PDA

View Full Version : ?? Best stirrup leathers for jumping ??

lwk
Sep. 26, 2009, 06:27 PM
I need to replace the leathers on my jumping saddle. What are the toughest, least likely to stretch, stirrup leathers?

I've never had the nylon lined leathers but it seems like the stitching might not last.

Dressage.For.Life.
Sep. 26, 2009, 06:49 PM
I have Prestige leathers on both of my saddles (dressage & jumping). They're high quality and the leather is very soft so there is minimal damage to the saddle.

forestergirl99
Sep. 26, 2009, 07:09 PM
I also have the Prestige leathers. I got them free :D (when I bought my $2500 the only thing that would fit my horse Prestige saddle:sadsmile::mad:) I really like them though. My saddle doesn't have a single mark on it from the leathers because they are so soft.

The only annoying thing is that it isn't easy to punch holes in them because of the nylon, and due to the fact that I'm apparently a freak with uneven legs, this is needed. However, i found a technique!!!!!! yay! haha. You take a leather punch and punch through the leather in the same spot on both sides of the leathers(can be tricky!!), and then take a pointy object like scissors with a pointy end and gently work it though the nylon. Works like a charm. :D

bornfreenowexpensive
Sep. 26, 2009, 07:12 PM
Another thumbs up for the Prestige. These:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/prestige-stirrup-leathers/p/X1-0612/cn/90/

Have held up really well, no bulk under your leg and they look really nice. I have them on my jump and dressage saddle as well.

ETA: these are nylon centered with no-bulk buckles.

Dressage.For.Life.
Sep. 26, 2009, 10:10 PM
Prestige also makes "dressage leathers" which are like Wintec and Bates' "webbers" so there's even less under your leg. I have those on my jumping saddle.

Late
Sep. 26, 2009, 10:33 PM
I absolutely love my Nunn Finer nylon-centered leathers - I did have one pair re-stitched after 3-4 years of hard use, but have owned at least 3 pair now (just for use on different saddles/different lengths) and the only reason I don't still have the original pair is because they appear to have walked off... :uhoh:

love the 1/2" holes, roller buckles, and overall quality. If I had to buy another pair of leathers they'd definitely be nylon-centered - I don't trust plain ones after hearing stories about brand new leathers breaking!

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Finer_Nylon_Center_Leathers_p/0142%20%28b%29.htm

toeknee
Sep. 26, 2009, 11:13 PM
I absolutely love my Nunn Finer nylon-centered leathers - I did have one pair re-stitched after 3-4 years of hard use, but have owned at least 3 pair now (just for use on different saddles/different lengths) and the only reason I don't still have the original pair is because they appear to have walked off... :uhoh:

love the 1/2" holes, roller buckles, and overall quality. If I had to buy another pair of leathers they'd definitely be nylon-centered - I don't trust plain ones after hearing stories about brand new leathers breaking!

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Finer_Nylon_Center_Leathers_p/0142%20%28b%29.htm

ditto

Sudi's Girl
Sep. 27, 2009, 10:41 AM
I also have the Prestige leathers. I got them free :D (when I bought my $2500 the only thing that would fit my horse Prestige saddle:sadsmile::mad:) I really like them though. My saddle doesn't have a single mark on it from the leathers because they are so soft.

Ditto on this 100% :) hehe
Now I'm saving up to get them for my dressage saddle! :)

CarolinaGirl
Sep. 27, 2009, 01:47 PM
I have pessoa lined leathers.. although mine are quite a few years old and don't have the metal at the buckle end. Love them though. I also get the jr size leathers (even though I'm 5'7"). If I get unlined leathers in the "adult size" I end up having to punch a bunch of holes and cutting the ends because they get too long. I believe my lined leathers are jr's size too though...

ThirdCharm
Sep. 27, 2009, 02:00 PM
I use the nunn finer nylon-lined stirrup leathers. They come with half-inch holes already punched, and even better they come in a variety of lengths (usually I have to cut my leathers cuz I'm short), two widths and three colors. And they are reasonably priced (around $70).

Jennifer

jn4jenny
Sep. 27, 2009, 02:40 PM
A question about the Nunn Finers: is anyone using those on a calfskin saddle? I know many folks who have them and love them, but I've got an Amerigo with that soft Pinerolo leather and I don't want to screw it up.

titansrunfarm
Sep. 27, 2009, 02:59 PM

The only annoying thing is that it isn't easy to punch holes in them because of the nylon, and due to the fact that I'm apparently a freak with uneven legs, this is needed. However, i found a technique!!!!!! yay! haha. You take a leather punch and punch through the leather in the same spot on both sides of the leathers(can be tricky!!), and then take a pointy object like scissors with a pointy end and gently work it though the nylon. Works like a charm. :D

Hint: Use a soldering iron to carefully burn through the hole that way the nylon does not fray.

ThirdCharm
Sep. 27, 2009, 04:11 PM
I have a regular Amerigo Deep Dressage saddle and use the nunn finer leathers, never left a scuff mark on it.... dunno about the Pinerolo leather....

Jennifer

jen-s
Sep. 27, 2009, 09:12 PM
I LOVE my leathers by Gary Mundy. Do a search and you'll find lots of feedback from fellow COTHers.