PDA

View Full Version : How often do you fall?

grey_pony
Sep. 29, 2009, 04:33 PM
How often do you fall? Or how often does your horse trip/stumble badly enough for you to fall?

Yesterday I was trotting in a grassy area and my horse tripped in a soft spot, and did a somersault. I went off over her head and she rolled on top of my right leg. It was a freak thing - the rare times that she trips she always recovers her balance. I am bruised and sore but ok, and feel like I need to get on her today. I am not usually fearful but this freaked me out. I do all my riding in a dirt area when it's not muddy, or grassy area, or up and down the dirt roads - I don't have an arena to ride in. So all of my footing is uneven. Ever had a horse trip and fall, or fall on you? Should I just brush it off as something that rarely happens? I haven't fallen in... I don't even remember the last time I fell. I think it was 7 years ago when I got on a green horse bareback and she bucked (stupid idea!). I'm unreasonably scared, tell me to go get on my wonderful horse and get some confidence back.

SevenDogs
Sep. 29, 2009, 04:42 PM
It happens. It has happened to me (in an arena!) and, yes, it is kind of unsettling at best. Obviously if there are any other issues or it is happening with any regularity, getting checked out by the vet is in order. But it sounds more like a freak thing like he/she just caught a toe in a rough spot.

Go get back on your horse as long as you are sure she didn't sustain any injuries. Walk if that's all you feel like doing or go for a trail ride. Chances are the horse didn't have a great experience either and isn't likely to let that happen again.

joharavhf
Sep. 29, 2009, 04:47 PM
Haha! My new favorite saying is I USED to fall off....I don't anymore :winkgrin:

So far that has served me well....been back eventing for a year and no falls to date.....10 years ago I fell off at every event it seemed (bad pony!).....

bornfreenowexpensive
Sep. 29, 2009, 04:48 PM
Ever had a horse trip and fall, or fall on you?

YUP...was in an indoor with good footing too. Cantering...he tripped over his own feet and somersaulted. He was green but still....sad sad sad way to fall down (we were both fine...just covered in arena footing). Never happened again with him so I didn't dwell on it.

I go through spurts where I fall off...a lot...and other times I can go for long time without falling. But I usually buy real estate every year at least once (usually on my green horse)....when it is caught on video at a competition (not often)..it is even more special:lol:

Get back on, take it easy for a little bit and try and push it out of your mind.

Janet
Sep. 29, 2009, 04:55 PM
I have fallen at least 5 times this year, but none of them were due to a stumble.

I HAVE fallen in the past due to stumbles, including one (on Music at the canter) which sent me to the hospital, with bruised ribs and a concussion (horse rolled on me).

I have also had Spy stumble (several times) at the walk, and go down on his knees. I didn't actually "fall", but he couldn't get back up until I got off his neck. The vet concluded that he was putting his foot down "toe first" becuase of his arthritis, and soemimes he misjudged and tripped over his own foot.

RAyers
Sep. 29, 2009, 04:57 PM
I fall off as often as necessary.

carolinagirl191
Sep. 29, 2009, 05:05 PM
Grey pony, we've just have over 20 posts on this subject on FOL (foxhunters online) Seems it must be that time of year . . .
There is a lot of good info over there. Bottom line is it can happen at any time, for any reason and you shouldn't think about it when you are on your horse. Fear is natural, but you have to control the deflating voice in your head if it has started talking.

Rayers - good one - only as often as necessary - LOL!!!

eventer_mi
Sep. 29, 2009, 05:16 PM
I'm not going to jinx myself by saying anything about how many times I've involuntarily disconnected with my pony this year, but I can tell you about the time I was in 2nd place at an HT. 2nd to last fence from home, pony slipped sideways at speed and shot me off like a bullet - luckily. If he hadn't shot me off, I would have been squished underneath him. I've got it all on tape, and immediately after, I drilled and tapped him for studs behind.

Highflyer
Sep. 29, 2009, 05:25 PM
Pretty frequently! I ride other people's horses for a living, but most of them are pretty good (I won't ride the scary ones--life is too short.) But--MY event horse is a gifted spook--one minute you are trotting along and the next--WHAM. Luckily I mostly land on my feet with those kind. I guess he and I part company every month or so, mostly on trail rides but also at xc schools and occasionally on course.

OTOH, the mare before him, I had for eight years, and I don't think I fell off her once a year even.

