PDA

View Full Version : Anybody going to Aiken, SC this winter?

xcPayge
Sep. 29, 2009, 09:37 AM
I'm a 17 year old working student for an ULR and I am moving to Aiken this winter the beginning of Jan to mid March. I want to know all of the working students and riders going to Aiken. Ill be leaving my senior year to finish School online, leave all my friends and I'm the only working student therefore I need some horsey friends to hang out with on weekends that understand my crazy lifesyle and love horses as much as I do. To be honest I'm terrified! I'd love to meet other working students, riders, and grooms that will be down there. I'm so excited and would love to meet up!

-Payge

carolinagirl191
Sep. 29, 2009, 10:49 AM
Who are you working for and where will you be staying (if you know that part)? You'll be fine!!! Don't be terrified. If you are w/ a BNT you'll be busy and you'll meet people just like you from the moment you arrive. As for
"some horsey friends to hang out with on weekends that understand my crazy lifesyle and love horses as much as I do."
You'll be with them every weekend at the competitions - EVERY WEEKEND - your down time will probably be a week day.

RiverBendPol
Sep. 29, 2009, 11:23 AM
Wow! You get time off???????:eek:
We should have an email list of all Aiken-goers so we can play together. We'll be there Feb 1st-March 31, maybe till April 15.

xcPayge
Sep. 29, 2009, 07:46 PM
Who are you working for and where will you be staying (if you know that part)? You'll be fine!!! Don't be terrified. If you are w/ a BNT you'll be busy and you'll meet people just like you from the moment you arrive. As for
"some horsey friends to hang out with on weekends that understand my crazy lifesyle and love horses as much as I do."
You'll be with them every weekend at the competitions - EVERY WEEKEND - your down time will probably be a week day.

I've worked for Rebekah Simmons for about 7 months now and we're going down together soon to rent a great house and 8 stall barn she found. But i'm not sure exactly where it is yet. Thank you so much! It's terrifying to pack up and leave for four months somewhere i've never been with nobody i know other then my trainer. We're really close though, so i know we'll keep each-other company. But all the great things you and everyone has said on here about Aiken makes me just excited to go! I know i'll be super busy (that won't change) ;] Especially with schoolwork on top of working and competing. What i meant by weekends is after i'm done working on friday/sat night or at events. I usually get about 2 days off a week. And being so close to competitions we wont have drive 9 hours just to get to one. Thanks again!

xcPayge
Sep. 29, 2009, 07:49 PM
Wow! You get time off???????:eek:
We should have an email list of all Aiken-goers so we can play together. We'll be there Feb 1st-March 31, maybe till April 15.

Hahaha i get two days off a week here, but i also go to highschool until 12pm everyday, so i'm sure that might change. But since i have an amazing trainer, who did cyber school while she was a full time working student too, she understands that i need time to work and breathe so i don't get burnt out. She's the reason working students at the O'Connor's have one day off a week :P That's a great idea to get everyone together! That was what i was hoping for with his post. Hopefully this bumps it up and gets some attention from everyone. Are you a working student?

pixietrix
Sep. 29, 2009, 08:25 PM
when did THAT start??? I guess I was about 20 years too early.

You will have a great time in Aiken, Rebekah couldn't be nicer and you will see A LOT of the best event horses & riders in the country in a small area in a short amount of time. Really useful trip for those of us normally stuck in a snowbank for 4 months a year.

see you there!

xcPayge
Sep. 30, 2009, 07:11 AM
Lol i guess i just got really really lucky, i'm sure that will change when im in Aiken, but taking care of 7-8 horses is nothing compared to 20 :] Thank you so much, i know she really is great. It's going to be 35 degrees tonight and its not even october. I'm already begging to leave now! I'll see you there.

RiverBendPol
Sep. 30, 2009, 07:42 AM
Are you a working student?

HA, sadly, no. I am an OLD hag! I have a 6 year old OTTB who will be enjoying his 3rd Aiken winter this year. My daughter, who will be with me with her 2 TBs and hopefully 2 clients' horses, worked for Sally Cousins years ago. The time off then was a joke but Sal was a fabulous boss, Em rode a zillion horses every day and had a ball.

When you figure out where you'll be down there, you'll have to post it here. We'll be on Redds Branch Road Feb. 1st. Can't WAIT!!

xcPayge
Sep. 30, 2009, 10:03 AM
That is so awesome! I'm sure she learned a bunch with Sally. I will deffinitely post whenever i figure everything out (hopefully soon!). I hope to see you guys down there!

-Payge

tbeventer
Sep. 30, 2009, 04:13 PM
I moved to Aiken last winter from the West Coast--permanantly-- after a brief visit in November. It's absolute heaven! I'm 30 minutes from town and 20 minutes from every event venue that's local, just over an hour from Pine Top, and from there... well, 3-4 hours to Chatt Hills and Poplar. The best part is that no matter where you go in town, all you hear is horse this and horse that. My husband will be in absolute hell when he visits, but for me, it doesn't get much better! I'm sure you'll have a blast and never want to leave!

