PDA

View Full Version : Referral Wanted - Suspensory Issue

tlw
Sep. 24, 2009, 06:09 PM
My mare has come up with some severe suspensory problems (mostly where the ligament goes into the sesamoid bone) on both front ankles (confirmed by MRI). We got a platelet injection and one course of shockwave immediately on both ankles. Now I guess its just lots of time off and a slow rehab.

Here's my question: we'd like a vet with serious eventing experience to give us a consult on the prognosis and rehab schedule. Our vet is super but his experience is mostly with race horses and not jumping horses. Kent Allen comes to mind. Anyone else out there?

My mare is 15 and has 4 intermediates and tons of prelims (actually English novices) under her belt. We were moving up to prelim this fall. I'm trying to figure out whether at her age she has a realistic chance to come back and be competitive at training and possibly prelim after her rehab. She has been super, won lots of ribbons (including PHR national championships) and generally been the love of my life (don't worry, my wife is well aware of this) so I don't want to risk her well being. I just don't have a very good handle on the success rate for recovery from something like this. All advice would be welcome. Thanks.

GotSpots
Sep. 24, 2009, 06:12 PM
If you're in/near NoVa, Kent Allen is the no-brainer choice or his colleague Susan Johns. Both out of VEI, both excellent, top of the line, work with a ton of eventers. If you're considering a surgical approach, Nat White at Morven has done alot of suspensory surgeries and advised on rehab. Further afield (but still east coast), Christiana Ober, Brendan Furlong are both fantastic.

tlw
Sep. 24, 2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks GotSpots. I guess I should have said that we are looking for a "paper review;" that is, reviewing the applicable MRI scan pictures, radiologist's report and then, based on their knowledge of this type of injury and experience with event horses, give us an idea of the likely hood of my mare being able to compete again without hurting herself. And, helping with a rehab plan (i.e., how long off, how to come back, etc.). It's all very traumatic and I just don't feel like I have a good handle on things.

FairWeather
Sep. 24, 2009, 07:25 PM
Kevin Keane in Pennsylvania

ica7059
Sep. 24, 2009, 08:11 PM
I would second Kevin Keane, he's incredibly good with lameness issues

joiedevie99
Sep. 24, 2009, 08:24 PM
Peter Blauner in PA is an advanced eventer and a qualified FEI vet for eventing. Check out his website: www.whatsupdocvmd.com

KBG Eventer
Sep. 24, 2009, 08:25 PM
Chris Newton at Rood and Riddle!

asterix
Sep. 24, 2009, 09:28 PM
Second GotSpots' referrals. I had a horse with bilateral suspensory tears (hind) and Nat White did his surgery, and Kent surpervised his rehab. He's sound and going now (although not yet competing due to TOTALLY unrelated issues...like being kicked in the field...)...
they told me he could return to his previous level (preliminary) based on their experience.

McVillesMom
Sep. 24, 2009, 09:55 PM
Dr. Allen does do consults, and his practice has an excellent reputation. I would recommend them highly for something like this.

lstevenson
Sep. 24, 2009, 10:00 PM
Dr. Allen does do consults, and his practice has an excellent reputation. I would recommend them highly for something like this.

Yep, definitely the best of the best.

AKB
Sep. 24, 2009, 10:04 PM
Nat White at Morven Park in Leesburg, VA is excellent. He gave us a very good and practical plan for rehabbing our horse after suspensory lesions, as well as an accurate prediction of his prognosis.

Lori B
Sep. 24, 2009, 10:09 PM
My mare was extensively and painstakingly examined and evaluated by Dr. Jennifer Barrett at Equine Medical Center in Leesburg, VA just this past Friday for left front suspensory desmitis. Since we are still following her orders (2 months of rest and then re-evaluate) I can't say whether she has succeeded in helping us, but I was very impressed by her thoroughness and intelligence.

tlw
Sep. 24, 2009, 10:29 PM
Great recommendations all. Thanks everybody and please keep your fingers crossed for my girl.

Meredith Clark
Sep. 24, 2009, 11:09 PM
Dr Kent Allen and Dr Johns both worked on my event horse with kissing spines (didn't know that was the issue when I took him there)

They were very professional, helpful, and I didn't feel like I was getting ripped off.

Also Dr Johns sat on the phone with me when I cried about his diagnoses.. that's gotta count for something! :lol:

RiverBendPol
Sep. 25, 2009, 03:30 PM
Dr. Mike Davis
New England Equine Medical and Surgical Center
Dover, NH
603-749-9111
http://www.newenglandequine.com/
The man is brilliant. I'd give him a call before the others on this list. Although I do love Peter :) and don't know Chris Newton.
Best of luck.

vxf111
Sep. 25, 2009, 03:38 PM
Kevin Keane in Pennsylvania

Easily would be my choice. Hands down. No question about it.