I've had some nasty stumble type falls, too, but I don't think I've ever had more than one with a given horse. If it happens again, I'd want to do a vet exam, but chances are it was a combination of iffy footing and inattention on the horse's part, and will make them more careful in future.

The nice thing about falling off a lot is that you get used to it, I guess. And even with that, there are times when, even though I'm not hurt, I get shaky and cry afterward--usually after I'm done and on the way home. It's just adrenaline wearing off.

scubed
Sep. 29, 2009, 05:32 PM
Ask GotSpots about her fall off horse she was leasing (this was 10 or 12 years ago), when he probably tripped, but she didn't remember, nor how she got the hoofprint shaped bruise. I broke my thumb years ago having a horse fall on me, otherwise have escaped that, but I'm on the Reed plan and certainly don't expect to go through a year without popping off a couple of times, last time at my youngster's 1st xc school when he spooked at the vultures :eek:

I was a bit leery the first few times I got back on in May of 2008, after a 6 week layoff due to multiple broken bones incurred in a getting bucked off while walking on a loose rein before a dressage lesson, another one of those freak things, but riding a few times made it go away.

LKF
Sep. 29, 2009, 05:34 PM
I pull the rip-cord a few times throughout the year.

yellowbritches
Sep. 29, 2009, 06:18 PM
A couple of years ago I was cantering around (in the ring) on the very nice, but very gangly young horse I had at the time. We were warming up, and I had him stretched kinda long and low as I sat pretty light in the tack. He tripped, and because my reins were long and I was sitting a little ahead, I was powerless to help him get his feet back. THANKFULLY, he did not fall all the way as he would have flipped right on me (came very close, his knees were a little scraped up, he had sand all over his face, and the noseband that he was wearing still has scratches from his face plant). He DID, however, piledrive me face first into the ground. I came out of it pretty lucky, as it could have ended badly. My face was banged up really badly (still have a scar and a little sand in my top lip), and I was sore all over for a couple of weeks, but I walked away from it, and didn't even break my nose, like I originally thought I did (I was bleeding like crazy!). The horse was fine...I think we gave him a little bute that night, just in case, but he felt fine.

It took me a couple of days to get back on, but only because I was soooo banged up (moving made my face hurt). Two years on and I still get a little sick to my stomach if they trip with me at the trot or canter, but I'm better now (took months before I even let the older horses stretch in the canter).

My current horse pitched a hissy fit this winter as I tried to open the ring gate and go in. We were in the grass, on a slight incline and it was slick. In his hissy fit pitching, he lost his footing and we fell. It was so a none issue and he was very embarrassed. I jogged him out, just in case, and then kicked his ass for a few minutes in the ring (he'd been bad from the moment I pulled him out that day).

I fall plenty, but I do seem to have waves of it. I can go awhile and be fine, and then, out of the blue, I'm on the ground. In fact, in one of my last falls, I was on on of the kids' saintly horses, when I forgot I was riding something less than athletic and tried to stuff him when he made a mistake in a gymnastic. On a scopey, athletic horse this would have not been an issue. On poor Saint Spike I asked the impossible, he stopped and I went over his shoulder. Oops. Falling doesn't typically bother me. I don't like to fall, especially in my first example, but it happens.

forestergirl99
Sep. 29, 2009, 07:07 PM
I've fallen off 3 times in the past 5 months with my newest horse. One time he bucked me off. Back pain issues from previous rider. He has killer bucks that are hard to sit as well. 2nd time he refused a jump, and the saddle I was riding in was an awful fit for me, so I wasn't secure at all. 3rd time he spooked and bolted then my saddle slipped, so I decided to bail. :lol: 3 in 5 months is a lot for me though. I used to not fall off like at all, but he's so powerful that he is harder to stay with.

My old horse fell with me twice. One time it was in the ring, and she just went down on her knees. The 2nd time she spooked and lost her balance and fell sideways onto my leg. It is fairly normal to be rattled by those types of falls though. It didn't rattle me at all, but then again it takes a lot to rattle me. haha.

deltawave
Sep. 29, 2009, 08:18 PM
I average about once a year.

