PDA

View Full Version : Dressage at Devon Ticket Problems

paintlady
Sep. 29, 2009, 10:23 AM
Did anyone else have issues with their reserved seats at Dressage at Devon?

My two friends and I purchased reserved seating for Saturday night and Sunday.

For Saturday night, we had tickets for Section EG, Row 3, Seats 14, 15 and 16. Well... there is no seat 16! The reserved seats were sold out. People wouldn't slide down the row to make room - even when asked by the usher. One of my friends wound up sitting on the steps until some nice folks in a different row made room. We wound up missing a couple of the riders trying to figure out the seating mess.

For Sunday, we had tickets for Section M-3. We couldn't find the Section and those we asked didn't know where it was either.

You'd think they'd know how many seats they have in each row before printing and selling tickets!!! Another lady I was talking to said that her seats were in row 11 and there were only 10 rows.

JLC7898
Sep. 29, 2009, 02:48 PM
I myself did not have problems with my reserved seating tickets, but MANY friendly other spectators that I got into conversations with had alot of problems! A nice lady was given a ticket with a seat that did not exist, and others were sold seats that were double booked!!

rebecca yount
Sep. 30, 2009, 08:24 AM
I'm pretty sure M-3 was in the main grandstand (the one on the side opposite where the warmup was). But it was so empty on Sunday why did it even matter? You could basically sit just about anywhere, including in lots of empty boxes.

On Friday night we sat in box M-1 which was right by the souvenir shop on the corner of the main grandstand.

Remember that most workers at Devon are volunteers, and some are new each year so they might not know the answers to all questions. But if you go to the Secretary's office, Lori K or anyone there could help you or point you to someone who can.

paintlady
Sep. 30, 2009, 08:40 AM
Sunday wasn't a problem. When we couldn't find our reserved seats, we just sat somewhere else since it was pretty empty.

My main issue was with Saturday. It's no fun having paid for a ticket for a seat that doesn't exist during a sold out event. My friend really didn't appreciate having to sit on the steps until we could find her another seat. You'd think they'd know that there were only 15 seats in each row before mailing out the tickets.

Lora
Sep. 30, 2009, 08:48 AM
My row didn't exist - 13 - Connie the ticket lady said the company that printed the tickets miss-printed the tickets - 3 rows didn't exist. She was very nice and found my friends and I seats with backs (which I originally had asked for) I am sure not everyone was as lucky as I was - fyi - I checked out my seating early - about 6:00 P.M. - so I had plenty of time to get them corrected.

ise@ssl
Oct. 1, 2009, 12:35 AM
We only had problems with tickets we left at Will Call for friends - (in envelopes with their names on them) - they disappeared.

Keepthepeace
Oct. 2, 2009, 10:34 PM
We had seats for Friday all day, Saturday all day and Sunday and they were all fine! I ordered them in May and got them in July. They mailed them to Canada - no issues at all.

Warmblooded707
Dec. 25, 2009, 09:30 PM
I'm pretty sure M-3 was in the main grandstand (the one on the side opposite where the warmup was). But it was so empty on Sunday why did it even matter? You could basically sit just about anywhere, including in lots of empty boxes.

On Friday night we sat in box M-1 which was right by the souvenir shop on the corner of the main grandstand.

Remember that most workers at Devon are volunteers, and some are new each year so they might not know the answers to all questions. But if you go to the Secretary's office, Lori K or anyone there could help you or point you to someone who can.

