PDA

View Full Version : Help?:(

blackhorse6
Sep. 29, 2009, 04:52 PM
Well I posted asking help several months ago.. Everyone was great.. My husband was relocating to Columbus, Ohio... needed names of barns and trainers.. Then.....he switched jobs and we are going to the akron ohio area.. again, everyone on the forum were wonderful with info.. Of course I ended up in neither place. I am in the Canton area and can't find a dressage barn/trainer anywhere.. :confused:I am soooo discouraged.:cry: Looks like a hike to the akron area for me.. Even then the closest place would be Bestsy Rebar Sell's place and it may be out of my price range as well as I am betting she is full.. Anyone out there have any ideas for me? I am seriously desperate at this point.. Divorce?:) ;)

sayyadina
Sep. 29, 2009, 05:44 PM
I'm not in your area, but I have your issue. I left a very nice dressage stable in CT when I moved to Maine, and I have not found any here where I would take lessons. My girls are boarded at a very nice hunter/jumper stable where they take excellent care of the horses, and my girls are very happy there. Its a bit harder for me, since I'd like to take lessons with a classical dressage instructor, which are extremely difficult to find.

What I've been doing is learning on my own from books & dvds. Since I ride more for fun and have no goals or desire to show its worked pretty well for me.

Calhoun
Sep. 29, 2009, 06:44 PM
Feel your pain. I lived in a dressage desert for 8+ years and it was terrible.

slc2
Sep. 29, 2009, 07:04 PM
How much help do you need day to day? Can you get by with the occasional 3-4 day weekend up here?

AnotherRound
Sep. 29, 2009, 09:18 PM
Yes, maybe you could trailer somewhere once a month - Even I think I could probably do very well with a couple days intensive training to take back home and it would probably take me all month to get those one or two lessons under my belt and be ready for more. Food for thought.

blackhorse6
Sep. 30, 2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks everyone..you are most kind.. What do they say, "Misery loves company?".. LOL.. Unfortunately there are not even any hunter/jumper barns in this area. Mostly western. The house we purchased has 14 acres but alot of it is a pond.. Maybe time to build my own barn with arena and haul out for lessons.. Then I would have find a place to board for winter as I doubt I could put an indoor up where I am located. Just so frustrating..

SLC.. know we have talked in the past and you have been so very helpful.. What barn would you recomment knowing where I am located? I am in the Jackson Township area..(southwest of Akron) Someone mentioned barns of Ledge road in the Hinkley area? Wish I could find out more about Betsy's barn and she is taking boarders/cost..

Well guess I should think about going out and seeing my horse and having him go nuts when he sees the roosters/llamas/goats/donkeys and the rest of the "funny farm":eek::eek:

slc2
Sep. 30, 2009, 06:10 PM
If you have 14 acres you are a 'farm' and you have more freedom about where and how you put up buildings, you don't have to get a building permit for agricultural buildings. There can be complications if your property is surrounded by new subdivisions, but in most cases rural areas welcome horses. There are tons of Amish builders in the area who can build a serviceable, practical building for much less than the barn building companies like Morton charge. We do have to build in more roof trusses for snow, but a lot of other things can help keep the cost of an indoor arena down.

Parts of your pond can be filled in or excavating can make room for buildings. I've seen some nice setups where people kept most of an existing pond.

Of course you can also board in the winters and not build an indoor, but most people find they like having an indoor for rainy days and for very hot days during the spring, summer and fall. But it depends on how intense you want to be about it. Some people wouldn't like to miss a day here and there because they don't have an indoor, others wouldn't like that.

There is Timberlane Farm in Hinkley a very well run boarding barn, which is a little west and north of you, and there are a great many barns further northeast, east of Cleveland.

I'm just reading off a listing for the next couple ones -

Knight Stables, Fairlawn, 330-666-6060, 4 M stables, North Royalton 440-237-6880,

Wadsworth
Stoney Ridge Stables Ltd; call: 330-336-6038
2010 Reimer Road, Wadsworth, OH 44281; located in or by Medina county

These I'm a little more familiar with -

Bridlewood Farm. 1178 Granger, Medina. A very good person running/owning this place when I was last there a few years ago. I think this might be about 20 minutes from you.
330-805-1538 (her cell)

Topline Farm. Aurora. Janeen Langowski is a lovely, knowledgeable person who runs a very nice facility and shows very successfully. This is about 30 minutes from where you are, I think, and is not all the way up to the 'east side'. I think you just go straight north from Jackson Twp.

Brecksville Stable, Brecksville, would be within reach for you. I think it would take you about 20 minutes to reach there. Margaret McElheney is a wonderful, wonderful person who has been riding the FEI for a long, long time on horses she trained herself, she is a great teacher, you can work with there.

There are tons of other places. I only listed a few that I thought were really a lot nearer to you, just to get you revved up.

blackhorse6
Sep. 30, 2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks SLC...:) At least something to go for!! All the barns mentioned are about 45 minutes or more from me but I am willing to travel. As far as putting up a barn, I am in a residential area unfortunately but with 14 acres. It is zoned agricultural but I am thinking an indoor may be banned...but an out door and small barn would be fine.. Thanks again for all of your help.. I would some day like to meet you..! I plan on going to the CD clinic in November at Topline farm. Auditing of course since I can't ride much at the "funny farm". Will you be there?

Thanks again to everyone. I don't know what I would do without CotH.. This forum is the best...laughs, knowledge and general disputes but all is in good fun and I learn every time I log on..:)

slc2
Sep. 30, 2009, 06:39 PM
I really don't think anyone can keep you from putting up an indoor on 14 acres, barring any deeds, covenants, etc.

JAD
Sep. 30, 2009, 06:50 PM
SAYYADINA,

Mine if I ask where you are at in Maine?

Equi88
Sep. 30, 2009, 07:57 PM
If you are close to Hinckley, how about the new Hinckley Equestrian Center?
www.icanrideahorse.com

You can get more info on NODA's webside: www.nodarider.org
Under Classifieds you can find Boarding stables in the northeast Ohio area.