Flipper
Sep. 29, 2009, 08:37 PM
Once this year (so far), twice 6 yrs. ago. All due to big spooks. It hurts more now than it used to. I still keep coming back for more....

shawneeAcres
Sep. 29, 2009, 08:45 PM
As LITTLE as possible! :winkgrin: Actually my last fall was a "pair" of falls on two consecutive days on two different horses! Both bucked me off, first did a 180 spin while I was mounting followed by soem SERIOUS buckking, halfway across the arena I was TOAST! Second was following day when a horse spooked, dropped him shoulder totally unexpectedly and let out a BIG ONE, of course I think I was suffering from a concussion from prior day, shouldn't have been riding and that contributed to the fall. Knock on wood that was first time in a few years (and the one then was also being bucked off a BAD backer) and hopefully for quite some time! I can handle most horses but SERIOUS bucking I just don't stick with! As far as stunbling I came VERY close to coming offf about four years ago when a mare stumbled and went to her knees, I wound up infront of the saddle riding her neck, she managed to get up and swing around, and I was PRAYING I could stay on long enough to creep back into the saddle, which I did. Nothing worst than suddenly having NO HORSE under you!:eek::no::sadsmile:

LittleMissCan'tBeWrong
Sep. 29, 2009, 08:49 PM
knock on wood I haven't fallen in quite a while (though I haven't been riding as much lately) but when I do fall it seems to come in waves like 3 in a month...one day when I was working my old horse in the arena he somehow lost his footing in the canter completely fell down and landed on my leg he, however, did not move. Once I wiggled out I was hurting pretty badly but no obvious damage (though I did have to get knee surgery a year later got figure) had the vet come check out the horse just to be on the safe side since it took some encouragement to get him up but he was fine too. I got back on later that week but it took a while to fully bounce back and to this day I always get nervous when my mare trips.

scribbles
Sep. 29, 2009, 08:57 PM
knock on wood I haven't fallen in quite a while (though I haven't been riding as much lately) but when I do fall it seems to come in waves like 3 in a month...one day when I was working my old horse in the arena he somehow lost his footing in the canter completely fell down and landed on my leg he, however, did not move. Once I wiggled out I was hurting pretty badly but no obvious damage (though I did have to get knee surgery a year later got figure) had the vet come check out the horse just to be on the safe side since it took some encouragement to get him up but he was fine too. I got back on later that week but it took a while to fully bounce back and to this day I always get nervous when my mare trips.

a woman i know had a horse fall on cross country with her, and he lay there for a while too, apparently horses can get the wind knocked out of them the same way people do! and thats what everyone thought happened in her situation. scary all around, but something we have to put behind us...

2horseowner
Sep. 29, 2009, 09:07 PM
Fell last week. Micromanaging to a small vertical. I have been having brake issues, and had a crescent noseband on quite tight. The effect is good, but if you crotch ride w/ your hands, he gets quite mad, and that's what I did coming to the jump. All my good flat work skills went out the door too. Horse said I can't do this w/ you cranking my head down-jeesh lady. Next thing I know, I'm using the jump as mid point stopping point before the ground. I now have a nice bone bruise on my shin from the rail. No worse for wear, except it was a blow to my confidence. I am having to realize this horse is more than capable of jumping if I will leave him alone and quit over analyzing. I am 46, and also know that I do have to work for a living, so I'm trying not to do to much foolishness! It had been a while since I had fallen, and it didn't help that this was also a 17.3 horse too! I am going back to basics until I feel confident about doing bigger fences.

springdaisy
Sep. 29, 2009, 09:20 PM
Four times. In four years. :no: Two times were in a creek, which was a little better...however, I got really scraped up by rocks and such. Another was bareback, best by far. I didn't get hurt, just got the wind knocked out of me. Rounded a corner that was suddenly downhill...horsie slipped. We were both just kinda dazed, but fine. Fourth time scared me really badly. I was walking into an arena that had railroad ties around it to keep the sand in. Horse tripped, all of a sudden the ground was flying up. I was really lucky, I almost got pinned underneath her. I landed with my neck bent, right on it though. I was sore for a loooong time, and always have hand walked into said arena. That freaked me out because it was so sudden, and I was freaked out about my neck. I just lay there for about a minute, trying to figure everything out. My friend turned around and flipped. The doctor thinks I had a mild concussion.

