PDA

View Full Version : I Want Revenge

europa
Sep. 28, 2009, 03:02 PM
What happened to my KD horse? After they scratched him what happened to him? He is off the radar.

ThisTooShallPass
Sep. 28, 2009, 03:39 PM
He was my favorite too!

Barnfairy
Sep. 28, 2009, 04:04 PM
Well if the seriousness of the injury to his RF sesamoidean ligaments (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2009/May/05/I-Want-Revenge-injury-career-threatening.aspx) which caused him to be scratched the morning of the Derby isn't enough to keep him off the track for a good long time, the hot mess his connections are entangled in certainly is.

Owners IEAH Stables and David Lanzman are suing each other (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/51684/ieah-says-i-want-revenge-injury-not-disclosed), and in the meantime, trainer Jeff Mullins hasn't been paid (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/51983/mullins-claims-i-want-revenge-bills-unpaid).

Even if he were sound, which at this point I'd tend to doubt, the legal troubles around his connections stand in his way of making a comeback.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 28, 2009, 04:12 PM
Posted back in May 2009 (http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showpost.php?p=4075123&postcount=601) - the DRF suggested that he was going to miss the BC this year for sure vs. career ending. However, that was based upon a lot of optimism and speculation.

I agree with Barnfairy's comments that extenuating circumstances are there to make this difficult for a variety of reasons.

Calico
Sep. 28, 2009, 04:26 PM
Owners IEAH Stables and David Lanzman are suing each other (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/51684/ieah-says-i-want-revenge-injury-not-disclosed), and in the meantime, trainer Jeff Mullins hasn't been paid (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/51983/mullins-claims-i-want-revenge-bills-unpaid).

Lanzman named I Want Revenge's little half-brother "Dontsellmetofelons"

:lol:

DickHertz
Sep. 28, 2009, 04:55 PM

WOW !!! I kind of like this Lanzman fellow.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 28, 2009, 05:50 PM
As an aside, what people have forgotten is that IEAH inspected Rachel Alexandra in 2008, but she failed the vet because of a bone chip in her left front ankle; they returned again with another offer but purportedly that rebuke of her the first time was enough to get the pound sand second time around from her owners.

Rubyfree
Sep. 28, 2009, 07:11 PM
As an aside, what people have forgotten is that IEAH inspected Rachel Alexandra in 2008, but she failed the vet because of a bone chip in her left front ankle; they returned again with another offer but purportedly that rebuke of her the first time was enough to get the pound sand second time around from her owners.

And thank the stars for that.

ThisTooShallPass
Sep. 28, 2009, 11:52 PM

HYSTERICAL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glimmerglass
Oct. 5, 2009, 08:20 PM
From today's New York Times 10-6-09 "Lawsuit Sheds Light on Use of Legal Medications in Horses" (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/sports/06horse.html?_r=3&emc=eta1)

excerpt

IEAH Stables, which owns 50 percent of the horse, asserts that I Want Revenge was ailing as early as April 7 and that the co-owner David Lanzman failed to disclose the injuries to them. Lawyers for Lanzman deny the charge and say an injury to a ligament in I Want Revenge’s right front ankle was discovered for the first time on the day of the Derby.

On two occasions, veterinarians have testified, I Want Revenge’s ankle was injected with what amounted to new transmission fluid. The second time was just four days before the Derby and was done at the request of his trainer, Jeff Mullins.

I Want Revenge, meanwhile, is convalescing at a farm outside Louisville, Ky. It is doubtful that he will ever return to the racetrack. This lawsuit, rather than a Derby victory, may end up being his greatest legacy.

IEAH, Mullins and a horse with dubious injections ... I'm just shocked .... what are the odds?

ThisTooShallPass
Oct. 5, 2009, 10:22 PM
"was injected with what amounted to new transmission fluid"

Not hysterical.

Artful
Oct. 5, 2009, 11:20 PM
"was injected with what amounted to new transmission fluid"

Not hysterical.

I don't think it was actually automotive transmission fluid.
I'm guessing it was hyaluronic acid or some such thing, and the author was making an analogy.

Of course, with the cobra venom, and God-knows-what-else is sometimes injected, I could be wrong!

Blinkers On
Oct. 6, 2009, 12:27 AM
He might have a rep as a chemist, but in this instance, I believe HA and cort wa done. IEAH had a vet ... uh vet the horse if their vet missed something, it's on them and a moot point that is the whole idea behind the PPE

Barnfairy
Oct. 6, 2009, 01:40 PM
I don't think it was actually automotive transmission fluid.
I'm guessing it was hyaluronic acid or some such thing, and the author was making an analogy.
Yes, that was my take on that too, "transmission fluid" being something of metaphor with alarmist qualities.

It is stated within the article that I Want Revenge was injected with hyaluronic acid and cortisone, the usual suspects. Not that that should be taken lightly.

justalittlex
Oct. 6, 2009, 07:45 PM
Hyaluronic acid is better known by trade name "Legend."

tuxtin
Oct. 6, 2009, 09:22 PM
the article actually has a link to two vet bills http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/sports/20091003-racing-document.pdf

Glimmerglass
Dec. 12, 2010, 02:42 PM
Another comeback in the works: DRF 12-10-10 "I Want Revenge may use allowance as prep for Donn Handicap" (http://drf.com/news/i-want-revenge-may-use-allowance-prep-donn-handicap)

After returning [in early 2010] from a 15-month layoff with third-place finishes in the Grade 2 Suburban Handicap and Grade 3 Philip Iselin Stakes, I Want Revenge disappeared again.

