PDA

View Full Version : Doda Boots?

TrakEventer
Sep. 28, 2009, 09:31 AM
Anyone have experience using Doda boots? Do you feel that the horses jump better behind? They were explained to me this past weekend as being a "pressure" boot that pushes gently on acupressure points to ensure the horse jumps better behind. Any thoughts, experiences, opinions yay or nay?

raave05
Sep. 28, 2009, 10:28 AM
you might want to try the h/j board for this as the folks over there have a lot of experience. i've heard they are pretty effective, however they are a little contentious, and if i remember correctly, they are illegal in fei competitions.

pinkroyal
Sep. 28, 2009, 12:48 PM
Dodas are generally used for horses that might occasionally get a little lazy behind(ie, that horse that catches the rail with his hind legs every now and then). Most people I know have had great results with them- in showjumping, just to clarify..not on cross country. However, they are definitely considered a gimmick..they don't fix the problem over the long term and many horses seem to become immune to their effect after awhile. Overall, I give them a "yay."

TrakEventer
Sep. 28, 2009, 02:44 PM
Good to know, though I know for a fact that they are not considered FEI illegal as many pairs were weighed this past weekend without incidence. They are only considered illegal if they have been after market altered to be weighted at more than 500 g per boot, however unaltered, they are very lightweight.

Firefox
Sep. 28, 2009, 08:33 PM
My niece used them and had great success and I have tried them on my guy and didnt feel much change.

Minstral
Sep. 29, 2009, 10:33 AM
I've had great success with Doda boots!!! They helped my horse understand how to "finish" his jump while attempting larger show jumps. I only use them at competitions as their effectiveness may be lost if used to often. They;ve also helped in the long run as now, when i jump at home, my horses have become SO much better behind.
A great training tool, and a great help in competition.

Two thumbs up!

jumpXrails
Sep. 29, 2009, 01:46 PM
Love them. Legal in FEI, used correctly are very helpful.

Janet
Sep. 29, 2009, 03:25 PM
Love them. Legal in FEI, used correctly are very helpful.
They may be FEI legal, but they do not appear to be USDA (US Department of Agriculture) legal.

So far, the USDA has only been checking at the gaited shows, but you never know when they will decide to turn to H/J/Ev.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_wel...aining2004.pdf (http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/downloads/hp/hpatraining2004.pdf)
scroll down to page 23

Specific Prohibitions:
�� ...
�� Boots or collars weighing more than 6 ounces, except for soft rubber or leather bell boots used for protective purposes.
�� ....
�� Boots or collars with protrusions or swellings, or rigid, rough, or sharp edges or seams....
which would seem to ban the Doda boots too.