I don't think it's usual to have that many falls though.

badawg
Sep. 29, 2009, 10:09 PM
I don't want to talk about how many times I've fallen in the last year, actually. But, I'm riding a green horse, and the majority of the falls have been silly. Plus, I'm recovering from a head injury (from said horse!!!) that has left me with chronic migraines requiring daily meds that have affected my balance. Now that I'm adjusted to it, things have gotten better, but I'm not going to talk too much about it, because, well you know...knocking on wood and all that!! But, on average I'd say I usually fall a couple of times a year, mostly minor non-events. Only once had a horse fall *on* me though, and that was a rearer...

FLeckenAwesome
Sep. 29, 2009, 10:48 PM
Well... Today actually!!!

Went trail riding with the Fleckster...by ourselves, which is usually fine. Had my cell phone on me. And... all was well, he was being brave and trit-trotting along. We were going uphill so I was slightly ahead and I think I was even ducking slighty cause of a branch, when... two deer bolted. Fleck did the stop and spin move, and I just went over his shoulder. It was kinda funny cause it was almost slow motion and I was thining..."son of a... if I break my NEW reins again...." and then I landed on my feet, with the reins in my hand and the reins still intact!!! yay!! Fleck was snorty but not going anywhere. So... it ended quite well considering we were out on the trail by ourselves and you know..the killer deer!

But... I've had Fleck trip and fall a few times and THAT is scary!! Trotting down a slight hill in the pasture and Fleck trips, but goes down and sends me over his shoulder. I managed to just barely get knicked in the helmet and rolled out of the way. Slighty terrified when we trotted down hill in the area for a long time...actually still slightly nervous. And Fleck sorta does it a lot. Now granted.. it's a hilly pasture with anthills...long grass... But it is scary. We later treated him for a very mild EPM, but he still trips some. So.. yeah, that is a little scary.

But I agree... Get back on and just go for a walk. For awhile you're heart will catch when they stumble, but... then you just sit a little taller and sink your heels down a little lower and....it's not so bad!

Good luck!! Hopefully you both are really okay and won't be too sore!

JWB
Sep. 30, 2009, 07:08 AM
Sometimes there are long droughts between falls... Sometimes several at a time. It happens, it's kind of scary but it's not enough to keep me off because I just keep coming back for more.

As for the horse tripping, I was on a steady-eddy, been there, done that sort several years back. We were doing flat work - yes, it was in a pasture, not a ring but it was my "flatwork area" of the pasture because of the good footing. We were cantering along and alll the sudden we were not. His feet got tangled up and he landed on his chest with the feet under him... I "stayed on" - just picture a horse going from cantering to lying down in a SPLIT second. I dismounted, he looked at me like "What the heck just happened" got up and shook off. Neither of us were hurt but that shook me up more than a fall because it was just so bizarre!

riderboy
Sep. 30, 2009, 08:08 AM
Yep, Had a stop this spring (not my guy) right in front of the fence. So quick I was on my back looking up at him and he was looking down at me. ( I still had the reins.) I really hate to fall , and I really, really hate to get bucked off. I fall more than I want to.

retreadeventer
Sep. 30, 2009, 08:52 AM
Actually I get afraid when I have gone a while without a fall. I am afraid it will hurt too much if I don't get one regularly so I can check to see how much it hurts and if I should make plans to stop riding yet.
Does that make sense?

Hollywood
Sep. 30, 2009, 08:58 AM
Or how often does your horse trip/stumble badly enough for you to fall?

I had one of my horses stumble and fall with me last Fall at the canter on good arena footing - first time ever had a horse actually go all the way down. Luckily I rolled off to the side and he did not roll on top of me. We were both startled by it, and I was going to get right back on, but he banged up his knee bad enough that blood was running down his leg.

I didn't think much of it, UNTIL my next ride. And this happened a couple weeks before a show! I gave him a couple days off b/c his knee was all scabby and a little swollen, but he was sound. Anyway, next ride I was fine getting on and walk/trot, but then realized I was nervous to canter. It took a couple lessons and rides to over it, but by the show I was feeling more confident and we had a great go.

I had my first real fall in a few years off my other horse during a jump lesson a couple of weeks ago. Got back on and had a brilliant jump lesson, and honestly never thought about it again. I had more nervous tension about the stumble and fall than this recent one.

Hilary
Sep. 30, 2009, 09:03 AM
I think there are falls and there's getting dumped. Star unloaded me about once a week when she was 4, every other week when she was 5 twice a month when she was 6 - etc. I lost count around 30. She's 9 now.

