PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU wear out on trail?

jazzrider
Sep. 29, 2009, 12:17 PM
Yes, a fashion discussion. No, don't roll your eyes. Now that I've officially stopped trying to be anything other than a trail/pleasure rider (I used to do dressage), I've been slowly changing my collection of riding cloths (and when I say collection, I mean the cloths I set aside as barn/riding cloths either through purchase or retirement from streetwear, so don't roll your eyes again :winkgrin:).

Right now I ride in comfy breeches (discovered Smooth Stride this year and LOVE them) or nice broken in jeans, with half chaps and paddock boots. But it's the tops I struggle with. I HATE to sit on my top, so long shirts, sweatshirts, etc. are out and since I'm short wasted, almost everything is long on me. I went through my closet last night and realized I need to do some shopping, but I don't want to pay some ridiculous price for "riding wear" that's the right length. So I'm asking my COTH friends -- what do you wear riding? Particularly in the fall and spring, when it's not hot, but not cold enough for a nice heavy, short jacket?

ChocoMare
Sep. 29, 2009, 12:24 PM
Ahhh, that's why trail riding is so great. :) Who cares what you wear! :lol: :lol: :lol: I loff it. ;)

I always ride in tights (Ariat Venturas, Saddlebums & Irideons) with 1/2 chaps, a T-shirt or Polo and, if a warmer outter layer is needed, a fleece pullover with zip neck.

For winter, I'll do a layer of SmartSlims under my tights and Cuddleduds and a turtleneck long-sleeve on top, then my Mountain Horse jacket. I love that thing! Tons of pockets and uber comfy. Got it on sale last year from Horseloverz.com

My helmet, of course, always....during winter, I'll sock a Polar Fleece cover over it that wraps around my neck. Like these: https://www.helmetcovers.com/index.php?cPath=5&osCsid=7e277ca56a5990fa016745f79d406399

Jess!
Sep. 29, 2009, 12:28 PM
Depends on what I'm doing, but normally i wear my Kerrits low rise rights with either my hubby's green skivvy shirt [he's a marine], or a tank top.

Or, I wear my jeans with half chaps, green shirt or a tank top.

In the winter I throw a hoodie on over the whole ensemble, and if it's really cold I'll wear riding tights under my jeans.

Auventera Two
Sep. 29, 2009, 01:16 PM
For a bareback loop around the farm, just jeans and whatever t-shirt, sweatshirt, etc.

For a "real" ride, I use Under Armour athletic pants, and knit athletic tops like Reebok, Under Armour or Nike.

I've given up totally on "riding clothing." I have one pair of Irideon saddleseat, bootcut breeches that I like, but they don't wick sweat and keep my cool and dry like the athletic pants do.

We do lots and lots of miles and typical riding clothing just doesn't cut it for me.

For shoes I wear Ariat Terrains, Fatbaby boots, or just my Crocs.

ChocoMare
Sep. 29, 2009, 01:21 PM
Ditto on the Ariat Terrains for shoes. LOFF DEM!!! :D

rmh_rider
Sep. 29, 2009, 01:37 PM
Tropical Rider Enduracools, or their polar fleeced lined tights. Been wearing Tropical Rider's since '02. The polar fleece line Tropical Riders tights earned their keep when I competed on an endurance ride and it was 20 with very strong winds. Wow, it was cold, warm tights though.

In the summer a Nike heat/moisture wicking shirt, keeps you cool and dry.

In the winter or cooler months tee shirts, or turtle neck, and sweat shirt and bright colors to be noticed first, and not mistaken for a deer. I like "do not shoot me red", or "do not shoot me pink". I also have a bike riding hi-viz yellow long sleeved shirt I wear also. I call it "do not shoot me hi-viz yellow". :-)

Ariat half chaps.

Either running shoes, or Ariat Terrains.

Tippeary helmet.

