PDA

View Full Version : You don't see this every day...

Barnfairy
Sep. 30, 2009, 12:52 PM
Seven year old mare Calgirl just broke her maiden, in her second lifetime start (her first was earlier this month), at Suffolk, impressively.

File that under useless trivia.

DickHertz
Sep. 30, 2009, 12:56 PM
There was an 8 year old who broke his maiden in August at MNR. I see it about 3-4 times a year, but it's very rare, especially since most tracks don't allow maidens older than 5 or 6 (which quite frankly is stupid given the decrease in field sizes over the years).

Glimmerglass
Sep. 30, 2009, 02:57 PM
Yep, the NYRA rules (unlike Mass) do say that horse couldn't get on the entry form with her being a maiden at 7.

I wonder what she's been doing all these years?

Delaware TB
Sep. 30, 2009, 10:55 PM
I've got one for you. I once had a 7 yr old mare break her maiden AFTER being a broodmare. R.I.P Hatchet Lady Judi - we'll never forget you!

DickHertz
Sep. 30, 2009, 11:09 PM
Yep, the NYRA rules (unlike Mass) do say that horse couldn't get on the entry form with her being a maiden at 7.

I wonder what she's been doing all these years?

I've talked to a few people who run older maidens and the reasons vary drastically and it's almost always not related to the horse's health. It's divorce, no money to train, bought it to show, and on an on.

SweetDreams
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:07 PM
What is a "maiden"?

texang73
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:24 PM
What is a "maiden"?

A horse that has never won a race.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 14, 2009, 11:57 PM
Another file under trivia and with Suffolk too: Wed Oct 14, 2009 (http://drf.com/news/article/108105.html)

Full siblings Mount Wilton and East Coaster won consecutive races at Suffolk Downs on Wednesday. Both horses are by Graeme Hall out of the Our Emblem mare Eastlynne and were bred in Florida by Eugene Melnyk.

In the sixth race, Mount Wilton won a $10,000 claiming race by 2 3/4 lengths. Ridden by Carlos Quinones and trained by John Rigattieri, the 5-year-old gelding paid $9.80.

East Coaster followed that up in the seventh, a $6,250 claimer, with a two-length score under Yamil Rosario, paying $9.80. It was the 4-year-old filly's seventh local victory for New England Hall of Fame trainer George Handy.

Well brother and sister, nice job! :D

LivviesMom
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:58 AM
I had a 7 year old gelding come into my test barn at woodbine the other day..

Lady Counselor
Oct. 17, 2009, 11:09 AM
Maybe not such a bad thing to let more of these horses mature before undergoing the rigors of racing.
More and more, I've swung round to the position of not liking to see 2-year olds racing. I understand the business aspect of it, but personally would prefer to see horses start, on average, later in life. Might mean less health related issues and more successful careers that way.
It would never, ever happen, but if the Triple Crown races were for 4-year olds, I wonder how sound the group would be compared to the average 3-year old crop? The same? Better? Worse?
Certainly the outcome would be dramatically different if the races were held for 4 year olds, as the late bloomers would have caught up to the precocious ones...
It would be kind of cool if they ever held a 4 year old championship, roughly based on the Triple Crown.

DickHertz
Oct. 17, 2009, 11:14 AM
Maybe not such a bad thing to let more of these horses mature before undergoing the rigors of racing.
More and more, I've swung round to the position of not liking to see 2-year olds racing. I understand the business aspect of it, but personally would prefer to see horses start, on average, later in life. Might mean less health related issues and more successful careers that way.
It would never, ever happen, but if the Triple Crown races were for 4-year olds, I wonder how sound the group would be compared to the average 3-year old crop? The same? Better? Worse?
Certainly the outcome would be dramatically different if the races were held for 4 year olds, as the late bloomers would have caught up to the precocious ones...
It would be kind of cool if they ever held a 4 year old championship, roughly based on the Triple Crown.

That's a notion that many have, but solid scientific data involving tens of thousands of test subjects disagrees with the premise that not racing at 2 is a good thing. However, I have had early 3 year olds with knees of a 10 year old - one had obviously been injected several times as the x-ray showed some deposits from the injections. Any trainer who taps a 2 year old should never tighten a girth on a horse ever again. The man who did this to the gelding I'm referring is an idiot trainer in California. I actually sent him an email about it and he was all cavalier about the whole thing.

Why not have absolutely zero tolerance for any medication in 2 year olds? I know bute is banned, but these babies should have absolutely nothing in their system when the urine and blood is collected.

Just my opinion.

Lady Counselor
Oct. 17, 2009, 01:43 PM
That would be a good thing to do, but unfortunately, you can't regulate stupidity.
You know the kinds of trainers I refer to, those that would run a baby 18 times as a 2-year old and not bat an eye about it.
Not all trainers are true horse people, and many simply run them as many times as they can drop them into the entry box.
I've had two year olds that raced over the years. The typical season for a baby was two, maybe three starts by the end of the year, then take a break over the winter, and come back into it as 3-year olds.
I get the bone modeling thing and the fact that TB's tend to mature faster than a lot of other breeds. Also there is a huge economic incentive to run as soon as you can, as well as retire quickly and make the real money; in the breeding shed.
Oh well, one can only hope that as attitudes change, more and more trainers and owners will opt to allow their big babies (think Eight Belles) to mature a bit more in the hopes of having a longer and more productive career.

lsa
Oct. 21, 2009, 04:52 PM
Sometimes I think that most trainers at the track are not real horse people.

EquineRacers
Oct. 21, 2009, 07:51 PM
Get this. I know a mare who was trained in Jumpers. Owners decided she wasn't going to make it to Grand Prix level so he sent her to the track for race training and to run!!! Mare has never see a track nor even a racing farm. I thought that was crazy!