PDA

View Full Version : Wintec Flap Strap Extension?

aurorag16
Sep. 25, 2009, 03:58 PM
I have a Wintec Pro and I love it. However, one of the horses I am riding is a growing Draft X, and the strap right now barely fits. As the big guy keeps growing, I am sure that he will outgrow the flap strap in short order.

I emailed Wintec/Bates and they stated that I should go to a leather place and have one made as they don't offer an extension. I thought it was a little frustrating that they don't offer an accessory like that, considering they sell x-wide saddles designed for wide horses.

Any ideas for a cheap way to resolve this issue? Or, does anyone have a strap they cut off, or are going to cut off that I can use to make an extension?

Help please!

Tilly
Sep. 25, 2009, 05:39 PM
I cut off and throw away the flap straps on my dressage saddles. They irritate me and I've noticed no difference since they've been gone. :yes:

Carol O
Sep. 25, 2009, 07:13 PM
Carefully remove them, but keep them around. If you want to sell later, you may want to reattach them or it can effect the resale value. They really are not necessary. If you want to keep them on, a good saddlemaker could make you an extension.

Good luck!

aurorag16
Sep. 28, 2009, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the advice so far.

I was hoping to keep the flap straps on as I ride other horses that are not as deep in the chest. I really like the strap (for some weird reason) and I was hoping not to have to remove it.

CatOnLap
Sep. 28, 2009, 01:01 PM
easy enough to get an old bridle piece of the same width buckle- or even an old purse strap with a buckle or an old belt of similar width, cut it to the right length, punch some holes in the non buckle end and use it. Most riders have a scrap box of old stuff like that. Also, you can punch a couple more holes in the strap that is there- that's what I did for mine and it gave me a couple more inches at the very end.

johnnysauntie
Sep. 28, 2009, 01:43 PM
A dog collar?

Adelatus
Sep. 28, 2009, 11:55 PM
I had mine shortened when purchased it to fit a pony. When I put it on my warmblood I just use a dog collar with the right width buckle/strap.

NCSue
Sep. 29, 2009, 09:13 AM
Most folks I know simply cut their offs. If you do this and don't like the flaps moving you can get a shoemaker or saddle fitter to sew a loop on the back of the flap so your billet straps can go through it. This way you never have to worry about how deep or wide the horse may be. Also as your saddle ages and gets more used the flaps will lie down quieter and not be so airborne.