PDA

View Full Version : Saddle ideas for uphill, wide horse?

vanillabean
Sep. 30, 2009, 08:33 AM
I have a horse that really needs a wide tree- he has round withers and wide shoulders and the medium trees pinch him. So I have been riding him in a wide saddle. However, he is so uphill that he tips my saddle pommel high and I end up riding in the wrong spot on the saddle. My legs fall below the knee rolls, which are rendered useless, and the deepest part of the seat "the sweet spot" on my saddle is useless because the whole thing is tipped back. I have no money, so have been padding the back of the saddle up, but I'm wondering if there is a cheap saddle that would fit a wide, uphill horse well?
Even some of the Wintecs set at a very wide setting might be better than what I am using?
Anyone have any ideas on what saddles work on this type of horse?

kpony
Sep. 30, 2009, 03:33 PM
A good saddle fitter may be able to balance the saddle to fit your horse. I had a similar problem and luckily the panels on my saddle were deep enough to accommodate this kind of adjustment. Around here price range for this service ranges from about $100 to about the price of a used Wintec depending on how much work is needed.

Sudi's Girl
Sep. 30, 2009, 04:17 PM
Have you tried the Duett saddle line? I have their Encore saddle (also their cheapest model) for my very round, rather non-withered - very uphill Arab. I LOVE it - better yet, He loves it! (Although if you need a saddle that helps with your position, you may want to go with a different model that has a deeper seat.)
I also found my used and got a great deal on it. They are a very well manufactured saddle for not a ton of $. (And everyone who sees it thinks I spent a lot on it! hehe)

buck22
Sep. 30, 2009, 04:26 PM
look for saddles that have a deeply cut back pommel, that will help you clear the wither as the saddle nestles down to where it should be when its wide enough. I recently sold a lovely saddle designed for a wide round shoulder and an uphill build, and it was cheap (under $600) and lovely leather, a wide somewhat hoop tree with a narrow twist. A really neat saddle to ride, but you'd be hardpressed to find one as it was imported from spain, it was a marjoman. it was quite unique but sadly didn't fit my horse at all. Though the MW saddle was nearly wide enough for my XW morgan, there was a huge void above his withers/shoulders due to the design, it really needed an uphill build to fill it.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/buck1173/dom-gg-laur-ludo-marjo-santis/IMG_2943.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/buck1173/dom-gg-laur-ludo-marjo-santis/IMG_2937.jpg

also look for ginormous rear panels, a dominus might suit you and they're easily found cheap, under $700, I think their wide is fairly wide.

dalpal
Sep. 30, 2009, 04:48 PM
frank baines...I have a Capriole

StefffiC
Sep. 30, 2009, 05:04 PM
Thornhill makes a great wide saddle, I had a Germania CCD XW with a deep cutback, worked great on my guys!

vanillabean
Sep. 30, 2009, 08:20 PM
Thank you, this gives me a GREAT place to start looking. The saddle already has been adjusted as much as possible. It is not pinching anymore at least.
For now I am shortening my stirrups and trying a different pad until I find something reasonable.

specialops
Sep. 30, 2009, 08:50 PM
Albion Platinum? Which is the SLK Ultima but with the adjustable tree. That way it can be adjusted by an Albion saddle fitter if he changes up front. I believe the panels can be adjusted on that version as well. I always liked my slk ultima.

Invite
Sep. 30, 2009, 10:15 PM
My uphill, big shouldered, not much in the way of withers mare is currently wearing the Anky Euro EXC in extra wide. She's still young, so this is her "baby saddle" and I can fool around with gullets if she ever pops withers. Roo can't wear a Wintec as the points are too long and pinch her. The Anky has shorter points and so far so good.

Vibrant
Sep. 30, 2009, 10:27 PM
I have a Wintec (not one of the new models) on my wide-shouldered NSH. We get an *okay* fit with the medium-wide gullet plate and a Mattes pad. I'm looking at the Duett for our next saddle (as soon as I scrape up the cash). Someone at my barn has one, and it's a lovely saddle - definitely looks more expensive than it is.

HollysHobbies
Oct. 1, 2009, 12:28 PM
Try a Luc Childeric--couldn't believe how well it fit a solid MW horse (pushing wide) who had shark fin withers. Lovely balance to them also. They are pricey, but if you can find a used one, you might get lucky.

J-Lu
Oct. 1, 2009, 09:50 PM
Try a passier relevant. I believe it has a wide channel, is cut back at the pommel, and is good for wide horses.