PDA

View Full Version : Better Talk Now - RETIRED

DickHertz
Sep. 29, 2009, 09:57 AM
He blew a rear suspensory and is officially retired. Wish they had put this guy in some easier stakes this year to go out on a winning note.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 29, 2009, 10:57 AM
The article: BloodHorse - 9-29-09 "Better Talk Now Retired Due to Injury" (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/52728/better-talk-now-retired-due-to-injury) :( However the best news bit out of the story is that

The injury is not life threatening and will have no impact on Better Talk Now in retirement.

As has been cited here and elsewhere his conenctions were openly saying he was going to do just one maybe two more races and that was going to be a career. He was expected to be in the Grade 1 $600,000 Joe Hirsch Turf Classic at Belmont (http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHorsemenAreaDownloadAction.cfm?sn=SN-BEL-20091003-488230) against Gio Ponti, Al Khali , Grand Couturier, Presious Passion, and Telling.

I cannot fault Graham Motion and Bushwood Stables as they've keep him in very good form and still competitive at the top graded levels in his last few races.

Hopefully those connections won't drink the kool-aid that the Lava Man folks have been sipping for some stem-cell and oxygen chamber sessions and "good as new" conclusion.

Perhaps he'll be off to Maryland to visit his buddy the rabbit :D

Glimmerglass
Sep. 29, 2009, 11:09 AM
This was the article just a month or so ago ...Aug 19, 2009 "Road's end near for Better Talk Now" (http://www.ntra.com/content.aspx?type=news&id=41176)

What Motion and owner Brent Johnson are now thinking is to give Better Talk Now one more race and then call it a career. That last race most likely will take place in the Grade 1 Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational at Belmont Park on Oct. 3.

"We'll point him for one race in the fall, possibly the Joe Hirsch, then we'll say that will be his swan song," Motion said.

"It's a tough decision to make emotionally," Motion said. "When you have a horse that runs like that, when you see him every day and he's doing well and he enjoys it, it's hard to say he shouldn't be doing it."

Glimmerglass
Sep. 29, 2009, 12:24 PM
The Daily Racing Form has more details (http://drf.com/news/article/107632.html) and paint a different picture:

Motion said Better Talk Now had inflammation in his hind leg that would "come and go" throughout the year. After the gelding worked at Fair Hill on Saturday, the inflammation came back but never went away. Motion had an ultrasound performed on the leg at Fair Hill but could not find anything amiss. Motion shipped the horse to the New Bolton Medical Center, where Dr. Dean Richardson performed an ultrasound that discovered the fresh tear.

"Dean Richardson said it's a very unusual tear of the suspensory," Motion said. "That wouldn't surprise you because so few horses are around this long. It's inevitable that it's something unusual that would happen to him."

So the injury occured Saturday and at Fair Hill.

"It's disappointing," Motion said by phone form his base at the Fair Hill training center in Maryland. "You'd rather them go out on their own terms than being forced into doing it. It would have been nice to a have a swan song, but I guess it's not meant to be. I'd rather he was healthy than have something disastrous happen."

Motion said Better Talk Now would remain at Fair Hill for the foreseeable future.

"He gets turned out everyday in his paddock, no plans to change," Motion said.

Laurierace
Sep. 29, 2009, 01:31 PM
Blowing a suspensory would mean surgery and most likely euthanasia. Thankfully Dick overstated it by a lot as its just a tear. I am glad they are retiring him, he hasn't looked right to me for years. Sure has a lot of heart though.

Mara
Sep. 29, 2009, 01:52 PM
He has always been one of my favorites. I'd love to see him at KHP, if I may indulge in a little wishful thinking.

DickHertz
Sep. 29, 2009, 03:05 PM
Blowing a suspensory would mean surgery and most likely euthanasia. .

Not really, a tear is often referred to as a blown suspensory. The heading of the thread said "RETIRED" not euthanized. I believe the bestselling book referred to Seabiscuit having a "blown suspensory" several times and wasn't euthanized nor did he have surgery on it. Good lord you can be a nitpicker at times.

vineyridge
Sep. 29, 2009, 03:53 PM
He has always been one of my favorites. I'd love to see him at KHP, if I may indulge in a little wishful thinking.

Agreed. What a grand old man he has been.