:winkgrin:Yes you silly seat people - all you had to do was find Lori K (she's everywhere like a fine mist) and then wander around the grandstands looking for your non-existent seats, and by god you better be happy about it! After all, this is DAD; be thankful they even let you in! Question: did any who did not have a seat ask for or obtain a refund? :confused: That would be nice to know :yes::no: Most workers are volunteers and those in high-profile jobs should know answers to most questions - they've been in those jobs since time began - it's a rather closed little circle...:sigh:

ise@ssl
Dec. 27, 2009, 01:26 AM
There does seem to be disconnects on things at DAD which shouldn't be the case - it's a yearly event. I've had a box at DAD for well over twelve yars and for the past 3 years I've paid for a reserved parking space. I've been able to park in the space exactly 5 TIMES!. It's rather frustrating to see your name plate there and someone else's car in the space. They just tell me to park somewhere else! In fact last year the person who was in the space for 3 days running was a Committee member. Complaining is impossible - you have to track down the person responsble and that takes time and then they have to try to announce the license plate to have the person - WHO DIDN'T PAY FOR THE SPACE - move their car. We pay for the space because we drive down daily from NJ and it saves us time to have the space available - only problem is IT'S NEVER AVAILABLE!! Needless to say I'm not forking over the money for a space in 2010 - I've figured out for all the money I've spent and had no parking space - I could have rented a room at the hotel next door and parked there FOR FREE!!

JMurray
Dec. 27, 2009, 09:54 AM
Being a DAD box holder has it's interesting moments like when you arrive for an afternoon and have to ask squatters to leave your box and they ask if you wouldn't mind using the next box over so they don't need to move all their picnic baskets, shopping bags and 4 guests...since after all I am just one person. Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha....like no I won't and please leave now.

ise@ssl
Dec. 27, 2009, 12:50 PM
Or when you arrive at your box and there are no chairs! Other people have taken them to other boxes - so you have to go around and see who has more than 6 chairs and ask for the extras!! We've had people get pretty nasty about this.

We have also had people sitting in our box and when we arrive and say hello and sit down they don't even leave until we introduce ourselves and say "oh by the way...this is our box". They usually get up and just move to someone else's box!!

paintlady
Dec. 27, 2009, 05:57 PM
Question: did any who did not have a seat ask for or obtain a refund? :confused: That would be nice to know :yes::no: :

Yes - we asked for a refund for the tickets we received for our non-existent seat immediately after the event. We were told we'd get one too... still waiting.............

rosinante
Dec. 27, 2009, 08:37 PM
Many moons ago, back when DVCTA ran DaD, it was pointed out that DaD is actually a million dollar business.....and that it should be treated professionally. This fact seems to escape a few people.

Warmblooded707
Dec. 27, 2009, 10:42 PM
Many moons ago, back when DVCTA ran DaD, it was pointed out that DaD is actually a million dollar business.....and that it should be treated professionally. This fact seems to escape a few people.

And all God's Children say AMEN!
Not so funny that those "few people" masquerading at being in charge of the million $ business expect to be treated as professionals and are more often than not clueless as to how to reciprocate to the PAYING CUSTOMERS of their business. I am NOT referencing the volunteers who show up annually and do all a great service that otherwise could not be afforded. Thank you to them and God Bless :yes:

In the interest of full disclosure allow me to add that I am no fan of the folks who run the event so my opinions are biased having been formed over many years of up close and personal observation and hands-on experience. That being said, as time goes by, the Kings and Queens of Management et al just keep rolling along proving my point. ;)

paintlady
Dec. 28, 2009, 10:07 AM
Got our refund today... thanks to Lori, President/CEO of Dressage at Devon. Honestly, my friends and I had more or less given up after our initial e-mail exchanges after the event. Then, out of nowhere, this thread resurfaces.

I just hope that the tickets are examined more closely in the future to avoid future issues like the one my friends and I went through. This was our first trip to Dressage at Devon too.

puddytat
Dec. 28, 2009, 11:39 AM
Hummmmm. Like magic, your refund appears????

You might note that there is a new ticket/box seats/parking chair this year..... we should give her a year to see if things improve. It should be interesting!

As far as the reserved parking spots, you have EVERY RIGHT to demand that the spot is available to you - even if you have to kick the committee person out. It is really not fair to you, as the purchaser of that spot. Just try parking in a reserved spot at the bank, or the courthouse, etc. You'd be towed in a New York minute!!

ise@ssl
Dec. 28, 2009, 11:57 AM
Well Puddytat - it's not as easy as you think to insist on the space - that's the problem. You have to go to the office and spend time tracking down SOMEONE who can help. Then they have to announce the license plate # to get the person who parked there to move - then IF they show up I have to go back out and move my vehicle. I'm there to watch the show and this process takes up to an hour.