SSG all weather gloves, and these current ones are lime with black palms. ("Do not shoot me lime" (of course)).

back to lurking.

jnel
Sep. 29, 2009, 02:00 PM
I'm glad someone else mentioned the "don't shoot me" clothes. Its that time of year. I have a bright orange light weight vest for now and when it gets colder a bright red down vest. I'll be wearing one or the other vest every day until Spring. Love the pockets on both. I wish someone would make a nice looking vest in the hi vis colors.:yes:

sublimequine
Sep. 29, 2009, 02:21 PM
Jeans, Ariat All Terrain Half chaps, Ariat boots (they're not All Terrains, they're actually from their 'casual collection' or whatever).

Troxel Sierra helmet, most important part of my outfit. Every ride, every time.

As for tops, just whatever I happen to be wearing that day. T-shirt, hoodie, jacket, whatever.

Occasionally I'll ride in the arena with no half chaps, but I really can't stand to ride without them. :dead:

tkhawk
Sep. 29, 2009, 03:17 PM
Jeans, regular pants ,teashirts-just any combination actually. I usually wear my clothes that I use for regular use and am thinking of throwing away. I use them for about 6 months with the horses-by then there are holes or stains or slobber or shampoo from bathing-so throw them out!:lol:

Shoes I use a pair of old cowboy boots that I bought a while ago. Nice way to recycle the clothes though!

jazzrider
Sep. 29, 2009, 03:26 PM
In the winter or cooler months tee shirts, or turtle neck, and sweat shirt and bright colors to be noticed first, and not mistaken for a deer. I like "do not shoot me red", or "do not shoot me pink". I also have a bike riding hi-viz yellow long sleeved shirt I wear also. I call it "do not shoot me hi-viz yellow". :-)

:lol::lol::lol: I have a bright orange helmet cover (my SO calls me the great pumpkin or pumpkin head when I wear it :rolleyes:) for hunting season. We also invested in neon safety vests last year after getting too close for comfort to a group of hunters. Before that I wore a hideous old yellow windbreaker. But yes, great thing to point out this time of year.

matryoshka
Sep. 29, 2009, 03:34 PM
I've gotten some nice, cool, quick-to-dry tops from WalMart in the section where they sell exercise clothes. Found this to be an inexpensive way to supplement my riding gear. Also ride in men's undershirts over a sports bra when the weather is warm. Those things are great in the summer, and cheap.

For colder weather, I layer like blazes, but try to arrange it so I can peal off layers as I overheat. For work and riding, I like an undershirt, sometimes a T, and a mock turtleneck for riding in the cold. I never wear these for trimming, since I get too hot too fast and don't want to strip down to the undershirt. My winder skin ain't pretty (the glare off my shade of white is too much for some horses).

Over the mock turtleneck I put a sweatshirt or fleece, sometimes both. Last year I bought a Goretex jacket to put under a cheap winter coat. The thing is wind proof, which helps keep the heat in. I would love to convince them to put the windproof layer on the outside so there is more insulation next to the skin, but fashion rules even in outerwear, and nobody wants it on the outside.

I don't worry too much about keeping my legs warm, but in winter I switch from half chaps to full chaps and let my butt get cold. Keeps me awake. ;)

jeano
Sep. 29, 2009, 03:42 PM
tights or pullon breeches mostly, sometimes just any old leggings or exercise pants. Day-glo orange hi-way worker type vest for hunting season. Long sleeved Tshirts mostly, although this summer I did break down and wear short sleeved T's a lot. My husband goes to lots of military bases for his work so I have geat T shirts, several with a cavalry theme. In GA winter tends to be a lot like October in the midwest--in other words, perfect riding weather, often a hoodie is all the jacket needed, but for real cold and blowy days I have a nice Ariat softshell jacket. I generally pack the cell phone in a little camera case kinda thing that I wear around my neck and under one arm where it stays out of the way. I hate getting buttons snagged on the saddle horn so no button shirts when I ride the Western saddle. Blundstones or ariat shoes on my feet. I have half chaps but dont bother with them all the time.

JollyBadger
Sep. 29, 2009, 03:45 PM
In warm weather, just jeans and a t-shirt works fine. I have a couple of pairs of Ariat paddock boots, and also my Blundstone #500 boots. The Blundstones are actually my favorite for all-around, but they're a little too wide in the heel for my spurs to fit comfortably and they don't offer much ankle support. Otherwise, they're super-comfortable.

