PDA

View Full Version : Another Saddle Thread for Nerds...Vega vs Detente vs Trilogy vs Verhan

PennyChrome
Sep. 25, 2009, 02:18 PM
I need a new saddle. I love my Verhan Odyssey, but at 5'4" and 110 lbs, a 17.5" with a 17" flap is too big, and my young horse is growing out of it. I am going to spoil myself, but keep it under 3k. I am looking at about 2500. I want used. I DO like a wider twist, med deep seat, thighblocks. I do not want Foam panelling.

So.....One's I've ridden in that I know I like:
Verhan
Detente
Custom Saddlery
L'Apogee
Black Country
actually most Keiffer's,
Euroriding
Roosli (flaps are soo long though!)
* a big shout out to riding dressage in a Jeffries Flyover, best jumping saddle ever.

That I don't like:
Schleese (though they have lots of Variety, some are better than others), Passier (too shallow seat/narrow twist, even the GG)
Spirig (banana)
County (banana)
JRD (too deep seat)
Stubben (why even put it on, might as well be bareback)
Sommer
and the winner...
Prestige (ick! twist too narrow!)

Based on the above, can I get suggestions for these saddles that I have never sat in but would like to try out & then find used:
Sankey Barracuda
Trilogy (Debbie Special, others?)
Amerigo Vega
Wolfgang Solo
Hulsebos?
Stackhouse & Hennig? (I can dream...)

other suggestions???

Seems like the Vega would be the easiest to find, but will I like it? I have heard tell of a too narrow twist! That's my problem with Prestige! Feels like I'm straddling a 2"x4"! Also sometimes a 17" runs like an 18" which definitely wouldn't work? Experience with this? Does Vega run a true 17"? Would love opinions before I ship one out.

As for my horse, she is the average sporthorse build MW (TBxHanov), and I ride a lot of different horses, so I'm looking for something with a versatile horse fit.

You guys are great for replying to this saddle nerd-out. I think riding is too ethereal for blogging...but oh saddles! Thanks in advance.

Mallard
Sep. 26, 2009, 06:43 PM
I tried the Vega last winter.
It was one of at least a dozen saddles that I tried. I am also petite....5'/105
I also hated Passier and Stubben for the same reaons as you!
However, I ended up with a Schleese JES and the pony & I love, love, love it.

I liked the Vega a lot, even tho it was just a tiny wee bit narrow for me. I like a slightly wider twist.
The flaps were a very good length for me.
Good quality and workmanship.
Knee rolls are not removable.
I'm in Canada and the price was considerably more than $2500....It was on sale for $3500 + taxes.
I had nobody to come fit the Vega....it was just shipped to me in a box for trial. We don't have any local fitters.
For the same price I got a 'demo' JES - also has short flaps- and Schleese rep delivered the saddle and fit it.

slc2
Sep. 26, 2009, 06:52 PM
I love my verhan, but my butt's bigger than yours.

PennyChrome
Sep. 27, 2009, 02:07 PM
Yes, I was training a horse for someone who had a JES Elite and I didn't like it at all. Too narrow of a twist for me. Feel's like I'm so far off the horse's back too.

atlatl
Sep. 27, 2009, 08:18 PM
Good luck finding a Trilogy in your price range. I ride in a Verago and love it, but then petite I ain't. I know 3 people with the Debbie model and they all love it.

PennyChrome
Sep. 29, 2009, 02:02 PM
Good luck finding a Trilogy in your price range. I ride in a Verago and love it, but then petite I ain't. I know 3 people with the Debbie model and they all love it.

The going price for a nice used one seems to be about $2400-2700. I often see them sell at fineusedsaddles.com, and of course, ebay.

I am getting a Detente from Advanced Saddle Fit on trial next week.

Valentina_32926
Oct. 1, 2009, 04:38 PM
All Verhans, except 1 model, are adjustable so your horse should NOT be growing out of it (unless you have the model where the tree can not be adjusted). If the Verhan is OK otherwise buy the next model up and have the tree adjusted to fit the horse - my tree gets adjusted almost once a year and the flocking moved another 1-2 times per year when horses body changes.

PennyChrome
Oct. 3, 2009, 03:59 PM
All Verhans, except 1 model, are adjustable so your horse should NOT be growing out of it (unless you have the model where the tree can not be adjusted). If the Verhan is OK otherwise buy the next model up and have the tree adjusted to fit the horse - my tree gets adjusted almost once a year and the flocking moved another 1-2 times per year when horses body changes.

Right, IF the Verhan fit me properly I would have it adjusted to fit my horse better, unfortunately the saddle is too large for my body.

dressagedevon
Oct. 3, 2009, 05:11 PM
What is the model of Verhan that is not adjustable? I was looking at the odyessy, can that one be adjusted?

PennyChrome
Oct. 5, 2009, 12:59 PM
What is the model of Verhan that is not adjustable? I was looking at the odyessy, can that one be adjusted?

The Hanover model does not have an adjustable tree. I have never sat in it, but it seems much like their other models but with a lower price tag. There are many more used Odyssey's out there, and that's probably a safer bet. Verhan's aren't very common/popular yet, (though I think they're excellent saddles) so they lose about half their value on the used market - so frankly it would be like throwing money away to buy a brand new one. What size are you? Mine is a 17.5" seat x 17" flap with a MW tree. PM me if you're interested.

PennyChrome
Oct. 5, 2009, 02:33 PM
I just tried a Detente Isis 17" - no go. I had ridden in someone's 17.5" and liked it, and thought I would like one if it were just a little smaller to fit me properly, but instead of the cantle coming closer, I just rode up on the pommel rise, and felt even more unsupported behind. Basically my seatbones were riding way in front of the deepest part of the seat, and the pommel was hitting my pubic arch. I felt if I were to ride in the deepest part, I would be behind the motion. The leg hang and flap were nice for me though.

slc2
Oct. 24, 2009, 03:15 AM
Got my little shortie flap verhan toooooo-day!

whoooo hooo! what a sweet saddle!

thatmoody
Oct. 24, 2009, 06:48 AM
It is sweet, isn't it? I was riding in my trainer's Legacy yesterday because I'm going to be showing her horse at the next show, but I discovered that I can't wait to get back into my own Verhan :).

slc2
Oct. 25, 2009, 09:49 AM
The saddles with the thigh block really let you know when your leg position is wrong! I rode in mine for the first time and oh boy do they tell you when you're wrong. Talk about instant behavior modification!

Valentina_32926
Oct. 26, 2009, 11:14 AM
Right, IF the Verhan fit me properly I would have it adjusted to fit my horse better, unfortunately the saddle is too large for my body.

Verhan can change just about anything on their saddles - why not email Bernardo and ask him if the rest fits the horse, or did you mean a 17.5 inch is too large for you? Flaps (per SLC's saddle) can come shorter so I'm betting the saddle could be adjusted for that also, but seat size too large is probably a no go.

PennyChrome
Oct. 26, 2009, 05:31 PM
Right, it's too big for MY body. Way too big.

slc2
Oct. 26, 2009, 06:16 PM
I kind of like a larger saddle size myself, I got my a bit bigger in the seat. With the old passier standard, you could sort of 'pick and choose' where you sat, it really helped a lot, I thought. Not being stuck in one spot is really good. The leather on the seat is so grabby it's not like sitting on a big plate, either.

The buffalo hide is very cool looking. I thought the buffalo hide was very dry when I got it, but it just has a slightly rough surface compared to the other leather, it is not that it is dry. The natural pattern in the buffalo hide is just...it's COOL.