PDA

View Full Version : Rider Fall rule questions

joharavhf
Sep. 27, 2009, 06:19 PM
So....if a rider falls off ON COURSE, between fences....is this an elimination? Or can the rider just get back on and go?

How about falling off in warm-up? Would they be eliminated if someone saw it?

Thanks!

Janet
Sep. 27, 2009, 06:27 PM
If you fall off on cross country, and it is not RELATED to a fence, and you are not "apparently injured" you can remount and continue without penalty.

If you fall off on the Show Jumping course, whether or not related to a fence, you are eliminated.

If you fall off in dressage, you can remount and continue.

If you fall off in warm up and are not "apparently injured" you can continue.

If you fall and are "apparently injured" you need to be checked out by the EMTs, and can only continue if they say it is OK.

devcubber
Sep. 28, 2009, 10:44 PM
If you fall off on cross country, and it is not RELATED to a fence, and you are not "apparently injured" you can remount and continue without penalty.

If you fall off on the Show Jumping course, whether or not related to a fence, you are eliminated.

If you fall off in dressage, you can remount and continue.

If you fall off in warm up and are not "apparently injured" you can continue.

If you fall and are "apparently injured" you need to be checked out by the EMTs, and can only continue if they say it is OK.

That is the handiest "cheat guide to falling" EVER Janet....I am so printing that and posting it in all my steward's clipboards next year for my HT. Thank you x 1000000000!!:D

Divine Comedy
Sep. 28, 2009, 11:46 PM
Just to add to that, the FEI has instituted a new rule, effective July 1, 2009:

"1.2 Falls
Fall of athlete and/or horse
on Cross Country course = elimination (1 July 2009)"

FEI 2009 Rules for Eventing, page 44, under Article 532.

So under FEI rules, if you fall off anywhere on XC, you are eliminated, unlike at horse trials. I only know this because they made a specific point of it at Maui Jim. The previous rule was:

"1.2 Falls
Fall of athlete and/or horse at an obstacle = elimination (1 July 2009)"

tle
Sep. 29, 2009, 08:53 AM
Just to add to that, the FEI has instituted a new rule, effective July 1, 2009:

"1.2 Falls
Fall of athlete and/or horse
on Cross Country course = elimination (1 July 2009)"

FEI 2009 Rules for Eventing, page 44, under Article 532.

So under FEI rules, if you fall off anywhere on XC, you are eliminated, unlike at horse trials. I only know this because they made a specific point of it at Maui Jim. The previous rule was:

"1.2 Falls
Fall of athlete and/or horse at an obstacle = elimination (1 July 2009)"

Which personally I find assinine. I have had a rough jump and voluntarily dismounted to check her legs... then got back on and continued. Why should that encure elimination?

TrakEventer
Sep. 29, 2009, 09:22 AM
Under FEI rules you still may VOLUNTARILY dismount to check legs, tack, equipment, etc without elimination. However, if you INvoluntarily dismount at any point, you are indeed eliminated.

LisaB
Sep. 29, 2009, 09:28 AM
And that's the FEI, not usea.
Hey Janet, I already know about 1 and 2. Go ahead and ask me how ;)
My horse spooked at another fence when we were galloping x-c at training level. I hit the deck. Poor jj didn't know what the rules were either. I know if I was prelim, then I would have to walk the walk of shame but heck if I knew what the current usea rules are. So she called it in and I continued. With some whopping time penalities.