PDA

View Full Version : Resting HR for an event horse

Ritazza
Sep. 30, 2009, 11:15 PM
Since my horse recently had a bad reaction to a vaccine, I've been religiously taking her TPR and came to an interesting conclusion. Her resting HR is 20. I never remember it being this low before. We did plenty of conditioning this summer, to be sure, and I know people's resting HRs decrease the fitter they get, but I thought horses were not the same. Does 20bpm/min seems a little ridiculous to you? When the vet was out he said it was normal for a fit event horse, but she's only going Novice, about fit enough for Training. It seems really low!!

chestnutwithchrome
Oct. 1, 2009, 12:25 AM
I work at a vet clinic that specializes in race horses, and the lowest heart rate I have ever taken was 24 beats/min, with the majority of them being 28-36 b/m. 20 is crazy low!

tuppysmom
Oct. 1, 2009, 01:04 AM
When my DD did a pony club rating, years ago, she had put in her notebook that her pony had a resting HR of 18 and a resp. rate of 6. The examiner made all kinds of faces at her and disbelieved all that DD had said. It was true, though, the pony could have a resting rate as low as 16 at home.

This pony was in shape, let me tell ya. He was in nearly every lesson that was taught , nearly every day for years. He is 22 now, still sound and still teaching little kids to ride and jump. His resting HR is higher now, about 26 bbm.

Recently when DD was riding the pony bareback with just a halter and leadrope to give a young horse a lead at the water, he snarkily laid down with her in the sand ring to "coat the wet spots". So pony like!

deltawave
Oct. 1, 2009, 12:10 PM
Gwen's was 28 when she was in average fitness, down to about 22-24 when she was really fit. Bonnie's is about 30, she's never BEEN what I'd call "really fit" yet, she's only doing N/T. :)

If the rhythm is regular and normal, I wouldn't consider 20 wildly abnormal, and I'd be MUCH more interested in what it is following exercise and how quickly it returns to normal, anyway.