This past show I gave in and just parked where they told me to because I had several youngster showing that I wanted to watch. But we put the hammer down on Saturday night only to find - a woman with handicap plates parked in our spot. She was told to park in the designated handicap parking and just didn't. They had been announcing her plate # all day and when we arrived - it took her an hour to finally show up. We were furious and Lori K did come out but it still TAKES UP SO MUCH TIME. We miss seeing the show. Unfortunately the Show people blame the men running the parking lot and THAT'S NOT FAIR. We have seen time and time again were people are told by these men where to park and the people just park wherever they want to and walk past the men and go into the show. Communication between the lot and the SOMEONE on the show staff doesn't seem to exist. Even when the spaces are blocked with cones the people who insist on breaking the rules just move the cones and bolt into the show grounds. I think if they TOWED more of the cars this crap would stop.

Also the reserved parking along the wall is set up so tight that the # of parking spaces WILL NOT FIT THAT NUMBER OF CARS!! I am writing to Lori to suggest they block of an area between Lancaster Pike and the entrance for reserved parking - not along the fence - it's impossible for the men working there to control the STINKERS who break the rules time and time again. AND - I feel if a Committee member parks in a spot that someone paid for THEY SHOULD HAVE TO PAY THE PATRON FOR USING THE SPOT. We pay for these parking spots MONTHS in advance.

DownYonder
Dec. 28, 2009, 12:16 PM
My uncle has been involved with a charity equine event in FL for quite a few years now. Over the years, they had very few problems with “squatters”, however, now that the “Me” generation has reached adulthood and is busily producing the “Mini-Me” generation, they are having more and more incidences at his event with people sitting in reserved seating they didn’t pay for, parking in reserved parking spaces belonging to others, and just generally being rude and inconsiderate toward others.

My uncle’s solution was to contact nearby law enforcement groups and offer several day passes for each 4 hours of volunteer time from the officers. This worked out really well, as the officers would bring their families to enjoy the show while they policed the parking areas, reserved seating areas, etc. It has especially been a big hit with mounted police groups – although they did not bring their own equine partners, the officers very much enjoyed watching the “horsey doings” while “on duty” at the show.

The presence of these officers restored civility to the event as not too many spoiled “Me-Me” brats are going to try to squat in someone else’s reserved seats or steal a reserved parking space when there are uniformed officers checking tickets and policing the stands and parking lots. LOL!

puddytat
Dec. 28, 2009, 12:36 PM
Oh, I AM familiar with the whole rig-a-marole.....
also had a friend who paid for reserved parking for years and only ONCE got the hang tag....
I realize it does take a while to get the situation solved, but hey, the squeeky wheel gets the grease!
Maybe if you call the ticket office a half hour before you arrive and WARN them you are coming, and to make sure your parking place is free..... LOL!!! And an on-site tow truck would be an interesting motivator!
I do know there are alot of liberties taken with the parking at DaD..... and the parking lot attendants are only paid employees. Since there is really no one in charge of PARKING specifically, it ends up being a total mess.
DaD is the only show using the Devon Show Grounds that takes the ENTIRE parking lot and uses it for paid boxholder parking and VIPs. There is NO General Parking in that lot on the right side of the street. So, even if there are free spots in that lot, they have to be "held" in case a paid boxholder shows up.

Warmblooded707
Dec. 28, 2009, 10:27 PM
Oh, I AM familiar with the whole rig-a-marole.....
also had a friend who paid for reserved parking for years and only ONCE got the hang tag....
I realize it does take a while to get the situation solved, but hey, the squeeky wheel gets the grease!
Maybe if you call the ticket office a half hour before you arrive and WARN them you are coming, and to make sure your parking place is free..... LOL!!! And an on-site tow truck would be an interesting motivator!
I do know there are alot of liberties taken with the parking at DaD..... and the parking lot attendants are only paid employees. Since there is really no one in charge of PARKING specifically, it ends up being a total mess.
DaD is the only show using the Devon Show Grounds that takes the ENTIRE parking lot and uses it for paid boxholder parking and VIPs. There is NO General Parking in that lot on the right side of the street. So, even if there are free spots in that lot, they have to be "held" in case a paid boxholder shows up.