RiverBendPol
Sep. 30, 2009, 04:26 PM
My husband will be in absolute hell when he visits, but for me, it doesn't get much better! I'm sure you'll have a blast and never want to leave!
Let me know when he's coming, we can coordinate the Miserable Husbands Club. The golf is superb, as is the bourbon.:winkgrin:

tbeventer
Sep. 30, 2009, 08:57 PM
He'll be here over Halloween. He hates SC because he's a rock climber and grew up in Yosemite. Definately not a golfer... too slow of a sport for him. He doesn't totally despise the horses, but all he hears is, "horse, horse, horse... horse, horse, horse, horse"...:yes: and sees those damned dollar signs! So I live here and he lives in CA. Our daughter loves the ponies and climbs at the gym with me, so she gets the best of both worlds. :D

RunForIt
Sep. 30, 2009, 09:36 PM
Let me know when he's coming, we can coordinate the Miserable Husbands Club. The golf is superb, as is the bourbon.:winkgrin:

my husband LOVES Aiken, LOVES eventing sans dressage phase, LIVES to golf and drink beer, would ride if he could instantly ride like Bruce (who he sat on a XC jump at Foxhall one year - BOTH sans shirts - and happily drank beer and talked horses like he had NEVER refused to hold one, but had cleaned many a stall and bought many a horse shoe...) .:cool:

xcPayge
Oct. 1, 2009, 11:47 AM
Anyone?

Mariequi
Oct. 1, 2009, 12:17 PM
I'm moving back there permanently end of this month after being in KY for 11 years. I'm an old lady though, but sweetie you're going to be SO busy with horses and horse people and you're going to meet so many so fast! Welcome!

elly
Oct. 1, 2009, 12:58 PM
Mariequi - good to have you back home !! We missed you :-)

Mariequi
Oct. 1, 2009, 01:57 PM
Hey, Elly! Can't wait to see you!

clivers
Oct. 1, 2009, 03:06 PM

Can my hubby be friends with yours'? He loves bourbon!!! We both do ;)
I promise he is well behaved and doesn't even smell offensive!

RiverBendPol
Oct. 1, 2009, 11:21 PM
Can my hubby be friends with yours'? He loves bourbon!!! We both do ;)
I promise he is well behaved and doesn't even smell offensive!

You bet. :winkgrin:

xcPayge
Oct. 2, 2009, 09:35 PM
Bumping this up a bit :]

CookiePony
Oct. 2, 2009, 10:15 PM
I haven't posted yet since I will not be there all winter-- just during Spring Break (I teach at a university). But I am planning on showing up for the week before the first Sporting Days in March. I hope I get to see some of you guys (especially Pol and Marie)!

RunForIt
Oct. 2, 2009, 10:38 PM
I haven't posted yet since I will not be there all winter-- just during Spring Break (I teach at a university). But I am planning on showing up for the week before the first Sporting Days in March. I hope I get to see some of you guys (especially Pol and Marie)!

CP is throwing me a 60th birthday party, ...begins at Pine Top Farm advanced HT, then moves on to Aiken...Y'ALL COME! :lol: :cool:

RiverBendPol
Oct. 3, 2009, 01:26 AM
Oh, CP. let's try again! :)
RFI, I'll come to your party. What shall I bring?:winkgrin:

CookiePony
Oct. 3, 2009, 11:31 AM
CP is throwing me a 60th birthday party, ...begins at Pine Top Farm advanced HT, then moves on to Aiken...Y'ALL COME! :lol: :cool:

I am? Ahem... I mean... oh yes, of course! Everybody is invited! Pol, how about a nice big bottle of middlebrow wine? :winkgrin:

RiverBendPol
Oct. 3, 2009, 01:55 PM
middlebrow wine? :winkgrin:

What the hell is that? :D Pardon my ignorance..........And my French.......

CookiePony
Oct. 3, 2009, 09:26 PM
Oh, something between jug/box wine and Le Chateau Expensive (you can understand that because you speak French ;)). You know, like Yellow Tail or somesuch that comes in the bigger bottles. I dunno-- anything will do, really! :lol:

To keep this HR: Is the first March Sporting Days typically a harder or softer course?

RiverBendPol
Oct. 4, 2009, 08:50 AM
Oui, oui, Madamoiselle! I'll be there.
As for Sporting Days, I can't possibly comment. It is just a gas over there. OMG, I can't wait. We've had a day of rain here and it is so slippery all we can do is wander. Pretty tho, leaves are turning.

RunForIt
Oct. 4, 2009, 09:10 AM
Oh, something between jug/box wine and Le Chateau Expensive (you can understand that because you speak French ;)). You know, like Yellow Tail or somesuch that comes in the bigger bottles. I dunno-- anything will do, really! :lol:

To keep this HR: Is the first March Sporting Days typically a harder or softer course?

Alice White is also nice...as are CARROT CAKE CUPCAKES!!!!! I bet they will keep well enough from Nashville to Thompson :winkgrin:

So now, I have a REAL goal for Rasta...be ready for the Teeny Weenies division - or whatever it's called - at Sporting Days... :lol: :D :cool:

K.
Oct. 5, 2009, 05:43 AM
Mariequi - good to have you back home !! We missed you :-)

Hi Elly!
canada is cold.. I hope fall is cooling things off down there :)

To the OP:

I was in Aiken last winter.. I had a blast.. you will meet so many people when you get there.. Have fun! :)