PDA

View Full Version : Should a XC course look like an Eq course?

Rescue_Rider9
Sep. 28, 2009, 09:14 AM
So i am training for IHSA and i have been told i have a very "eventer" jumping and riding seat. I half seat through XC and in stadium so i get that, but im not sure how different my jumping seat is from regular "hunt/eq" seat. I tend to not give as big of a release going XC (big enough fo my horse. i dont catch here in the mouth) but in stadium i really give her her head because she isnt as excited... anyway my question is should my xc course look likeim riding and equatation round?

FlightCheck
Sep. 28, 2009, 09:27 AM
In a word, no.

Good form, yes - but effectiveness and safety outweigh posed equitation.

But please get off your horse's back when not on an approach (one of my pet peeves).

Rescue_Rider9
Sep. 28, 2009, 09:35 AM
I half seat when not approaching a fence, so im not on my horses back.

bornfreenowexpensive
Sep. 28, 2009, 10:32 AM
It depends....a rider with a balanced position should be able to do well in both.

When an eq person says you have a "eventery" position (not said in a positive manner)....it often means that you are riding a bit defensively in a situation where that is not needed (i.e. you do not need to take a safety seat when jumping a ordinary stadium course on level ground). It is also sometimes used to describe someone who is less polished but may still be effective. Lower back or shoulders rounded etc.

A really good xc round CAN look like an eq round....a good eq rider shouldn't look posed or perched either...trouble with xc is the ground isn't level...and sh$t is more likely to happen....so you need to be in a effective balance to deal.

Often I found it more noticeable in the flat classes....event riders would ride more like dressage riders....and for equitation on the flat that isn't what they are looking for.

IMO (having gone to a school with a top IHSA team) Most good event riders did very well in the IHSA...they were very good at effectively dealing with the catch rides and it wasn't too difficult to add a bit more polish to their style. Good luck!

LisaB
Sep. 28, 2009, 10:43 AM
I've seen a rated eq riders do x-c and its gorgeous. Absolutely flawless. Well balanced, cadenced, etc.
Now the schooling/b/c rated eq riders ride COMPLETELY different than what I've observed. They physically couldn't get around an x-c course.

Janet
Sep. 28, 2009, 10:44 AM
Biggest difference seems to be in LANDING from a jump. In hunt seat eq you generally stay in 2 point, off the horse's back, for at least 2 strides after landing. In Eventing, we tend to "land" sooner.

That would be my first bet as to what they mean.

Rescue_Rider9
Sep. 28, 2009, 03:26 PM
Well my first IHSA show is this weekend! I will fill ya'll in as to how I do!!

enjoytheride
Sep. 28, 2009, 04:46 PM
The eventers playing at hunters ride with more drive, more contact, less of a 2 point, less release, less fold. They sit at the base of the fence or sit down in the tack too early on the landing side. The whole thing about equitation is showing that you are a quiet rider who lets her horse do the work. Not that you are driving a reluctant beast toward a 4 foot tall drop into water followed by a skinny.