Since all of the above comments and prior posts are without a doubt accurate, and we're all in agreement that the VIP parking is unmanageable under the best of circumstances, and given the parking lot guys, bless their hearts, and the management du jour are unable to find a viable solution without calling out the local law enforcement and Skeeter the Tow Truck Guy here's a suggestion:

1. Don't sell in advance what you may not be able to provide. In some worlds this would be considered dishonest on its face but let's be clear I am not implying the show or committee is acting in bad faith; I think they do have honorable intentions when selling parking passes.
2. It's ridiculous to "hold" spots for people who may or may not show up; Murphy's Law applies here - the second you "give" the spot to a general parking client, POOF, along comes Mrs. Muckinfuch in her big Muckinfuch car/SUV/whatever and demands her spot - and rightfully so if it's pre-purchased.
3. Eliminate all VIP, pre-purchase parking and go back to what makes perfect sense - charge a fee that works, say $10 per and perhaps consider increasing the fee for evenings and/or weekends and first come, first served. Deceptively simple and where's the downside? Granted, the parking attendants have to handle cash but that shouldn't be a huge issue to resolve. Also the committee saves some bucks on printing hanging tags, and the complimentary Pepcid AC for the poor volunteers. When the lot is full folks move on and park somewhere else - like the train station across the road and hoof it.:) Remember the Golden Rule - KISS - keep it simple stupid.

Warmblooded707
Dec. 28, 2009, 10:33 PM
Got our refund today... thanks to Lori, President/CEO of Dressage at Devon. Honestly, my friends and I had more or less given up after our initial e-mail exchanges after the event. Then, out of nowhere, this thread resurfaces.

I just hope that the tickets are examined more closely in the future to avoid future issues like the one my friends and I went through. This was our first trip to Dressage at Devon too.

Happy to here you got your refund! And as the threads on the COTH boards are monitored by the powers that be, I'd say this thread resurfacing and your refund arriving was not co-incidence. However you got it, let's just say Hooray! :D

Tiki
Dec. 29, 2009, 09:11 AM
That's just nonsense. The huge parking lot to the side of Devon is a paid lot and anyone with the money to pay can park there.

3. Eliminate all VIP, pre-purchase parking and go back to what makes perfect sense - charge a fee that works, say $10 per and perhaps consider increasing the fee for evenings and/or weekends and first come, first served. Deceptively simple and where's the downside? Granted, the parking attendants have to handle cash but that shouldn't be a huge issue to resolve.
They DO charge a fee for that lot and the parking attendants DO INDEED take money, and if I remember correctly give you a parking card to place on your dash. However, at any rate, when I stay over Fridays for the performance division to watch the Young Horse Tests, after the Breed Show is over and my competitor pass no longer gets me in the small lot out back, I do indeed pay. Where does this crap come from????? Yes, there may be some legitimate problems with the reserved spaces and people squatting in box seat areas, but c'mon, don't take the whole show to bits and pieces. Lori does a heck of a good job with a very big show on very small show grounds.

Warmblooded707
Dec. 29, 2009, 09:33 AM
That's just nonsense. The huge parking lot to the side of Devon is a paid lot and anyone with the money to pay can park there.

They DO charge a fee for that lot and the parking attendants DO INDEED take money, and if I remember correctly give you a parking card to place on your dash. However, at any rate, when I stay over Fridays for the performance division to watch the Young Horse Tests, after the Breed Show is over and my competitor pass no longer gets me in the small lot out back, I do indeed pay. Where does this crap come from????? Yes, there may be some legitimate problems with the reserved spaces and people squatting in box seat areas, but c'mon, don't take the whole show to bits and pieces. Lori does a heck of a good job with a very big show on very small show grounds.

