PDA

View Full Version : Horse jumping exercises.

forestergirl99
Sep. 28, 2009, 11:39 PM
I need help finding some jumping exercises to do with my horse. I can't seem to find any good ones online, and I'm thinking I'll just make something up, but I want some input in what I should do. I just want some odd things I can do to spook my horse because he needs to get braver with scary fences, and I also want some tight turns and gymnastics. Any ideas welcome!! :yes: If anyone can come up with a website that has lots of good exercises that would be awesome as well. :)

IFG
Sep. 29, 2009, 07:14 AM
Two great books worth owning:

Jimmy Wofford's:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_lpo_ix_dp_go_uk_us_en_jimmy.020wofford.020g ymnastic_gl_book/280-7661048-3908267?ie=UTF8&keywords=jimmy%20wofford%20gymnastic&tag=lpo_ixdpgoukusenjimmy.020wofford.020gymnasticg l_book-20&index=blended&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_r=067JBPW6AAHZSBB98Y31&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=471057153&pf_rd_i=190066738X

and Linda Allen's:

http://www.amazon.com/101-Jumping-Exercises-Horse-Rider/dp/0715324055/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254222787&sr=8-1

Jolie_
Sep. 29, 2009, 01:13 PM
I agree with the 101 jumping exercises, I use it often. Used it last night in fact for a canter cavelletti exercise - bounce with cavelletti's, one stride to pole, one stride to bounce cavelletti's. Do in both directions, our right lead was much more problematic to keep even.

Hilary
Sep. 29, 2009, 01:57 PM
Another one I got out of Anne Kursinski's book can keep you busy for while. And you need 2 jumps, three if you want to get fancy without moving one of them.

Set 2 sets of standards 60 feet apart with a pole on the ground at each one.

Practice cantering between the poles and experiment with the number of strides you can get - 4, 5, 6, 7??

Now set one of the fences as a small vertical - my horse is going Training so I set this exercise at 2'9" or 3' but it works for greenies at 18-24" as well.

Going back and forth jump to pole, pole to jump, then add the second jump. You can stay with each level until you're comfortable, but the end result is that you've got 2 fences, 60 feet apart, and you practice trotting in, trotting out, canter in, canter out, canter in, trot out. Halt in the middle a few times. Try to get 4 strides, then get 5. Back to 4 etc.

To make it a bit harder the third fence is 60 feet away but on a slight curve. Mine is skinny just to make it harder.

mjrtango93
Sep. 29, 2009, 04:10 PM
If your trying to ad some spook factor then you can throw coolers, sweathshirts, jackets, (and our favorite) plastic bags with a bit of sand in them on the pole. Tarps work well too, just not in the wind!

forestergirl99
Sep. 29, 2009, 05:12 PM
If your trying to ad some spook factor then you can throw coolers, sweathshirts, jackets, (and our favorite) plastic bags with a bit of sand in them on the pole. Tarps work well too, just not in the wind!

I've done a tarp before. This was actually a milestone in his confidence. He refused it the first two times, and I had to basically beat him over it, but after he realized that it was a better idea to just go over it, and that it wasn't going to eat him, his confidence got a real boost.