PDA

View Full Version : Do you expect to get put into the division you apply for?

vali
Sep. 29, 2009, 02:42 AM
I recently entered an event that usually has a Senior Amateur Training division, a Senior Rider Division, and an Open Division. I've done Prelim but not for about 10 years, and I'm riding a young horse that has never never done Training level. I put on my entry (and kept a copy) that choice 1 was SAMT, 2 was STR, and 3 was TH. I did not put Open Training as an choice. When I pulled up the ride times I'm now entered in the OT division. Is this odd? I emailed the organizer, and they said they would put me on the waiting list for TR, which has twentysome entries. No explanation of why I am in the open division, since I did not list my prelim experience, which is over 10 years ago. I think they didn't have quite enough entries to split the divisions, so decided to even out the divisions by putting some people in the open division, although there was no mention of this in the omnibus listing. Needless to say, I'm not a professional, and the complicating factor is that the Open Division always runs first at this event and I'm slotted to go at around 8 am, and I'm commuting from an hour away and have two young kids.

Highflyer
Sep. 29, 2009, 06:29 AM
I wouldn't consider it a guarantee, no. Certainly I wouldn't plan my day around it. It's just a statement of your preference. The fact that you're an amateur has nothing to do with it, anyway--I'm a pro and eligible for rider divisions too. They probably drew randomly.

If you really can't do an 8 AM ride time, why not call or email and ask politely if you can be put toward the end of the division? If there are 10 or 15 people, that will put you at 9:30 or so.

Janet
Sep. 29, 2009, 07:14 AM
Nope. All you are listing is a preference. The secretary can, and will, put you in any division you are eligible for.

I would guess that the sec chose to keep the "just moving up to Training" people in TR, and put some people who have been doing Training "for years" in OT.

inquisitive
Sep. 29, 2009, 07:58 AM
I once made a mistake where I put amateur as first choice, rider as second, and horse as third. Because the omnibus didn't explicitly list an amateur division (and one wasn't offered), people who put rider division as first choice got it and because I only had it as second choice I got put in the horse division.

I thought it was a little weird but they might have done the same thing.

retreadeventer
Sep. 29, 2009, 09:21 AM
You're an hour away and go early.
I WISH!!!!
I have had 8:00 dressage times and been a four-hour drive away and more...with a whole farm to care for before I leave and when I get back.

I don't have a single event that isn't at least a 2-hour drive away. Even a cross country schooling is an hour to the closest, and that for a tiny little introductory course. After having been in Area 6 and 7 for half my life - this is luxury beyond measure!

As far as preferences, well, that sucks. Know the feeling.