PDA

View Full Version : Show Name Help?

Coppers mom
Sep. 29, 2009, 12:33 AM
Usually, I don't really have a problem with whatever name a horse comes with, but the little guy we got this weekend has just an awful name: I Ma Easy Dude Too. I mean, seriously, haha! We were going to let the lesson kids help name him, but, well, it's a bunch of tween girls, and their names aren't much better.

He's an Appendix QH (stout, warmbloody looking chestnut with a big head and blaze) who was previously working at third level before his rider went to college, and then did reining with her little sister. I think it'd be cool to have a name that reflects how versatile he is.

He's probably not going to be doing anything exciting, just little schooling shows with the kids. We would just use his barn name (Bosco), but I adore him, so he may do a recognized show or two with me. He's handsome, but he's not fancy, at all, so I'm having a hard time finding something that would suit him. Any ideas?

Equa
Sep. 29, 2009, 12:50 AM
Just call him Bosco Too, or Bosco 2 or Bosco II.

Eclectic Horseman
Sep. 29, 2009, 10:51 AM
Blue Collar Dude

SouthernComfortMax
Sep. 29, 2009, 10:53 AM
I think a Southern name would be cute...I have a Shire/TB X who I call my Redneck Warmblood (That's right!! I called my draft cross a warmblood! Please don't hunt me down with pitchforks, I am not comparing him to anyone's impeccably bred Dutch Warmblood or the like!) But I went through several names before deciding on Southern Comfort. Rebel Moon, Amarillo Sky, Jack Daniels, Pabst Blue Ribbon...Something like that would be cute but I don't know if you want to name him after an alcholic beverage since kids are going to be showing him ;)

SouthernComfortMax
Sep. 29, 2009, 10:55 AM
Blue Collar Dude

That is too cute!!!

kookicat
Sep. 29, 2009, 11:07 AM
You could take a look on my site ;)

Char
Sep. 29, 2009, 12:29 PM
If he's that versitile, how 'bout "Jack Of All Trades"? Is that one used too much?

Sorry, new to the 'show name' game. :lol:

Phaxxton
Sep. 29, 2009, 01:38 PM
Why not use Versatile as his show name?

kookicat
Sep. 29, 2009, 02:12 PM
Why not use Versatile as his show name?

I really like that! :D

coloredhorse
Sep. 29, 2009, 02:13 PM
I think a Southern name would be cute...I have a Shire/TB X who I call my Redneck Warmblood

I'm afraid a Shire/TB is not a Redneck Warmblood, m'dear. A Redneck Warmblood is a TWH/Paint cross, thank you very much.

To the OP: If you like Bosco, what's wrong with that as a show name? Years ago, I knew a guy whose lovely QH was registered (and shown) as "Bill." How that happened in the AQHA world of wacky names, I'll never know! :lol:

rabicon
Sep. 29, 2009, 03:05 PM
Southern Comfort
Bustin Out
versatility
With Ease
versatilis (Latin)
For your Enjoyment
Tactical
Fair Warning
Twisting Fate

hunter-eventer-hunter
Sep. 29, 2009, 03:36 PM
You could go with SoCo...(i.e. southern comfort with soda, please)

Boomer
Sep. 29, 2009, 04:12 PM
Well, as long as we're on alcohol names...

when I was a kid (uh-hem, a while ago) I showed an appendix QH who's show name was "Straight Bourbon". He was a 16h chestnut with a blaze and a great horse.

Eclectic Horseman
Sep. 29, 2009, 04:16 PM
Well, as long as we're on alcohol names...

when I was a kid (uh-hem, a while ago) I showed an appendix QH who's show name was "Straight Bourbon". He was a 16h chestnut with a blaze and a great horse.

That's funny. I had a horse named "Whiskey Sour" when I was a kid. He was a chestnut QH, too.