While I was camping at East Fork Stables in Jamestown, TN last week, I bought one of the lightweight, breathable Aussie full-length raincoats for warmer riding weather. It has leg straps like a regular Aussie coat, plenty of room in the back, plus a hood with visor that can be rolled down and secured with a snap if you don't want to use it. Best thing about it is that it can be packed into its own attached pocket for travel, small enough to stuff into a saddle bag or tie to the back of the saddle in case we get caught in a cloudburst while we're out. Oh, and it comes in different colors - mine is yellow, which is great for added visibility if I am riding on or near a road.

In cooler weather I also wear my smooth leather schooling chaps - they're good for added warmth, for keeping my legs dry from splashing mud or rain, and for protecting my jeans from some of the thorn bushes we sometimes ride through. I also have a full-length Australian oilskin coat (which really needs to be re-oiled, now that I think about it) that includes a synthetic wool vest that can be buttoned to the inside for added warmth. Long-sleeved t-shirts or button-down shirts, sometimes a fleece pullover or light jacket for a top; just jeans or old khakis for pants.

For cold weather, I do lots of thin layers with a heavier coat on top. Long underwear is my friend. :D A couple of years ago I bought a helmet cover that has a fleece neck wrap attached - love it! I also use a full face/head cover and fleece headband. When it comes to boots - whatever is warm and well-insulated, or roomy enough for me to wear one pair of thin socks and one pair of heavier/hiking socks. I'm saving up for a pair of Schees riding boots. A good friend and riding buddy has a pair and says his feet NEVER get cold, even after hours on trail. He and I are among the few from my barn who venture out on trail when the temperatures dip below freezing.

paintlady
Sep. 29, 2009, 04:01 PM
I don't have different wardrobes for ring work and trail rides. I wear a T-shirt, breeches, paddock boots and 1/2 chaps. Personally, I like baggy T-shirts since I find breeches to be very unflattering even though they are comfortable for riding. If it's chilly, I put on a fleece top or jacket.

SmartAlex
Sep. 29, 2009, 04:26 PM
I love shopping for riding clothes (go ahead roll your eyes). For the bottoms, I do breeches or jeans with paddock boots and half chaps depending on if I have stuff to do around the barn afterwards and don't want to ruin my breeches.
For tops, I usually shop at Lands End or Eddie Bauer. I generally buy talls, and I still don't sit on the shirt tails. My favorite cool weather gear is a ribbed turtle neck with a fitted riding vest bought on sale. I never thought about buying blaze orange, but I'm hacking out more these days, so now I'm off to shop for something bright... thanks jnel!

pnalley
Sep. 29, 2009, 04:49 PM
In the heat of summer, shorts, tanktop, helmet & tennis shoes (not safe I know)

Warm weater jeans, tanktop or t-shirt, boots, helmet

Hunting season: jeans, t-shirt, sweatshirt, day glo orange vest & helmet

I can't stand sleeves when it is hot out. If you wear shorts you will dry quickly if you ride to the swimming hole (we swim the horses there too)

gypsymare
Sep. 29, 2009, 05:38 PM
Old regular clothes. In the summer jeans and a ribbed tank top with half chaps and paddock boots. I'm another one who can't stand sleeves when it's hot out!

Fall is the same but with t-shirt and optional sweatshirt.

In the winter lots of LAYERS. I usually switch to my full chaps, too. Silk thermals, turtleneck, scarf, sweatshirt or sweater, down or Carhart vest and LL Bean Barn Coat with thinsulate liner. Sometimes by the time I'm tacked up and ready to ride I'm down to just a turtleneck and vest. Then i don't overheat and I have all those nice warm clothes to pile back on once I stop moving around and start getting cold again!

saddleup
Sep. 29, 2009, 05:50 PM
Wrangler jeans, polo shirt, boots, spurs, always gloves and chinks. It it's cool, a sweatshirt. If it's cold, several layers that can be subtracted as needed. Sometimes I even match, but it's usually unintentional!