He returned to the work tab on Nov. 10 and has breezed five times in the last month. Mike Iavarone, head of IEAH Stables which owns I Want Revenge, said he’s hoping to get an allowance race into the horse at the end of December as a prep for the Donn Handicap at Gulfstream Park on Feb. 5.

“He’s doing great,” Iavarone said. “I think we got every little chink out of him. He’s the best he’s ever been.”

Iavarone said in hindsight running I Want Revenge back off a long layoff in the Suburban, where he finished third behind Haynesfield, was not the best idea.

ThisTooShallPass
Feb. 4, 2011, 07:36 PM
I Want Revenge is entered to run race #10, Saturday (2/5/11), 1 1/8 miles at Gulf Stream.

I still love this horse. Perhaps one day when they are through with him, he can be my pasture ornament. :)

Glimmerglass
Feb. 4, 2011, 09:07 PM
I Want Revenge is entered to run race #10, Saturday (2/5/11), 1 1/8 miles at Gulf Stream.

Which is the aforementioned Grade 1 Donn Handicap ;)

If Giant Oak fires like he did before in the Clark Handicap then at a nice price I think he could take the win. Square Eddie is in the field too but I'm not convinced he's back - the marvels of science can only repair so much. Who know maybe he'll do everything that Lava Man's comeback couldn't.

Morning Line, the Zito trainee, is now owned by Sheikh Rashid with the goal to send him to Dubai. Is this the first Sheikh owned horse with Zito?

Minor stat: Over the last three years trainer Nick Zito is 3-for-55 with horses running in graded stakes races in their second start after a layoff.

mintano
Feb. 4, 2011, 10:01 PM
So much for easing him into it huh?

Third Glance
Feb. 5, 2011, 12:03 AM

Morning Line, the Zito trainee, is now owned by Sheikh Rashid with the goal to send him to Dubai. Is this the first Sheikh owned horse with Zito?

Don't know, but Fly Down is owned by a Saudi prince. Most people seem to assume he'll end up overseas too -- although I haven't seen anything definite on that.

CVPeg
Feb. 5, 2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the heads up!

Minor stat: Over the last three years trainer Nick Zito is 3-for-55 with horses running in graded stakes races in their second start after a layoff.

Yes, but not a bad idea to have place or show $ on him!

ThisTooShallPass
Feb. 5, 2011, 05:45 PM
4th by a half a length. 2nd & 3rd were close.

Well positioned thru out. I had vague hope for him on the far turns. The hope remained coming down the stretch. And face it, he was beaten by his betters.

Giant Oak took it nicely with a strong close.

Better luck next time. :yes:

danceronice
Feb. 5, 2011, 08:10 PM
He did not disgrace himself, that's certain. 2nd-3rd-4th were all fighting hard but Giant Oak came on hard, they weren't going to get him especially after dueling each other.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 5, 2011, 11:32 PM
If Giant Oak fires like he did before in the Clark Handicap then at a nice price I think he could take the win.

Bingo. Square Eddie and IWR as I expected both off the board.

Florida Fan
Feb. 6, 2011, 11:58 AM
Spent the day at Gulfstream, saw "our horse" in person. He looked absolutely fabulous.....and raced gamely the whole way. Although Giant Oak won, and quite well done, IWR looked in no stress before or after the race. Maybe a bit short, but looked "fit to fight"

ThisTooShallPass
Feb. 6, 2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the in person update Florida Fan. :)

Did you take any picts?

Third Glance
Feb. 6, 2011, 01:36 PM
As a member of Giant Oak Nation, I am so very proud of the big "knucklehead" (as his trainer has been known to call him -- affectionately, mostly). :D He seems finally to have figured out that it's okay to get in front of the whole herd and stay in front. ;-)

More seriously, the get of Giant's Causeway often seem to mature v-e-r-y slowly, physically and mentally. So kudos to GO's connections for sticking with him.

I also thought Morning Line ran a superb race -- lots of heart and talent in that boy.

Florida Fan
Feb. 8, 2011, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the in person update Florida Fan. :)

Did you take any picts?

Sorry, no pics.:no:

Glimmerglass
May. 20, 2011, 12:57 PM
In case it was missed I Want Revenge raced yesterday (Wed May 19, 2011) at Belmont in a stakes race, but an odd one.

Three Coins Up Stakes (Race 3) for $60k - pdf chart (http://equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/BEL051911USA3.pdf) - originally on the turf but taken off.

With the switch all 7 starters scratched and only those MTO entries (main track only) AE got in. So I want Revenge was in.

He took 2nd after fading near the wire.

MintHillFarm
May. 21, 2011, 10:41 AM
I watched the race live and it just looked like he tired at the end. Maybe he doesn't want to go that long next time, on grass or not...and the track while labeled good, seemed heavy to me...