Eclectic Horseman
Sep. 30, 2009, 10:23 AM
Thought of another good show name--

Working Class Hero

SouthernComfortMax
Sep. 30, 2009, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=coloredhorse;4407819]I'm afraid a Shire/TB is not a Redneck Warmblood, m'dear. A Redneck Warmblood is a TWH/Paint cross, thank you very much.

He is actually a very nice horse...I just call him that because the lady I got him from used to ride him down a major highway and tie him up the the handicapped sign at Waffle House while they ate!! She was definately a redneck! :winkgrin:

paintlady
Sep. 30, 2009, 12:07 PM
Personally, I'd stick with the registered name for showing purposes - regardless of how stupid it is. You can call him whatever you want at the barn.

coloredhorse
Sep. 30, 2009, 04:38 PM
He is actually a very nice horse...I just call him that because the lady I got him from used to ride him down a major highway and tie him up the the handicapped sign at Waffle House while they ate!! She was definately a redneck! :winkgrin:

:lol::lol:I'll bet that was quite a sight! Now, my Redneck Warmblood (and yes, I entered that as her breed on a couple of entry forms!) would not stand for any such nonsense. Herself would expect to enter the Waffle House and have a belgian waffle (extra whipped cream, please) and some orange juice.

Coppers mom
Sep. 30, 2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks guys! I'll let the girls pick, but I kind of like Southern comfort for him.

And, because I rode him again yesterday and have decided that I just luff him, here are pictures of sweet Bosco :D

Confo: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2551854&id=113131752529

Look at his little face!!: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2551854&id=113131752529#/photo.php?pid=2551855&id=113131752529

kookicat
Sep. 30, 2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks guys! I'll let the girls pick, but I kind of like Southern comfort for him.

And, because I rode him again yesterday and have decided that I just luff him, here are pictures of sweet Bosco :D

Confo: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2551854&id=113131752529

Look at his little face!!: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2551854&id=113131752529#/photo.php?pid=2551855&id=113131752529

First thing that came into my head looking at him was 'A Good Scotch'. He's a cutie pie.

slc2
Sep. 30, 2009, 07:55 PM
Double Scotch

Boomer
Oct. 2, 2009, 09:14 AM
Double Scotch

That's cute!

jumpsalot
Mar. 2, 2010, 10:54 AM
With the AQHA recognizing Dressage, you should show him under his registered name - no matter how bad it is. You can get arards & rewards for his good scores. ; )

Coppers mom
Mar. 2, 2010, 12:43 PM
I was actually thinking of this the other day! We ended up just showing him as "Bosco". Bossman says it means something in Spanish, I don't remember what though.

ETA: I should post some more pictures of him, I can't believe how much he's changed in just a few months. His body has gone from chunky western pony to looking like a real dressage horse, and I really regret saying he wasn't fancy. I have never seen a horse's gaits change so much with fitness! :eek:

Quest52
Mar. 2, 2010, 01:14 PM
Twelve Trick Pony

Bosco BBC ("Bosco" was originally a red headed puppet that had a show on the BBC in like the 70s)

Bosco's Magic Door (same thing... from the show)

Pony Express ( I know.. not a pony)

Bop to the Top (reminds me of kids boppin' around)

Frequent Flyer

Anything But Ordinary

Velvet
Mar. 3, 2010, 12:09 AM
I used to know someone who named horses by taking out a globe, spinning it and then picking the name (or one nearby) that their finger landed on. They came up with some really great names. (BTW, if the name they landed on really sucked, they'd have a "do over." ;) )

Sancudo
Mar. 3, 2010, 12:58 AM
I was actually thinking of this the other day! We ended up just showing him as "Bosco". Bossman says it means something in Spanish, I don't remember what though.

ETA: I should post some more pictures of him, I can't believe how much he's changed in just a few months. His body has gone from chunky western pony to looking like a real dressage horse, and I really regret saying he wasn't fancy. I have never seen a horse's gaits change so much with fitness! :eek:

Post more! Are you going to show him anytime soon? He's a cool dude, and I want to see him in a test!