Since elk hunting season starts this weekend, I wear either a bright orange sweatshirt or an orange vest, and my horse wears an orange halter under his bridle and an orange tail bag, as well as a bright orange saddle bag.

Movin Artfully
Sep. 29, 2009, 06:30 PM
While my sister is a NYC fashionista...I am...well...not.

I am 5'9" and have a ridiculously long torso and small waist- which means I am always trying to cover up my mid section when riding.

Greatest two articles of riding clothing for me- under armour in various weights and Eddie Bauer down vests.

The under armour is thin enough to tuck in and not look ridiculous...and you can easily wear a polo over to dress up. I've found men's to have longer arm/torso length for me. Women's would probably fit the average torso better.

The Eddie Bauer vests are PERFECT for a long torso. Small, fitted adjustable waist. I bought 3. I wish I'd bought more...

Deerskin gloves for barn work. Roekl for riding. They are worth it. Really.

GallopingGrape
Sep. 29, 2009, 07:45 PM
If you are a western rider and ride with a saddle with a horn... PLEASE please make sure you ride in clothing that... if get caught on that horn, will rip, pop open, or zip UP so you can unleash yourself. I personally have had a horse buck and my tight waisted sweatshirt got hooked on the horn and became the very thing that tied me to my horse as he continued to buck and rammed that horn into my tummy. Aweful experience.

Otherwise, I wear riding breaches that are of a jean material and whatever is comfortable and willing to get good and dirty!!!

Bank of Dad
Sep. 29, 2009, 10:54 PM
I wish I could ride in jeans, I've tried them all, just no give and not comfy. Maybe I'm too short and short waisted.

Kerrits riding tights, Ariat All terrains, any kind of top, fisherman's vest for pockets for everything. Really old Mountain Horse 1/2 chaps. Wish I had more of them. Long silk or underarmour for cold. More fleece jackets and vests for cold.

Blaze orange vest and helmet cover for fall.

Golden Pony
Sep. 29, 2009, 11:36 PM
Depends on the riding - There are a couple of "down and dirty" trails that require "protection". I wore some great lightweight breeches out there once and came home with scratches all over my legs from thorns. So those places require jeans.

And - don't laugh - the best riding jeans i have are $17.95 Walmart Faded Glory jeans with a little touch of stretch fabric to them. They have great seams and the legs are "skinny" so half chaps fit perfect under them.

I think a Land's End/LL Bean type polo is the best - you can turn up the collar to keep from getting sunburned (rednecked) and the fabric breathes really well.

Have a pair of great no-name brushed swede /fabric half chaps that come out of the washer & dryer like new, cotton wool blend socks, and Ariat paddock boots that have dried out well a few times this summer from "water rides".

For winter I just add a layer of Cozies (or Cuddlies?) long under wear and tank, any cotton sweatshirt and Carhart work jacket.

My daughter wanted me to show my mare in an english hack class at a local show this summer. I declined - the idea of a ratchatcher, stock, britches and tall boots was about as appealing as high heels and panty hose...Oh, and don't forget trading in my cool, vented, Tipperary Sportage Helmet for that black velvet "suncatcher" - Yuck!

Lisa Cook
Sep. 29, 2009, 11:53 PM
I have a bright orange don't shoot me vest that I wear 100% of the time in hunting season, and when I remember it the rest of the year. I have to hack down a street to get to trails and I noticed when I wore the vest in hunting season, cars were much better about slowing down & giving a wide, careful berth around me. So I wear it outside of hunting season, too.

And...I have a string of sleighbells that I tie to my saddle in the fall. After 2 hours of bells ringing in my ears, I sometimes question if they are really needed! But I ride by myself, and don't want to surprise a hunter who doesn't know I'm coming because I'm riding in silence. The bells also serve notice to any bears in the area. The bears always seem to be much more out & about in the fall, and I'd sure hate to trot around a corner and surprise one!

