PDA

View Full Version : Update on "sticking it out with green OTTB" with videos!

Meredith Clark
Sep. 26, 2009, 11:24 AM
At the beginning of the summer I was having major issues with my new OTTB I had gotten as a companion for my horse Jay after my riding horse had suddenly passed away.

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=208493

I was still very hung up on the death of Shorty and I was only able to focus on the flaws of the new horse and my displeasure in having to start from scratch with a new horse.

I promised to give him the summer not only to give me time, but to put more training so if I did want to rehome him he'd have a better chance of a good home.

I decided to take it VERY slowly with him, giving me a chance to get to know him and him plenty of time to grow. I decided to do self care with him so I saw him and took care of him everyday and we went to every Fair Hill X-country schooling even when we couldn't jump yet!

I also hooked up with a great trainer in this area and have been taking lessons and we have decided to compete our first Pee-Wee event on Oct 4 :)

This was me and Juice jumping a baby flower box last night:
Prepare to be impressed! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dli4_9SWLDs) :lol:

(can you tell I haven't done real canter work with a horse in 6 months..we're both trying to get fit at this point!!!)

And these were from his last X-Country schooling when unfortunatly I couldn't ride (damn real job) but a fellow COTHer and great friend took him for me:
Baby Log Pile (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBxykG2Q-Pc)
Baby House (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7jvEhLa_V4)

We're doing the 18 inch with a walk trot dressage test at Olde Hope and I can't wait!

I'm still not totally sure that he's my forever horse but he really is sweet and giving my my confidence back. I'm going to keep him this winter and then see where we are when everything thaws out in the spring :yes:

Thanks for all your support from the beginning on this one!

LexInVA
Sep. 26, 2009, 11:37 AM
Woot woot!

Noctis
Sep. 26, 2009, 12:45 PM
whoohoo! I LIKE him!

SparklePlenty
Sep. 26, 2009, 01:24 PM
Yeahh!!! GO Mere and Juice!! :) :)

I'm happy to see you happy.. does that make sense??? :cool:

Ajierene
Sep. 26, 2009, 04:04 PM
YAY!!!

He looks really good.

Meredith Clark
Sep. 26, 2009, 04:20 PM
Yeahh!!! GO Mere and Juice!! :) :)

I'm happy to see you happy.. does that make sense??? :cool:

Makes sense to me!

I wasn't going to post anything until we were jumping something a bit more.. um.. substantial :lol: But whatever! I'm proud :D

Muleskick
Sep. 26, 2009, 04:42 PM
You go girl!!!

bornfreenowexpensive
Sep. 26, 2009, 05:03 PM
He's really cute. I'd give it even a bit longer (winter sucks for everyone)...you may be surprised with the horse that you have.

missamandarose
Sep. 26, 2009, 05:42 PM
You guys look great!

You're about where I am with my greenie. We went to out first CT a few weeks ago and did 18 inch. He was uhm... quite a bit more exuberant than your boy seems to be, but he ate up XC schooling (we only didnt the CT at "amoeba" since he'd never seen a xc fence before then). He's jumping a lot more confidently today. Big brave OTTB that he is!

GOOD LUCK at your event. I can't wait for another update!

Eventer55
Sep. 26, 2009, 05:44 PM
You look fabulous. . . :yes:

retreadeventer
Sep. 26, 2009, 07:30 PM
Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee? :) ITYS

Meredith Clark
Sep. 26, 2009, 08:05 PM
quite a bit more exuberant than your boy seems to be

OMG Juice is SO "whatever" about life. I don't think he's even ever spooked with me. That's one of the reasons I was so upset when I first started working with him, he really is the perfect horse for me (I don't like anything with too much "go") and he was just getting antsy and tense b/c I was a bundle of nerves on top of him.

The first time I took him to my new trainers she asked if he was Aced, he'd never been in an indoor before and he was falling asleep while I gave her our background.

I'll probably have to wear spurs with him eventually but my leg isn't stable enough yet. I haven't done any consistent riding since my other horse died so we're just now starting a real training program.

Meredith Clark
Sep. 26, 2009, 08:06 PM
Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee? :) ITYS

:yes:

Taking over his care has really helped. Getting to know him better and just spending time with him. I think doing some shows will help too since we'll be together all day long. I'm also going to Out Ride with him at Fair Hill International in Oct. :D

retreadeventer
Sep. 26, 2009, 08:27 PM
Kewl! Won't see ya...stuck in warmup ALL DAY ... got a posse this year tho! (Helpers)