PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge vs Wisdom

slc2
Sep. 25, 2009, 07:28 AM
What's the difference between the two in the dressage journey?:D

Liz Steacie
Sep. 25, 2009, 07:54 AM
Wisdom is the ability to successfully apply knowledge and experience.

Reynard Ridge
Sep. 25, 2009, 08:15 AM
Knowledge hasn't achieved LDA. Wisdom is collecting social security.

Thomas_1
Sep. 25, 2009, 08:47 AM
Grasshopper he say "The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is a knowledge of our own ignorance.”

retreadeventer
Sep. 25, 2009, 08:58 AM
Wisdom = knowledge+experience

cyberbay
Sep. 25, 2009, 09:02 AM
Wisdom.... add in judgment and intuition

hitchinmygetalong
Sep. 25, 2009, 09:04 AM
Knowledge gives you the tools. Wisdom guides you the judgement to use them correctly.

stolensilver
Sep. 25, 2009, 09:10 AM
In times gone by people asked questions and laboured all their lives to find the answers.

Now, with the internet, answers are available in seconds.

Knowledge is reading someone else's answers. Wisdom is knowing which questions you want to find the answers for.

Ajierene
Sep. 25, 2009, 09:13 AM
Knowledge is reading someone else's answers. Wisdom is knowing which questions you want to find the answers for.

Ohh... I like that one!

I like Reynard Ridge's also, though....

egontoast
Sep. 25, 2009, 09:16 AM
Interesting thread for slc to post.:)

The difference between knowledge and wisdom is brilliantly illustrated every day on the internet discussion forums.

We all know people who have consumed mass quantities of knowledge about dressage or anything else but do not have the wisdom to intelligently filter and apply the knowledge in a relevant manner rather than spew out data randomly whenever a key word is uttered. That person may have knowledge in spades but lacks the software to access and apply the knowledge in a useful or even wise way.

There are people who 'talk the talk' , have read all the "Great masters" and relay this information from on high to others but , if they are honest with themselves, they cannot apply it to their own riding.

Wisdom is more than knowledge plus experience. It also involves the intelligence to filter, edit and APPLY the knowledge in a relevant manner.

Wisdom can also involve recognizing when to say nothing.

Ding Dong.

hellerkm
Sep. 25, 2009, 09:18 AM
"Wisdom is what you gain when youth deserts you."~ Richard Thuss

Mary in Area 1
Sep. 25, 2009, 10:56 AM
Knowledge is reading all the stuff on the BB's. Wisdom is the strength to ignore most of it.

Carolinadreamin'
Sep. 25, 2009, 11:11 AM
Interesting. Wisdom is also admitting that all of the knowledge you thought you had (or tried so desperately to make others think you had) isn't worth much of anything. If you don't have that wisdom, other people will quickly figure that out as well and you'll look the fool.

Gloria
Sep. 25, 2009, 11:15 AM
Knowlege is what you get when you'r young. Wisdom is what you get when you are old and wrinkly. Just kidding...:winkgrin:

suzier444
Sep. 25, 2009, 11:22 AM
My take: Knowledge is raw information. Wisdom is the understanding of how and when to apply knowledge, with a larger overall perspective, emotional sensibility, and a sense of purpose. There is also skill, which is the ability to make it happen.

So for dressage:
- knowledge would be knowing the aids for the shoulder-in and knowing what the benefits of the exercise are, in theory
- wisdom would be the emotional sensibility to understand what your horse is telling you that day, the ability to feel what's going on with your horse that day physically, knowing whether the shoulder-in would help or hinder your horse's development on this particular day, having an overall purpose for the exercise and a framework into which the exercise fits, as well as the ability to know by feel how much to ask for and when to call it a day, when to take rest, when to reward, etc. I think love and empathy are big parts of wisdom.
- skill would be the ability to execute the shoulder-in properly.

I would be a much better rider if it weren't for that damn skill part...and the wisdom part...

goeslikestink
Sep. 25, 2009, 01:21 PM
wisdom is an art to listen ----- and expreince is to apply from that you listen from
to improve to encourage to gain knowledge to learn and one cant learn unless it listens or see' s, feels and touch and taste etc wisdom is being in harmony with all things in life and life itself

wisdom comes from knowledge but its how you apply the knowledge you have as to how expreince you are
and the biggest thing anyone can do be it a rider, aworker a partner etc
is be honest - one can not improve if ones not honest and one can not trian a horse if ones not honest with them selves to how much they actually know

spotted mustang
Sep. 25, 2009, 03:01 PM
Wisdom = knowledge+experience

oh, no :) There are plenty of people with knowledge and years of experience who still do things badly.

goeslikestink
Sep. 25, 2009, 07:04 PM
oh, no :) There are plenty of people with knowledge and years of experience who still do things badly.

then it be wise not to go there

Velvet
Sep. 25, 2009, 10:26 PM
Eggie, you always crack me up. I do agree with the knowledge being something you can read in a book and wisdom (specifically in dressage) is having that knowledge anchored to experience successfully training horses and students to the levels and ideas you once read about.

Fixerupper
Sep. 25, 2009, 11:25 PM
data isn't information
information isn't knowledge
knowledge isn't wisdom

there is a whole lot of data and information out there
scant knowledge
precious little wisdom

:yes:

saultgirl
Sep. 26, 2009, 08:46 AM

But I still don't think wisdom = expert dressage rider.

Maybe that's where we get the idea that those who can't do, teach?

in limine
Oct. 4, 2009, 10:23 AM
Good question.

I think knowledge is knowing what to do in a given situation; wisdom is knowing when and how to apply that knowledge.

A rider can gain knowledge, but only when that knowledge is applied at the right time or to the right degree do the desired results get produced.

Take a half-halt at the canter - applying the aids at two different times during the horse's stride will produce two different results - one will help balance the horse and the other will not. And on a given horse, half-halt may need to consist of more leg or hand or seat....

And riding skills are not the same as teaching skills - many top riders have a natural ability to feel and communicate with the horse, but they are unable to extrapolate their knowledge to clearly communicate to a student what needs to happen with their riding and why.

dutchmike
Oct. 4, 2009, 10:41 AM
Knowledge is reading all the stuff on the BB's. Wisdom is the strength to ignore most of it.

Roflmao aint that the truth:D:D

wildswan
Oct. 11, 2009, 01:02 PM
For me, Wisdom = the head (Knowledge) and the Heart working together; i.e., knowledge applied with:
Honesty, Empathy, Acceptance, Respect, and Trust.

kookicat
Oct. 11, 2009, 01:26 PM
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Sorry, couldn't resist. :winkgrin:

I think knowledge is learning as much as you can, and wisdom is knowing how to apply it to your situation.

Alagirl
Oct. 11, 2009, 01:48 PM
LOL, knowledge is knowing what you can do, wisdome is knowing when to walk away.

Trevelyan96
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:19 PM
Knowledge is data. Wisdom is common sense application, and the ability to use knowledge and experince to sometimes craft a creative solution to an unusual problem. To me, a wise person is the one who quietly brings out the best in others, horse and human.

I also think it is much easier to demonstrate wisdom in situations where one is not personally and emotionally involved with the situation. And its easier to recognize than to define.