PDA

View Full Version : how to make tall boots less slippery

forestergirl99
Sep. 24, 2009, 08:15 PM
I have the Ariat Challenges, and I need something to help them be a little less slippery, but not too tacky. I'm thinking about conditioning them with my Passier Lederbalsam because that stuff makes my saddle really tacky. I can barely move my booty! :lol: Has anyone used Sadl-Tite? Good? Bad?

Also, these boots aren't new. They are already broken in, so that isn't an issue.

vbunny
Sep. 24, 2009, 08:23 PM
Try it and see. Saddle tite sort of works. I have a pair of those and mine get plenty tacky when they get a little damp, sweat or water.

feetofclay1678
Sep. 24, 2009, 09:07 PM
I always use Saddle-Tite when I havent ridden in tall boots for awhile(do most of my training in paddock boots and half chaps). Helps majorly, and doesnt leave a residue on your boots, saddle, etc.

luise
Sep. 24, 2009, 09:52 PM
Saddle-tite. Love it!

Ja Da Dee
Sep. 25, 2009, 10:52 AM
Rub a stick of glycerine soap on the calves, your leg will stick like glue.

clivers
Sep. 25, 2009, 12:28 PM
There is a german spray called "Sporty Haft Spray" (who knows what that means!!!) that comes in an orange aerosol can. You can sometimes find it at higher end tack stores. I find it's super grippy, but doesn't leave the "gunk" on your boots/saddle that saddle-tite does.
Here's a link. I swear - this stuff is AWESOME!!! http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VTO&Product_Code=SH&Category_Code=STBL

Sparky Boy
Sep. 25, 2009, 12:47 PM
There is a german spray called "Sporty Haft Spray" (who knows what that means!!!) that comes in an orange aerosol can. You can sometimes find it at higher end tack stores. I find it's super grippy, but doesn't leave the "gunk" on your boots/saddle that saddle-tite does.
Here's a link. I swear - this stuff is AWESOME!!! http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VTO&Product_Code=SH&Category_Code=STBL

I LOVE this SPRAY!!! It's awesome. Don't leave home without it! :D

Mach Two
Sep. 25, 2009, 03:14 PM
Certainly all the products mentioned will do fine, but if you DO condition the boots, use Vogel boot creme or a similar product only. You do not want to break down the parts of the boots that need to remain rigid, like the tops, and saddle soap and conditioners tend to take off the "sizing" that keeps a boot stiff in the top. Concentrate the conditioner on the ankle wrinkles only.

Daatje
Sep. 25, 2009, 03:21 PM
Saddle-tite and Sporty Haft Spray.

I have both in my trailer and I love 'em. Saddle-tite does leave more of a residue on your boots/saddle than Sporty Haft, but both add good grip without being too sticky. I'd used either one in a heart beat when a little extra no-slip-grip is required. :)

Equestryn
Sep. 25, 2009, 03:36 PM
I was always told to never "clean" the inside of the calf of the boot with soap, just condition it. We always allowed sweat and gunk to build up there and that worked well. After I purchased a new pair of boots, I used Saddle tite and it was AMAZING. I love it.

snoopy
Sep. 26, 2009, 08:28 AM

Is VTO a high end tack shop? Who would have thunk it?!:winkgrin:

clivers
Sep. 26, 2009, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=snoopy;4401341]Is VTO a high end tack shop? Who would have thunk it?!:winkgrin:[/QUOTE

lol, I always kindof thought of VTO as the working eventer's online tack store, not higher end per se!
Truth is I just googled the stuff and VTO was the first place to show up. Here in Canukistan it's only really available at a few nicer tack stores, but perhaps it is less of a rarity in the US?

jen-s
Sep. 27, 2009, 11:06 PM
I've always been told to be careful where you apply conditioner, etc and to make sure that it's solely on the inside as it can prevent your boots from having a good shine when they are polished. If you do condition them, I'd be careful as you apply it and rub it in/off.

HorseOfColor
Sep. 28, 2009, 05:57 PM
Is VTO a high end tack shop? Who would have thunk it?!:winkgrin:

Ouch...