View Full Version : Ponying one who lags behind

Sep. 24, 2009, 03:29 PM
I have ponied a lot of horses in the past on trail with great results. Fast forward 15 years. My perfect pony horse is gone. I am wanting to use my daughters well trained trail horse to pony my 4 year old mule. I tried this once last year and it was not at all encouraging !! These two are buddies and get along great. The mule lagged behind and was obnoxious and intimidated this horse last year. I have done a lot of ground work/ round pen with the mule and am riding him at the walk and he is doing great. So I am wanting to try again. My pony horse is 15.1 and big built , the mule is 16 hands and leaner built but strong none the less. Any one have advice before I try again?

Thanks !!

Sep. 24, 2009, 06:33 PM
My mare often likes to lag behind while being ponied. I think its almost like a game to her. She and my other horse are buddies so there are no issues with that. I like to carry a dressage whip with me and when she starts to fall behind so that I am "pulling" her I will cluck to her and try to get her to come up to me- if it doesnt work, I'll spin around, get behind her and whack her. That works well, usually I only have to do it once the whole ride and then can just cluck to her and she will go faster.

Sep. 24, 2009, 08:17 PM
I use a chain under the chin of the lazy-bones I've got. Wakes him up.

Sep. 26, 2009, 02:50 PM
Why not ride the mule?

Eddy's Mom
Sep. 26, 2009, 08:39 PM
I just ponied (sp??) my 3yr old for the first time today. At first I thought no WAY was this going to work, he was hanging way back and pulling my arm out. So I had my friend who was with me ride right behind him, and when he started lagging behind she pushed him up. It only took two times and he was perfect! In fact, he thought HE should be leading. Silly babies.