I also love Dr. Blauner and think he's a super vet. But for a second opinion on a suspensory issue in an eventing horse-- Dr. Keane. Absolutely. He's a lameness pro. He's an eventer himself. He has great diagnostics. And above all-- he's practical/real. He's going to tell you how it is and what to do and no sugarcoating or wishy-washyness. He's been there many times and he's going to give you an answer.

KSevnter
Sep. 25, 2009, 04:07 PM
Also Dr Johns sat on the phone with me when I cried about his diagnoses.. that's gotta count for something! :lol:

She is such a wonderful vet and person. Both she and Dr. Allen are exceptional at treating and understanding sport horses, particularly upper level event horses.

The same can be said about Dr. Ober and Dr. Furlong.

I would go with either of these practices because they deal almost exclusively with sport horses.

Carol Ames
Sep. 25, 2009, 05:03 PM
n: we'd like a vet with serious eventing experience to give us a consult on the prognosis and rehab schedule. Our vet is super but his experience is mostly with race horses and not jumping horses. Kent Allen is the area vet for event horses!:yes:

Carol Ames
Sep. 25, 2009, 05:08 PM
generally, these problems take a few weeks longer than you plan :yes::sadsmile:.

tlw
Sep. 25, 2009, 05:37 PM
MRI scans, radiologist's report, horse history (including BE and USEA competition records), etc. sent to Kent Allen today. Thanks for taking the time to give recommendations - I'm sure I couldn't have gone wrong with any of them. Now the waiting begins. :(

Carol Ames
Sep. 26, 2009, 11:02 AM
in Keane in Pennsylvania < is he at Delaware Equine?; While living in N. H. I was referred to someone else at Delaware Equine when, the vet I had been using moved away; I believe it s dr. Keene; did he take over patients from another vet there?:confused:

bornfreenowexpensive
Sep. 26, 2009, 05:06 PM
in Keane in Pennsylvania < is he at Delaware Equine?; While living in N. H. I was referred to someone else at Delaware Equine when, the vet I had been using moved away; I believe it s dr. Keene; did he take over patients from another vet there?:confused:

I believe Dr. Keane did work out of Delaware Equine for a time but he has his own practice now. Still in the Unionville PA area most of the time but also down in SC during the winter.

kiwifruit
Sep. 27, 2009, 09:52 AM
I second, third, fouth Kevin Keane in Pennsylvania. I agree that he will not sugercoat things and recommend what is needed to get the job done. Best of luck.

vxf111
Sep. 27, 2009, 06:43 PM
Bornfree is correct. Dr. Keane was at Delaware Equine but now has his own practice-- Sports Medicine Associates of Chester County.

hunter-eventer-hunter
Sep. 28, 2009, 09:50 AM
Chris Newton at Rood and Riddle!

They have so much experience with tendon rehab. I got a great rehab schedule from R&R for a DDFT bow at the fetlock (back leg) from them.

Horse is sound two years later, turn out in normal, and I work her 3-4 times a week.

tlw
Oct. 21, 2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks again for all the great recommendations. Unfortunately, Dr. Allen suspected DSLD, which was just confirmed by a nuchal ligament biopsy. I'm crushed. Anyway, for those of you out there who know my wonderful Cleveland Bay/Eng TB mare, Carolina Knock Out, here is my wholly insufficient tribute to her competitive career. I could never come close to putting into words what she means to me as a partner.

In the brief five years Carrie and I competed together I learned a lifetime of horsemanship. She adjusted from the English climate to that of south Louisiana and experienced Hurricane Katrina and never missed a step. Only two blips appear on her record, both my fault (senior moments I admit). She won 8 of her last 10 horse trials at training level (a 2d and 5th in the other two on her dressage score) and finished 2d in her only prelim/training horse trial. In 2008 she finished all her horse trials on her dressage score and ended up 8th on the USEA's Leaderboard. In our short time together, she won 4 national championships from the Cleveland Bay Horse Society of North America (in versatility and eventing) and twice won its Apple of my Eye award (top CB mare in the country), a USDF all breed award at 3d level and 2 Performance Horse Registry Silver Stirrup national championships in eventing. She also won numerous regional and local awards in both eventing and dressage. Carrie is truly a horse of a lifetime. I will cherish whatever time I have left with her and she will know how much she is loved every moment of every day.

Jazzy Lady
Oct. 21, 2009, 01:34 PM
So sorry for you and your mare.

What a nice tribute to her.

IronwoodFarm
Oct. 21, 2009, 01:44 PM
What a lovely mare. She's not too old to breed. Why not go for a foal with her?

tlw
Oct. 21, 2009, 01:46 PM
IF: Unfortunately, DSLD is thought to be genetically transferred so breeding is out of the question. Believe me, if I could I would!

Donkey
Oct. 21, 2009, 02:18 PM
I am so sorry. She sounds like an amazing horse.

Lori B
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:49 PM
tlw, I am so sorry. She sounds like a wonderful girl. Hugs to you. Suspensory injuries are not any fun at all.