My point, clearly missed by you, is to eliminate the option to reserved parking spaces that may not be deliverable and go strictly on, as you state in your commentary, a first-come, first-served parking availability for a fee. "Yes, there may be some legitimate problems with the reserved spaces and people squatting in box seat areas":confused: May be?:confused: Two pages of comments by people who have actual, first-hand experience with parking issues should not be dismissed as "crap". We are talking about a world-class competition here are we not? And limiting this thread to only the parking issues has not, IMHO, taken the whole show to "bits and pieces". Surely, the professional management can take a bit of constructive criticism and well-meant suggestions without relying on or hiding behind predictable and tiresome cheerleaders?

Tiki
Dec. 29, 2009, 05:23 PM
WB707, you really need to learn to read for comprehension.
Two pages of comments by people who have actual, first-hand experience with parking issues should not be dismissed as "crap". I certainly never said the complaints about parking should be dismissed as crap, but rather the know it alls who said there is no such think as pay for parking and that the big lot is for the VIP's and reserved parking. The only reserved parking right now is against the show grounds wall on the side of Devon. There is a HUGE pay lot across the street. Too many people said there is no pay parking, only reserved and VIP parking. THAT's what's crap.

Warmblooded707
Dec. 30, 2009, 09:28 AM
:lol: Ok, thank you for that clarification. I do hear what you are saying and what you say about the lots is so.

My suggestion to eliminate all VIP parking, however, still stands. It's unwieldy and perhaps trying a year of simplified pay as you go in all available lots, would be a good start at making everyone's lives easier - spectators and committee alike :cool: Think about it - no reservations to worry over, no tickets to distribute, no advance money to collect and worry about disgruntled people when you can't deliver, and people are on their own, a level playing field, first-come first and nearest parked :)

puddytat
Dec. 30, 2009, 11:12 AM
At the risk of being a "know all"......

Tiki, put on your glasses and look at the back wall (Western side, towards Waterloo Gardens) of the big lot on the right, and you will see nameplates all along that wooden wall,,, all pre-paid reserved parking spots. As well, two years ago, I was parked inside the back gate, to the right of the stabling office, because the pre-paid, reserved parking spot on the "wall" had someone's car in it (probably a committee member).

And there IS A PORTION of the big lot held for Mrs. Muchinfuchs, who arrives and needs a spot for her HMS Titanic SUV. Even if they double park people, there will be a spot.

puddytat
Dec. 30, 2009, 11:17 AM
Oh, yeah, and at least one third of that big lot (the southern third) is held for volunteers, until it gets full.

Face it; it's the lack of real estate that causes heartburn.

If you go to 'Big' Devon in the spring, there is no reserved parking in that big lot; it's first come first served. Talk about a parking nightmare!!

Boxholders are on thier own for parking!

There used to be an offer of buying a box and reserved parking, but the space is dwindling on the grounds, and I don't think they do that any more.

paintlady
Dec. 31, 2009, 11:11 AM
Happy to here you got your refund! And as the threads on the COTH boards are monitored by the powers that be, I'd say this thread resurfacing and your refund arriving was not co-incidence. However you got it, let's just say Hooray! :D

Well, I wasn't the one that resurfaced this thread. Honestly, my friends and I just assumed we were out of luck. I was quite pleased with how helpful the DAD folks were when they saw this. They thought our refund had already gone out back in October, but apparently there was a PayPal error. I'm just happy it's resolved. It has encouraged my friends and I to go back to DAD... although we'll be sure to check that our seat numbers are no greater than 15!

Warmblooded707
Dec. 31, 2009, 09:19 PM
PL - With a show the size of DAD and the myriad things that can, and sometimes do, go wrong, it is very good news you rec'd your refund. :) In giving credit where credit is due, (no pun intended here, :winkgrin:) we can give kudos to the committee for getting it right:winkgrin: Hope the show in 2010 is a good one and your seats are spectacular! :D