She would spook frequently and it involved a spin with dropped shoulder, buck buck, bolt for 30 feet, then spin back around to see what spooked her. And she is so quick we could go from nicely forward to the bolt part of her repetoire in less than 2 seconds. As she matured she dropped the second buck, then the bolt, then the first buck so it got easier to ride. Now she has a decent spook in place, and is generally less likely to take issue with "whatever" but she can still reverse and drop her front end really fast so if I'm at all forward, off I go.

Prior to her I'd come off 3 times in 10 years.

Gry2Yng
Sep. 30, 2009, 09:10 AM
Generally, I fall about once a year off each horse. I am probably due. have not fallen off my youngster yet.

As far as the tripping. I am going thru that right now. BIG stumble on a long rein in a field at the walk a few weeks ago. Saturday at BIG stumble at the canter on arena footing. Scared the crap out of me. Vet coming out on Friday. Hoping it is just some arthritis in the coffins, he is overdue for injections. And as other posters have mentioned, strangely enough, this has me more frightened than any fall I have ever taken.

But as GotSpot likes to say "There are two kinds of event riders, those who have fallen off in the water jump and those who will fall off in the water jump."

Jazzy Lady
Sep. 30, 2009, 10:10 AM
I hadn't fallen off in years at a show until this year. I fell off twice at Intermediate... sj. Poo. One due to REALLY bad riding and stupidity and one just due to poor riding. lol.

One was a stop and one was a SPECTACULAR crash... at the last fence of the most beautiful round of life. Yup...

I hit the dirt routinely to remind me to not ride like a loser. All are my fault.

The only time I've fallen because of a stumble was when my horse also went a** over tea kettle...

HER
Sep. 30, 2009, 10:10 AM
I'd say at least once a year, if not more. My last was this spring, in the stadium round of my first prelim. Ground was muddy and sucking at his feet and I pulled way too much down to the base of an oxer. If the ground was better he may have saved us, but he ended up jumping through the fence sideways and I landed on my feet next to his shoulder. Second to last fence on course too... Somewhat demoralizing but not painful luckily. Totally my fault. I was a little green going into my next stadium round but it was ok.

bip
Sep. 30, 2009, 10:44 AM
I will say this: Last year I fell off A LOT. Like 5-6 times between May and October. All in competition, never at clinics or at home. It freaked me out so this year I dialed my activities way back. On balance, I had about a million times more fun last year even though I was falling off. Trying not to fall off made me so cautious that I wasn't building up those hours in the saddle galloping over terrain. It took away my motivation to stay fit to ride (I sort of felt like "what's the point? I was fit last year and fell off, why work hard this year and fall off more? Not rational, I know). I am a much worse rider this year even though I'm not falling off.

I suppose that's not really relevant to the question in the OP, but the subject line gave me that realization. Kind of depressing, actually ...

GotSpots
Sep. 30, 2009, 10:56 AM
But as GotSpot likes to say "There are two kinds of event riders, those who have fallen off in the water jump and those who will fall off in the water jump."
Sigh. Thanks for that. Because, you know, I needed a reminder that I'm likely about due...

The key question, of course, is whether there's a friend or just a kind soul sitting near the water jump who will hand you a beer as you do your walk o' shame back to the trailers. Note - if someone could volunteer said person 'long about 11:10 or so on Saturday morning at Morven, that would be a nice precaution, just in case.

bornfreenowexpensive
Sep. 30, 2009, 11:06 AM

only time I have EVER landed on my feet...my horse spooked, spun and bucked me off in a water jump (just schooling not in a competition). I did a full flip off him (he could really buck) and landed on my feet in the water.....he left the scene and it took me 1.5 hours to find him and catch and bring him back to the water jump (yeah I was a bit peeved with him by that time). But was so glad that I picked that time to land on my feet......nice to know I can do that if properly motivated to stick the landing;)

Now I haven't managed to fall off in a water jump in a competition...yet....but land in the ditch of a coffin...yep (and have it on video...we were only 4 jumps from home too).

Sudi's Girl
Sep. 30, 2009, 01:03 PM
Sad to say I think I fall off more than my fair share! There's a girl at my barn who does too...and we rather rotate back and forth. It's now an ongoing joke with us. (And unfortunately, it's MY turn to fall!).

The thing we both have in common is that we both ride small horses & ponies. And they're also GREEN.

