PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER saddle thread.

LittleblackMorgan
Sep. 30, 2009, 09:47 AM
I need a used dressage saddle. I ride HJ, so this is a new opportunity for me.
My AP doesnt ride nicely with my TB, and the bouncybouncy CAIR in that wintec is brutal on my back and knees, which I never had an issue with on my other horse.
I have the opportunity to purchase a Wintec 500 dressage (with Cair....ugh?) for a song. Do the dressage saddles ride better than an AP?

I have ridden the other horse in an Isabel and it pitched me forward a bit, he has pony gaits though. I am trying the Isabel on her tonight to see if I like it.

I have never experienced the way saddles ride differant on differant horses (not FIT, per se).

Wintec aside, what is a GOOD schooling dressage saddle for under $500? I've been scanning ebay, and the most common in that range is the Stubben Tristan.

And yes, I have checked horsetackreview.com....there are a few conflicting opinions on the Wintec 500 dressage...

Dressage peeps, please advise. Horse is a 16 hand TB, who is currently wearing a narrow tree (which will change as she is muscling up).

Thanks!!

LittleblackMorgan
Sep. 30, 2009, 11:15 AM
NO ONE????????????

quietann
Sep. 30, 2009, 11:27 AM
See the thread for 50-something riders; they are talking about inexpensive saddles there. Thornhills are coming up as a suggestion.

I also hate hate hate CAIR. Some people do have the CAIR system converted to regular wool flocking, but it's expensive and not worth doing unless you are sure that the only problem with the saddle is CAIR.

NJRider
Sep. 30, 2009, 12:20 PM
What tree width do you need? You can often find a ton of nice County Competitor saddles, med. tree out and about for $400-$600 either in ebay or other sites. They are nice saddles and fit TB's very well. Easy to re-sell if it does not work.
Like this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260483839067&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Also if you can find a legitimate Stateline Cambridge Saddle made in England (NOT the ebay imports), they are very well made, wool flocked, and balanced. Often around $500
Ricks has one plus others. A lot of Kieffers you can get for $500 also
http://www.saddlesource.com/
Here is another good resource http://www.middleburgtack.com/

buck22
Sep. 30, 2009, 12:20 PM
there are plenty of good quality used saddles to be found on ebay under $500, the only key is waiting for the right one to show up. I've gotten some very lucky buys under $500, including my stackhouse. Look for older County, crosby, m toulouse's aachen is quite nice, thornhill/jorge canaves, ainsley, collegiate, some passiers. Often, one can find some lovely little known brands out of Walsall, UK that go for a song on ebay because the name isn't commonly recognized, but they are excellent quality saddles. Thorowgoods are also much nicer than their resale price would have one believe.

What is most important when buying on ebay is having a clear sense of your horse's shape, and then getting good photos from the seller.

though its not appropriate for your needs, here is an example of a nice find for a great price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220485849307&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

LittleblackMorgan
Sep. 30, 2009, 12:34 PM
Also if you can find a legitimate Stateline Cambridge Saddle made in England (NOT the ebay imports), they are very well made, wool flocked, and balanced. Often around $500

Unfortunately, the SL saddle doesnt fit the horse. I had one on consignment, a med-narrow tree and the tree fit her, but it bridged. And it was very inexpensive.

I need an 18" seat with preferably a medium-narrow tree. Narrow twist. She is at this time a narrow, but muscling quickly and will soon graduate to a MN. At least with the MN, I can pad it.

HollysHobbies
Oct. 1, 2009, 08:03 AM
You can usually find older passiers, stubbens, countys, and crosby dressage saddles in tack shops--plus, they let you try them! I started in an older passier and a crosby prix st george--both worked on TB types.

try www.middleburgtack.com, www.thetackboxinc.com
trumbell mountain, I've heard is good!!
rick's saddlery

The thing with ebay is, if you know what you want, it's great. If you aren't sure, you can't try the saddles, so you're better off trying used saddles from an online (or local) tack store until you find a good fit.

Good luck!