As a total aside....last fall *3* bears wandered into our front yard. Our Jack Russell was out in the back yard. When she saw the bears, she went tearing after them, shrieking like a banshee. All 12 pounds of her chased 2 bears up a tree. The 3rd bear started up a tree, had a "wait a minute" moment, then turned and chased the dog. It all ended fine, with bears and dog none the worse for wear. :)

AKB
Sep. 30, 2009, 12:18 AM
Equissentials boot cut jodphur type pants, whatever shirt I happen to have on, my helmet and a cell phone in a pouch that I velcro to my calf.

billiebob
Sep. 30, 2009, 12:36 AM
If I'm wearing breeches at work that day, breeches with half chaps and whatever old shirt I've got on. Helmet, obviously, and gloves. If I'm wearing running pants, substitute full chaps for half chaps (fulls tend to keep the inner seam of the running pants intact longer). For trails that I know are going to be long and hard or for a paper chase, I wear my full chaps. I have an Ariat Pro jacket wiht zipper pockets for my cell phone--I wear that in cold weather. Otherwise phone goes into a pouch that I clip to my waist. I always take a phone.

JustTrails
Sep. 30, 2009, 12:46 AM
Always ride in jeans with lycra. Sport Bra, whatever t-shirt or knit shirt that is 'barn ready', Ariat All Terrains in the summer, Ariat lacers in the winter, Troxel Sierra helmet all year long. Our winter's are so mild we don't need much, but when it's windy or cooler/rainy, I'll add a vest or lighter jacket, usually layer so I can strip as we go, either due to weather or my own "Personal Summers".:winkgrin: Love my SS gloves for the winter. Also have some Arete half chaps that are great when it's colder.

Simbalism
Sep. 30, 2009, 02:44 AM
In the summer, riding tights(knee patch with my western style endurance saddle-full seat with my jumping saddle), paddock boots or Ariat Terrains, a sports bra and light weight man's tee shirt. In the fall, I add my cheap blaze orange Walmart special hunting vest. As the weather gets colder, I start wearing long sleeve tee shirts or long sleeve polo shirts. For winter into spring, I layer clothes. I have a lightweight fleece undershirt, then a Cuddleduds shirt then a turtle neck, then either a sweat shirt or polar fleece top.I have several pair of Tropical Rider fleece tights and a couple of other brands of fleece tights. If it is really cold I may add a pair of Cuddleduds underneath. I have two winter weight blaze orange vests. I also have a nice Dover's Riders brand combo jacket. It can be a lightweight shell, has a zip in quilted short coat that can also become a vest by zipping out the sleeves. My usual helmet is either a Troxel or IRH vented helmet. Oops, forgot socks. Most of the year I wear cotton socks, in the winter, I switch to fleece socks. I usually wear 1/2 chaps.

tabula rashah
Sep. 30, 2009, 01:47 PM
Spring/ Summer/ Fall- Black Irideon 3 Season Tights, white or purple T, tank, or polo (yes, I am that picky about color even when trail riding- LOL!), black half chaps, Ariat Terrains and helmet

Winter- jeans w/ tight underneather, Terrains, long underwear shirt, turtle neck and hoodie.

Mtn trails
Sep. 30, 2009, 08:28 PM
Wranglers, tee shirt, chinks, western boots and spurs, and a hat. When it's cool - turtleneck, Kerrits pullover light fleece top, jeans, etc. For really cold - thermal shirt, turtleneck, flannel shirt, heavy fleece vest, heavy winter riding coat, jeans, chinks, thermal socks, boots, gloves, and a fleece hat. I usually stay toasty warm in that get up. YOu can see I'm heavily into fleece.

Diamond Jake
Oct. 1, 2009, 02:59 PM
Mine will be typical, but here aresome changes I have been noticing in my apparel:

-been riding a lot more without half chaps. I love being able to feel the horse on my legs now! My fabulous Ariat half chaps are very thick.

-So switching to boot cut breeches. have you guys heard of Fuzzy Logic? These are new and PHENOMENAL! So comfy I got an extar pair to wear around the house like yoga plants.

-Yeah- my colors gotta match. That goes for streetwear, too, though. Usually black riding tights. Tack is black, too.

- Always hit JC Penny or Kohls for the tops. They have great activewear always on sale and much cheaper than "schooling" tops. I like them longer to hide my... ahem.... weaknessess!

