PDA

View Full Version : Barn Fire - Royal Equestrian Center

retreadeventer
Sep. 29, 2009, 09:57 PM
This is terrible news - on Sun. and 7 horses died. The St. Augustine Pony Club is having an event derby at their clubhouse and supposedly proceeds will benefit one of the club's former members who lost horses. This is so sad.

I am sorry I do not know the principles by name but perhaps some others may. Let us know what is needed or what can be done.

the off course link:
http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=225811&highlight=barn+fire+chesapeake

Meredith Clark
Sep. 29, 2009, 10:33 PM
:no:

I posted the link to the News Journal article on Monday and no one seemed to notice. I'm glad it's getting attention now and it's great that St. Augustine is doing a fundraiser. I was planning on going to their Derby anyway but I'm glad the entry is going to a good cause.

Tap2Tango
Oct. 1, 2009, 02:15 PM
Here is a link to the website about the derby. http://www.staugustineponyclub.com/Derby%20Eliotts.html

Sounds like fun and I'm hoping to attend.

retreadeventer
Oct. 2, 2009, 07:59 PM
I have some more information.
Please consider helping Lauren and Jason - they've lost everything, all their tack and three of their own horses, four boarders.

The equestrian community is a small one but a close knit circle of friends. Early Sunday morning, the 27th of September an electrical fire destroyed the lives of 7 beloved horses in Lauren and Jason Elliott’s barn at the Royal Equestrian Center in Chesapeake City, MD. Lauren was awakened to the blazing fire at approximately 3:00 am and they tried desperately to release the horses putting themselves in danger. Jason & Drew buried these beloved friends yesterday. Despite the insurance on the barn and indoor it is severely inadequate for them to rebuild their center, horses and tack.
Please help them to start over and rebuild in this beautiful community and be able to compete and continue to train competitors. I have set up a benefit account in their name c/o

Lauren or Jason Elliott
WSFS Bank 2400 Peoples Plaza
Newark, DE 19702

or you can stop by any WSFS branch office to make your donation in their name.

retreadeventer
Oct. 2, 2009, 08:01 PM
Also, this email was passed along:

Please read and pass on and email to everyone you know...
Hey Everyone
Last night we an intimate gathering among those who suffered the direct losses of their horses in the fire at Royal Equestrian Center this past Sunday morning. It was the first step toward healing that everyone needed, but we agreed that a memorial service is the next step.
This coming Sunday at 5:30, on the heels of the Octoberfest celebration at Olde Hope, a gathering will take place in one of the front fields at Royal Equestrian. We hope you can all attend and pay tribute to the beautiful souls that were lost. As a community, we are so linked by our passion for horses and I hope we can take this opportunity to stand together, united by our conviction not to let discouragement prevail, but instead to honor the gifts every horse is in our lives.
Feel free to bring scripture, a poem, or anything else you may wish to contribute to the ceremony. We will appreciate every effort to spread the word so everyone who may have interest may attend.
See you then,
Drew & Lauren