My last fall I was riding my green Arab VERY confidantly to an BIG X under a shady oak tree (part of the problem I believe - going into the shade). We'd jumped it many times before though, so I wasn't too worried. He had a NICE big confidant canter going up to it, was extremely focused on the jump - and I was even sitting back (something I've learned comes in VERY handy with green jumpers). At the VERY LAST SECOND he decides to slam on brakes. --And there is just NOT much horse in front of you when you're jumping an Arab. Before I knew what had happend I was on my feet with my arms wrapped around his neck. And then I fell on my butt when he spooked at my falling off (silly pony).

My friend's last fall happened on a trail ride when we ran into some bees. :( Her pony got stung a couple times and bucked her off.

So it happens - everyone falls...freak stuff, green stuff, dirty pony stuff. Hop back on and take it slow! :) It gets better.

Coppers mom
Sep. 30, 2009, 01:39 PM
I fell off twice this summer after a long dry spell.

The first time was when I took my poor, sweet, dear trusting Heidi to the Ark. Everyone else was trotting through the water just fine, so I thought I'd give it a go. It was only her second cross country schooling, so I walked through first, and then we bravely trotted toward the water. Heidi leapt halfway through the second water complex, and because she's just a wee thing and it had just rained, the water completely took her legs out from under her (it was quite deep for her, but of course, everyone else on normal sized horses looked ok, so I didn't think anything of it). All I saw was her little head go under the water, and I slid back behind the saddle. She's fantastic though, and she popped back up and cantered out with me on her butt. I just barely made it to the edge before falling in the water with all the cell phones and checks that everyone passed to me because I had pockets and I "don't fall". I felt so bad, but it was hilarious at the same time. Apparently if you type in "Water Buffalo Racing" on youtube, that's about how it looked. :lol:

The second time this summer was when I was working at a training track nearby. I'm about the size of a 12 year old, so I got to ride all the baby babies. I was taking little Kiwi out for her third or fourth time, and she was chugging along nicely until she tripped. She floundered around for a couple seconds, and then just went down. Luckily, she wasn't that strong, and the floundering slowed her down, so we weren't going very fast. That one was pretty scary, but a couple (embarrassing) gallops on the lead ponies fixed it.

clivers
Sep. 30, 2009, 01:40 PM
I fall a couple of times a year, on average. In the last 12 months I've fallen twice and almost fallen many more times!

Most recent falls: sudden stop in front of a big (for me - about 4'6"ish) oxer on Isaac. I hadn't balanced him out of the turn as it was the last jump of the day and i kindof was riding like we were done. I took out the fence with my shins and STILL have a goose-egg (now flatter) on my left shin!

This summer I was hacking beeg at a WALK and he stumbled in slow-mo and just kept getting lower and lower until until he was lying on the ground on his belly. I stepped off him him, let him get up from his nap, and we continued on our way. It was the weirdest fall i've ever had, for sure!

Last weekend I was riding the above mentioned scoundrel in a clinic/lesson. We had a nice approach to a white gate and a perfect distance and guess who slams on the brakes for the dirtiest stop i've ridden in a long time. I slid down the neck and ended up holding on to his ears. Fortunately, he stayed put and I was able to push myself back in the tack. He's going to boot camp at my coach's after Fair Hill.

cnvh
Sep. 30, 2009, 02:13 PM
Four times in the past year since acquiring my greenie OTTB last September.

Fall 1: Was using a bareback pad, came back down the mountain from a leisurely trail ride, Horsie saw a bunch of riders cantering in the outdoor arena, pulled his first-ever snort-n'-scoot and was out from under me before I even knew what happened. That was a particularly nice fall, not a single scrape or bruise, landed nicely on grass. Woot woot!

Fall 2: Was jumping Horsie over a low in-and-out in the indoor ring when he was still iffy over combinations. He cleared fence 1, tried to run out on fence 2 but didn't make it in time, so rather than stop, he jumped the standard instead. I was completely not expecting that and got jumped right out of the tack, landed squarely on my tailbone. No major damage, but I was sitting pretty sore for a couple of weeks.

Fall 3: XC schooling at Frying Pan, tried trotting the little drop into water, Horsie decided to try out his best Superman impersonation and vaulted straight off the ledge instead of hopping down into it. I managed to hang on until we were BARELY out of the water before falling, banged up my hip pretty badly and also cracked my helmet, plus some nice road rash on my hands and face. Again, no lasting injuries but was pretty sore for a week or so.