-Ariat zip paddock. The closest thing I have found to the old Dansko paddocks, which I used to have and loved.

-Got a new Troxel show helmet this fall. Closest thing to a Charles Owen in looks, but a lot less in $$. My old black one was bleaching to the point that people thought I bought it in Maroon on purpose!

I am hoping to get a cool rain poncho in either a VERY lightweight oilskin, or a great waterproof, breathable synthetic. I think ponchos are so versatile. But who am I kidding? I have rarely ridden in the rain!!!

Lori
Oct. 1, 2009, 03:14 PM
If I am bareback, it is jeans and a t-shirt or tank top.
With my saddle it is Riding Sport breeches, half chaps and the same tops.

Joan Elaine
Oct. 1, 2009, 05:35 PM
I ride western, so I wear a comfortable blouse, stretch jeans and my cowboy boots. If you're short-wasted, why not tuck in the shirt? That way, you won't be sitting on it!

jazzrider
Oct. 2, 2009, 09:15 AM
I ride western, so I wear a comfortable blouse, stretch jeans and my cowboy boots. If you're short-wasted, why not tuck in the shirt? That way, you won't be sitting on it!

Because as a short wasted person (with really long legs) I hate tucking things in. But you're right, when I'm riding I could. I found some shirts and light activewear jackets at the Eddie Bauer outlet near my house this week that might work well. We're loading up in an hour to ride at Gettysburg, so we'll see how I like them! I plan to wear one of the shirts, my boot bottom breeches with half chaps, and the Troxel vest I got for free :D last week when I ordered my hubby a new helmet from Smartpak. Hoping the rain holds out...

Painted Horse
Oct. 2, 2009, 11:30 AM
About the only thing I change for a ride is my boots. For work and around the yard, I use steel toed, waffle stomping tread type of boots. For rides I have several sets of Packer boots. Smooth soled, thinner, good heel to catch on the stirrup and a spur ledge. I like the lace ups for the ankle support in case I get off and hike any.

Depending on the weather, Shotgun chaps if it's real cold or bushes are dripping with rain. Chinks for lighter weather or brush popping. For winter rides, I'll use the deniem lined jeans or layer on a pair of thermals under my jeans.

For shirts I like something with cargo pockets. A place to put the camera and cell phone. And I just keep layering up from there as the temps drop.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p259/Painted-Horse/2009/LimeKiln3.jpg
My daughters don't seem to think they need coats. But I usually keep a few extras in the truck or trailer. So they often are seen in my size of polar fleece.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p259/Painted-Horse/2009/Mar28-2.jpg

whitesage
Oct. 3, 2009, 01:23 AM
To find shorter shirts to ride in, I'd suggest looking at petites at someplace more generic; like Kohl's or JCPenney. It's terrible having too much bulk to the clothes you're riding in, and then have your clothes get in the way.

I actually have a longer torso and so struggle more to find shirts that will cover my midsection, but I'm somewhat short too, so sometimes I do struggle with non-petite shirts being too long.

I also find that shirts that are cut in a more structured 'fitted' way are better for riding too. Baggy sweatshirts don't work for me, I vastly prefer a well-fitted polar fleece or microfiber fleece. I have some from the Gap (bought at a used clothing store for $5 actually), as well as a nicer fleece from Patagonia that was given to me.

I also LOVE my Ariat waterproof riding jacket. The zippers go up as well as down, which means I can unzip UP as far as I need to to adjust it and keep it from being in my way. It's also very lightweight and comfortable even on muggy hot rainy days. And gotta love the hood that is big enough to fit over a helmet...

cloudy18
Oct. 4, 2009, 11:06 PM
Today I wore tights, jeans (it was chilly and on/off misting, a long sleeve shirt, thinner wool sweater, and sweatshirt, Ariat cowboy boots w/ wool type hiking socks, and thin gloves and helmet. The only riding specific apparel I had on were the boots and helmet. Guess I have never had the problem of sitting on my shirts. The bulk of the sweatshirt seems to keep it up enough.

