PDA

View Full Version : Was there a photographer at Flora Lea?

Tasker
Sep. 28, 2009, 07:05 AM
The title pretty much sums it up! :)

Highflyer
Sep. 28, 2009, 09:21 AM
I didn't see one--but I hope I'm wrong!

Tasker
Sep. 28, 2009, 03:54 PM
:sigh: That's what I was afraid of...the rain kept arriving whenever I went to ride, so our camera stayed in the truck. Bummer...

retreadeventer
Sep. 28, 2009, 05:55 PM
It was really a nice event tho, despite the rain occasionally.How did you do, Tasker?
I had a great day!

Tasker
Sep. 28, 2009, 08:18 PM
I had an AWESOME time!!!!! :D And am most definitely going to keep on eventing for the foreseeable future!!! :yes:

Kitty and I have been focused on working solely on resurrecting my jumping skills...so our dressage was less than stellar. That being said, we were double clear in Stadium and Cross Country and motored home in 4:11 in the Open Novice division, so not fast enough to get a speeding ticket but not pokey either. We finished third overall. :)

I have not given up on my FEI dressage career by any means but it is really, really fun to gallop and jump. Kitty makes the whole jumping experience really fun and as she is a point and shoot with plenty of confidence - well, I almost feel like we're ready to move up to Training. :D

How did you do?

retreadeventer
Sep. 28, 2009, 09:25 PM
We had a so so dressage test after a great warmup - he gets tense and there goes the back - but a new judge with lots of great comments. Stadium I made a stupid error on the first line trying to get to a fence in 3 and a third strides instead of four...duh.. and had a rail. But rest ok. And XC finally I made the damn time and galloped at everything. Oh and I did the prelim ditch and upbank and the black flag option corner.Training level. So we ended third - could not beat Nick, darn him, he's so good!

PnkPanthr
Sep. 28, 2009, 09:34 PM
I am so glad that you guys had a great time!

Retread, I was the fence judge at the corner. You and Rugby looked great!

retreadeventer
Sep. 29, 2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks!
Did you see him do the prelim ditch and bank?

PnkPanthr
Sep. 29, 2009, 01:30 PM
haha I turned around and saw someone jumping both and when you got closer I was like Hey, thats Holly! :lol:

He looked totally fine with the idea. Like ditch? No problem Mom, I gotcha. :)

Flying Hippotamus
Sep. 30, 2009, 11:48 AM
PnkPanthr - No photographer then?

Hey this was a really great event! So much improved from last year! I made a point of tracking down your TD and telling him. Scoring was lightning fast! I loved the new fences and the course had a really nice flow. So glad you got rid of that fence that was BN 3 a couple times. That really vertical thing in the fence line. I almost didn't enter because of that one!

Hey I did a really dumb thing that I totally should know better. On stadium the footing was wet so you had to make careful turns. So I messed up the last turn to the red panel. He drops his shoulder and I just couldn't get it back. All I could hear was shoes banging and I thought, no I'm going to circle and get a good approach. Dah! As soon as I turned away I remembered. I'm going to console myself with the thought that he probably would have had a rail if I just threw him at the fence. Still made the stadium time but not the x-c. We walk the water and he still sabotaged that. The fence judge was laughing at me because I was telling him he was such a baby and he probably looked like one.

PnkPanthr
Sep. 30, 2009, 01:09 PM
I don't think there was a photographer, I think with all the stuff that was going on the week before, it was a phone call that was forgotten.

Congrats to all and thank you for all of the positive comments. We tried our hardest to make the courses look good, and tried to manage with the crazy amount of rain that we got the night before and periodically through the day. Thanks guys!

HillaryH
Sep. 30, 2009, 01:53 PM
I thought the T course rode really well this year, too. And I would especially like to thank all the volunteers who obviously moved not only the whole SJ course but all the warm-up jumps also so that those of us going late in the day had the best footing possible. That was a lot of work but I noticed and appreciated it!

SnwWhteXEventr
Sep. 30, 2009, 08:57 PM
These are really great comments to get, this is wonderful, thank you guys for letting us know that you enjoyed all the effort.

retreadeventer
Sep. 30, 2009, 09:32 PM
There was something uniquely whimsical about having Jennie Brannigan, Ryan Wood, Buck Davidson, Wendy Lewis, Danny Warrington....all warming up fancy young horses, then jumping stadium, then walking around together waiting for the jump judges. Then, here they came, after having a briefing in the indoor, I think, walking thru the mud and water, dragging plastic folding chairs to traipse out into the fields and take up their stations so that the big time riders could go out and around the cross-country. It was beautiful, made you feel all this was for us, competitors. I saw two little girls, one with pink rubber boots and one with blue rubber boots, dragging their chairs back through the mud, (with Mom I think) and wished I had my camera! It was so cute!

SnwWhteXEventr
Oct. 1, 2009, 11:36 PM
hahah yup, they were two of my students. One of the little girls missed her friends birthday party because she wanted to come and help her mom fence judge.

retreadeventer
Oct. 2, 2009, 09:05 AM
Kevin Baumgardner, president of the USEA, wrote a really beautiful piece on this, this unique feeling that an event gives to us - I wish it were required reading of every eventer. It was the President's Letter in the US Eventing magazine - I think summer issue.

These kids, and their mom, and the chairs, and the farm - this makes this sport for me. No matter what happens and where you finish. It's like a special moment and you had to be there to understand, and the fun part is, WE ALL understand because we are eventers!

This doesn't happen everywhere. I've been to a few events this summer where that special feeling was not there - where an atmosphere of business and money-making prevailed rather than sport.

PnkPanthr
Oct. 2, 2009, 01:12 PM
Thank you so much Holly. You have no idea how much this means to us. :)

kiwifruit
Oct. 3, 2009, 09:14 AM
I love Flora Lea! So glad to see it put on great events. Ryan Wood has been riding my horse for the last two months to get him solid at novice for me and this was the first event I actually had a chance to see him compete him! Although it was a sloppy day, I really enjoy the event. Ryan has been working extra hard getting my guy solid in dressage and it paid off with a second in dressage in the ON division! He then went clear jumping which put him in the win catagory! It was a great day despite the weather. I like that they do a modifided training/prelim division. Hoping to eventually get to that point in a year or two as long as I can find the buttons Ryan installed in my horse!