PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff -cross-training, esp. chasers

jumpsnake
Sep. 29, 2009, 04:23 PM
So, the JW thread got me thinking about one of JW's PH articles a bit back, when he recommended that eventers get some steeplechasing lessons. I would love love love to do this, but don't know how to go about it- who trains those jockeys? I live in KY so maybe there is a place I can go?

Has anyone done some 'cross-training' of this sort? Not just a h/j or dressage trainer but something entirely different? What did you get out of it? Was it what you wanted to get out of it?

I used to ride western and I think that made me much more relaxed on a horse-- this is both good and bad. Good because spooks and nervous or strong horses don't bug me, but bad because I slouch and sometimes don't try to fix silly behavior because I find it funny. I think riding western also helped get my leg *around* the horse.

Anyone try something like this and think everyone should do it?

vbunny
Sep. 29, 2009, 08:34 PM
PM'd you

lstevenson
Sep. 29, 2009, 11:02 PM
Even if you can't find any places to try out a steeplechase horse, you should have plenty of opportunities to excercise race horses if you live anywhere near Lexington. It may not be as educational as learning to ride at race speed over jumps, but you will learn how to control a fit strong horse at speeds much faster than you will probably ever go in eventing. :D