is almost like you can relate to one another better.
I let myself read to much after my operation. Sometimes knowing too much is not a good thing! There were so many prolapse stories and scarey things on the internet, I freaked.. I thought "My God, what have I done?" But what is done and I can't go back only forward. You all are helping me go forward! Thanks ladies! Maybe this message board will help other women as well!

SpecialEffects
May. 30, 2010, 09:32 PM
I am so happy to have found this thread. I had a 13 lb ovarian tumor removed, along with everything else except one ovary, back in February. I literally looked full term preggers! I had an incision from breastbone to pelvis to get that sucker out, so lots of healing. I was on restricted activity for 8 weeks, then my Dr. kept me from riding for another 2-3 weeks. She was afraid of hernia. All healed very well and I got back to riding as soon as I could, now an feeling preety good. I still get twinges of pain/itching at the incision site. Some parts of it are still purplish and raised. Although I still have one ovary for hormone production, I am not the same as I was before. I get sore breasts at times and even feel a little crampy. Wierd, but true. Anyway, I did have some apprehension starting riding again, since my abdomen felt so weak. I feared I was not as strong as I was before. I am still working on my core strength, but don't think about it all the time anymore.

This post could have been written by me except my tumor was 9 lbs and it had two little 1 lb friends. So yeah I was cut from just under my boobs to where the sun don't shine. And it's not a neat one. I had a 3 month recovery time and it was a while before I started riding. Because of the abdominal muscles that they cut through, I couldn't lift much for a while.

My surgery was 2 1/2 years ago and I don't get sore breasts or crampy but I am numb right along the incision. I can scratch my belly and feel my fingers doing it, but not feel the contact. It's strange. :lol:

I agree that it's the best thing that could have happened. I was so sick and tired of feeling crappy, miserably so, every month. I've had 4 other surgeries since - one of which they suspect was a result of this one, and the only thing I'd like to get back is my strength. I used to be so very strong. Not so much any more and it bugs me. I'm sure it isn't because I'm getting older. ;)

Interesting thread. The first time I've ventured into the trail riding section and I like it! :D

kyredhed
Jun. 7, 2010, 01:27 PM
This post could have been written by me except my tumor was 9 lbs and it had two little 1 lb friends. So yeah I was cut from just under my boobs to where the sun don't shine. And it's not a neat one. I had a 3 month recovery time and it was a while before I started riding. Because of the abdominal muscles that they cut through, I couldn't lift much for a while.

My surgery was 2 1/2 years ago and I don't get sore breasts or crampy but I am numb right along the incision. I can scratch my belly and feel my fingers doing it, but not feel the contact. It's strange. :lol:

I agree that it's the best thing that could have happened. I was so sick and tired of feeling crappy, miserably so, every month. I've had 4 other surgeries since - one of which they suspect was a result of this one, and the only thing I'd like to get back is my strength. I used to be so very strong. Not so much any more and it bugs me. I'm sure it isn't because I'm getting older. ;)

Interesting thread. The first time I've ventured into the trail riding section and I like it! :D

I am glad you found us. So many women have gone through so much in their lives. I am glad you ventured here! Getting strength back after major operation is tough to say the least. I have been walking and riding trying very hard to resume my life. I am a worry wart and always have my operation in the back of my mind, mainly because of tough recovery and reading way to many horror stories! I hope we as women can help each other. hugs.

Cartfall
Jun. 8, 2010, 07:35 AM
13 years ago had a full job done. Best thing that ever happened to me. I was riding distance back in those days and was pretty fit. I was up walking laps around the nurse stations and hallway within 30 hours of my operation. Riding down in the elevator to sit outside because I could not stand being inside all that time.

I was back in the saddle albiet in 7 weeks. Granted, it was at a slower pace, but I built up slowly. But because mine was a vertical cut (had to remove large fibroid), my gut muscles are not pretty now. But you know, at my age, I don;t care. I don;t have a big gut or anything, just no muscle tone.

So if you are not up to your pre-surgery level or at least approaching it, I would be back to that doctor.

kyredhed
Jun. 11, 2010, 03:47 PM
i know i know... i think it is hormone related... drives me nuts... i keep feeling a pinching sensation (you know where) sometimes. Sometimes it does not bother me at all and then sometimes it drives me nuts! It could be just a nerve out of whack.. does not occur all the time. Mainly just in the morning, then goes away. go figure.. been to three different doctors and they all say I have healed up fine.
My recovery was slower than normal I think.
Thanks for all the replies.. one thing though I would like to add, if anyone is considering this operation, leave at least one ovary if posssible.

MsM
Jun. 11, 2010, 04:57 PM
I think one thing to remember is that everyone is different and everyone heals at her own rate. So you will hear from people who took to their beds for six months and people who ran a marathon in six days (well, almost). Some have different types of surgeries, different problems, others have different pain tolerances.
I had an abdominal hyst, leaving ovaries. I did well but hit a plateau at 5 weeks and was frustrated for a couple of weeks that I wasnt back to normal yet. I had some odd sensations and still have some tingling down my right leg that is attributed to the nerves being "insulted". My doctor said hormones can be out of sorts for a while as the ovaries may be similarly insulted and may or may not resume business. Mine did.
BTW I had back issues after my laproscopic gall bladder surgery. I had lots of vomiting and poor pain management and it totally screwed up my back. I didnt understand what was going on and why I was taking so long to recover from a simple little operation. A doctor later explained to me how the pain affected my muscles and how this is one of the reasons to get good pain control - I had essentially sprained my back due to the pain and vomiting! Yuck!

This summer is the fifth anniversary of the hyst. This is notable for me because they found a rare cancer (Know hw fibroids are almost always benign? I'm "almost" - cancer called leiomyosarcoma). So hoping for one last scan and then no more oncologist visits!!!:cool:

kyredhed
Jun. 12, 2010, 02:26 PM
so glad you are better. and you are right, some take longer to get back to feeling normal again... i think my main problem was quilt. I just wanted a quick fix, beat myself up because i didn't ask enough questions! My ovaries were to damaged to keep, so i should not feel quilty.. I don't know.. never would have thought loosing my uterus and ovaries would have such an effect on me... anyway you all have helped build my confidence. and knowing I am not the only horse woman to under go a hysterectomy makes me feel so much better. None of my horse friends have had the operation, so really I felt in the dark. Glad you all are here for me!
My horse is my prozac! without riding would be depressing. You look on all these hyster sites and women are saying no horse riding and no bike riding and no doing anything! I look at my mom who had one 30 years ago, she farms and pretty much got on with her life.
I think sometimes people think that if you have an operation it will disable you for life. I kinda look at my cousin who has lived her life with only one kidney(dare i say due to a horse accident) does it make her any less a woman, HELL NO...
I say thanks again and for those battling cancer, a prayer just went up for you and for those who have taken the time to give me advise.. a big thank you!!! God bless you all!

SpecialEffects
Jun. 19, 2010, 09:57 AM
Well it's been a while since I've had a surgery or been laid up so I just needed the attention again :rolleyes: and dislocated my shoulder on Monday in freaky horse accident.

I want to stop reading about riding and get back to doing it. :yes: Can someone please bubble wrap me!!! :lol:

kyredhed
Jun. 23, 2010, 09:22 PM
sorry to hear that special effects. Hope you get to feeling better soon!

kyredhed
Jul. 14, 2010, 05:40 PM
Hotter than hell in kentucky! looking for a shade tree to sit under!