PDA

View Full Version : trailering issues

forestergirl99
Sep. 27, 2009, 02:20 PM
So my horse has a weird trailering issue. He loads great. All you have to do is walk in the trailer(3 horse slant), and he'll just follow you right in. Even when he did a step up for the first time he just smelled it, and hopped right in. However, when it is time to unload, he tends to want to run backwards out of the trailer. It's not every time, but it's mainly when he's been in the trailer for a while. Part of the problem is that he hasn't had much trailering experience, and the more I've trailered him, the better he's gotten. I was just wondering if anyone else had any tips on how to help fix this problem.

Long Spot
Sep. 27, 2009, 03:55 PM
Spend some time loading him in the front slot of the 3 horse slant and make him turn towards you to the left and walk him out forwards. Some of them take a bit to get used to the idea. Some catch on right away. But once I get them turning quietly, I've not had one run out when going forward and not back.

I've got one that just needs to always ride in the front two slots for that very reason. She'll run out if we back out. But if I turn her, she walks out like the lady she is.