PDA

View Full Version : Flax vs Psyllium for Sand Clearing

EAY
Sep. 28, 2009, 11:11 AM
My vet recently did a fecal parasite check on my mare, and though she didn't find any parasites she did see quite a bit of sand and suggested that I use some type of sand clearing supplement. I noticed that Omega Horseshine (flax) is advertised as an alternative to psyllium for preventing sand colic and that it actually has more fiber than psyllium.

Does flax seed work as well as psyillium or would I be better off sticking with a product (e.g. Sand Clear) that is designed specifically for this purpose? The farm where she's boarded does not have particularly sandy soil, so we're not quite sure how she ingested it and I'm hoping that once we clear it out it will not be an ongoing problem.

chelsealaurenmurphy
Sep. 28, 2009, 12:41 PM
i'm not sure about the flax, but i use generic metamucil for sand clearing purposes. works just fine and it's like $5 for a big tub of it.

ThoroughbredFancy
Sep. 28, 2009, 12:46 PM
I have my guy on Omega Horseshine and his skin and coat are just wonderful. I can't tell you much about it helping with sand though since he doesn't really get any amount in his system that would make me want supplement for it.

You could try the OHS since it says it's an alternative to psyllium and then do a fecal to see the results. Determining sand in the manure can be done at home if one is brave enough. ;)

Hampton Bay
Sep. 28, 2009, 05:37 PM
Why not just feed more forage? It's better for clearing sand anyway. Google sand colic and look for the study done by UofF.

CarolinaGirl
Sep. 28, 2009, 05:46 PM
We're in the lowlands of SC and are VERY sandy. Our horses get one week of Sand Clear a month. Have had the vet tell me about a colic surgery they did where they literally cleared out a muck bucket full of sand from a horse down here!
Don't you have to feed like a cup of Metamucil a day for 7 days? It seems at that amount it's not any cheaper than the bucket of Sand Clear.

chelsealaurenmurphy
Sep. 28, 2009, 09:51 PM
We're in the lowlands of SC and are VERY sandy. Our horses get one week of Sand Clear a month. Have had the vet tell me about a colic surgery they did where they literally cleared out a muck bucket full of sand from a horse down here!
Don't you have to feed like a cup of Metamucil a day for 7 days? It seems at that amount it's not any cheaper than the bucket of Sand Clear.

it's about $5 a month using the generic. i live in sc, too lol so we do it for a week straight every month.

equineartworks
Sep. 29, 2009, 08:20 AM
I feed Horseshine everyday to all 5 horses. I do floats every month to check for sand since we have had so much rain and they pull grass up by the roots, especially the ponies.

The last floats were clean and with all the other benefits of Horseshine it just makes sense to me to feed it every day. :)

EAY
Sep. 29, 2009, 09:23 AM
If I start giving my mare Horseshine, do I need to worry about overdoing the copper and zinc since she is already getting SmartHoof and six pounds of Purina Ultium a day, or do they just excrete the extra minerals that their bodies aren't able to utilize?

Phaxxton
Sep. 29, 2009, 09:28 AM
Is there really enough flax in Horseshine to help with sand?

To the OP, I would probably do a purge first (Sand Clear or Metamucil for a week), since your vet recommended it and then think about some type of sand clearing maintenance -- either daily or one week per month.

paintmom
Nov. 6, 2009, 07:31 PM
This is a late reply but I use SandTrap from HorseTech. It is psyllium and flaxseed with added probiotics. I have been using it for years with no sand colic issues. I really like the added probiotics.

PennyChrome
Nov. 7, 2009, 03:46 PM
This is a bit off topic, but a really simple & free way to check for sand is "The Bucket Test" If you drop manure in a bucket of water, let it sit 24 hours, pour off the poo-water and see how much sand is in the bottom of the bucket!

cloudyandcallie
Nov. 7, 2009, 04:11 PM
If you buy the 50 pound container of Equi-Aid, you save a lot of money per horse per month, it used to cost about $10 a month per horse but has gone up some now. I've bought the wal-mart metamucil, and it's more than $5 a month. I use Equi-Aid for sand clearing and omegahorseshine for hooves. The sand in the low country and coastal GA is on the grass, both in dry weather and after it rains and sticks on the grass.

Pookah
Nov. 7, 2009, 05:53 PM
I just asked a vet the same question, and she recommended using the Sand-Clear to specifically address the sand issue, and then using Omega Horseshine on an ongoing basis as a general supplement if I wanted.

EAY
Nov. 7, 2009, 07:08 PM
I did a 7-day psyllium purge and have added the Horseshine as a daily supplement. I'm about to do a poop test, so we'll see if it's working. We don't have a big sand problem around here so I'm hoping not to have to do a monthly purge.