MissBri
Oct. 5, 2009, 08:23 AM
During Hunting season I wear a bright color T-Shirt, turtle neck, sweatshirt/sweater if really cold, then a baseball style hunter's jacket (BRIGHT ORANGE). This way if I get warm I can take the jacket off but still be visible. And when I take it off I make sure it is draped over the horse's rump (kinda like a 1/4 sheet)

Almost always trail ride in jeans - except for the winter during stormy/frigid rides - then I wear my old Mountain horse winter riders overpants.

It gets pretty darn cold here - so I usually ride in layers.

twhs
Oct. 15, 2009, 03:44 PM
Hey Jazzrider --
Now I know why you looked so good in G'burg. All that fashion advice!
No kidding. You and hubby did look good. Think I'll go back now and look at the pictures. LOL

Wonder why no one mentioned Irideon Windpro's. I'd be lost in the winter without them because it is soooo windy here. If it gets ultra windy and cold, a pair of supplex tights underneath takes care of the problem. I also wear the smart wool socks made for hikers/mountain climbers underneath men's insulated ariat's (a style long ago discontinued) that are a 1/2 size larger than normal to accomodate the socks and my feet NEVER get cold.

Kerrits has a new "windpro" tight which were on sale at Dovers a couple weeks ago.

I cannot imagine going through the winter without the windpro's.

jazzrider
Oct. 15, 2009, 05:29 PM
Hey Jazzrider --
Now I know why you looked so good in G'burg. All that fashion advice!
No kidding. You and hubby did look good. Think I'll go back now and look at the pictures. LOL

Elaine, is that you? :winkgrin: Yup, I confess, I'm counseled by COTH.

I have a pair of Irideon Windpro breeches, and yes, they really are great. I need to get another pair like that for this winter. I'm thinking of trying the Smooth Stride version of them. Too bad my nice new riding top had to be covered by my ugly old raincoat for the Gettysburg ride. But it was fun!

busterwells
Oct. 16, 2009, 01:17 PM
Ahhh, that's why trail riding is so great. :) Who cares what you wear! :lol: :lol: :lol: I loff it. ;)

I always ride in tights (Ariat Venturas, Saddlebums & Irideons) with 1/2 chaps, a T-shirt or Polo and, if a warmer outter layer is needed, a fleece pullover with zip neck.

For winter, I'll do a layer of SmartSlims under my tights and Cuddleduds and a turtleneck long-sleeve on top, then my Mountain Horse jacket. I love that thing! Tons of pockets and uber comfy. Got it on sale last year from Horseloverz.com

My helmet, of course, always....during winter, I'll sock a Polar Fleece cover over it that wraps around my neck. Like these: https://www.helmetcovers.com/index.php?cPath=5&osCsid=7e277ca56a5990fa016745f79d406399

Thanks for the suggestion on the helmet cover, I just ordered one. I didn't know that these existed and I am a "freeze baby".

busterwells
Oct. 16, 2009, 01:24 PM
I have a bright orange don't shoot me vest that I wear 100% of the time in hunting season, and when I remember it the rest of the year. I have to hack down a street to get to trails and I noticed when I wore the vest in hunting season, cars were much better about slowing down & giving a wide, careful berth around me. So I wear it outside of hunting season, too.

And...I have a string of sleighbells that I tie to my saddle in the fall. After 2 hours of bells ringing in my ears, I sometimes question if they are really needed! But I ride by myself, and don't want to surprise a hunter who doesn't know I'm coming because I'm riding in silence. The bells also serve notice to any bears in the area. The bears always seem to be much more out & about in the fall, and I'd sure hate to trot around a corner and surprise one!

As a total aside....last fall *3* bears wandered into our front yard. Our Jack Russell was out in the back yard. When she saw the bears, she went tearing after them, shrieking like a banshee. All 12 pounds of her chased 2 bears up a tree. The 3rd bear started up a tree, had a "wait a minute" moment, then turned and chased the dog. It all ended fine, with bears and dog none the worse for wear. :)

Just bought my first Jack Russell this year. Didn't realize what hunters they are. Ours will go after anything that moves and then bring what it has caught in the house, yeah! I laugh how ferocious they think they are, mine bears his teeth and thinks his is bigger than life.