Fall 4: Schooling in the indoor, jumping a little gate set up across the short side of the ring, Horsie took a big spot and I inadvertently goosed him in midair, he landed and crow-hopped straight for the wall. I half-fell/half-bailed right at the wall, landed basically on my feet but hit the wall hand-first, pretty hard. Lucked out again, no major damage.

I'd say that's probably a good average year for me, when I'm riding consistently... :(

Edited to add, have not had a fall from which I couldn't immediately get back on since I was... maybe 14 years old? Fortunately even the handful that required hospital trips weren't so bad that I wasn't able to get back on for at least a few minutes first, before heading to the ER. :)

ThirdCharm
Sep. 30, 2009, 02:39 PM
I have had a horse fall over sideways on me in dressage (after a hurricane soaked the grass ring), and once trotting across a grass paddock/warmup area, tripped and fell on his face, had grass stuffed in his ears and under the crown of his bridle, I went right over his head and had lovely grass skid marks! Those incidents were both about twelve years ago. Have not had a fall like that since then--gotten dumped a couple times by bucking or dirty stops, but nothing where misbehavior was not involved!

Jennifer

RugBug
Sep. 30, 2009, 02:52 PM
I fall off as often as necessary.

I fall off more often than I'd like. :winkgrin:

saje
Sep. 30, 2009, 03:03 PM
Y'know, I didn't really even want to read this thread much less post in it for fear of jinxing myself. I've never come off my guy, he's 8, and I bred, raised, broke and trained him. I've been telling myself my turn is coming, it's been a long time since I've hit the dirt.

Sigh.

Well, the dry spell ended today. I raised the single jump I was schooling, and he was paying more attention to the horses lounging near the fence. He started to jump, saw the height difference and tried to quit mid-jump. I slid off over his neck and landed on my butt. No harm done to either of us, and the look on his face was *priceless*! He looked horrified at what he'd done :lol:

I hopped back on and MY didn't I get some lovely bascule and tight knees, and those ears and eyes were riveted on the jump :D Bless him he wasn't in the least hesitant to try again, but he was going to make damned sure it didn't reach up and bite him again!

So now I don't have to worry that the dry spell will end at one of the next two events I've entered, we're both none the worse for wear, and apparently I still have a little bounce left in me :cool:

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Sep. 30, 2009, 03:29 PM
I get chucked off twice a month :lol: 2 words: Green horses

Gry2Yng
Sep. 30, 2009, 03:50 PM
I took my swim at Bromont before the one fall rule. Got back on and finished without incident. I have also been bucked off in the water while schooling. Poor pony (GS - remember Biscuit) must have had a fish or a leaf tickle his foot while we were standing in the water relaxing/gabbing. Bucked me off, ran three miles around the property, put his head down for grass and broke a nice bridle at the crown piece. Second bridle that little bugger ruined. First was a trip where we went @$$ over when he was about 2 weeks off the track.

WakeRider
Sep. 30, 2009, 06:41 PM
Have you tried a "SH@T strap" as we call them?

A piece of leather around the neck to hold on to.... or I use a martingale with a neck strap... it comes in handy especially when horses are at their finer moments. It also gives some of my adults and younger/timid students a confidence boost that there is something to hold onto just in case!

KayBee
Sep. 30, 2009, 08:43 PM
it seems to come in waves like 3 in a month...

This. I average <3 falls a year and they do seem to come in waves.

GotSpots
Sep. 30, 2009, 09:59 PM
I took my swim at Bromont before the one fall rule. Got back on and finished without incident. Um, er, I think you might have omitted a couple intermediate steps there, including, (1) chase horse up mountain; (2) chase horse down mountain; (3) try to mount with horse being an a--hat; (4) try to take out jump judge; (5) contemplate using jump judge for mounting block, and (6) persuade horse he might as well shape up now as it's a long way back to Illinois so how about standing freakin' still for a second so he could be mounted. I still think that video is hysterical.

Which is, sadly, one of the worst parts of falling off - having to chase the dumb beast back to the trailers, stabling, somewhere else on course. Bonus points if the profanity is kept within a PG rating, or at least is out of earshot of the TD and any erstwhile spectators who've you not yet trampled.