PDA

View Full Version : What grain does your event horse eat?

Sparky Boy
Sep. 24, 2009, 10:06 AM
Just curious. :D What grain does your event horse eat and how much do you feed?

bosox
Sep. 24, 2009, 10:14 AM
Blue Seal Vintage Performance LS. LOVE IT

High Fat, Low Starch...really helped w/the one I needed to get weight on...no other brand gave me the results I needed.

(You know what the summer was like) but Little Sox is back to eventing that guy...this fall.

Catalina
Sep. 24, 2009, 10:18 AM
Blue Seal Vintage Performance LS. LOVE IT

:yes: :yes: :yes: Best feed EVER for a hard keeper hot Tb :D. I had Mark on BS Mid-Atlantic 10/8 (which I feed Connor), and he turned into a fire-breathing dragon. I switched him to the VP and he is calm, amenable, quiet, oh, and in really good weight :). I LOVE it!

Sparky Boy
Sep. 24, 2009, 10:24 AM
Well, I have a very EASY keeper, but a lazy one, so I'm looking at trying a different feed. Can't post under the Hunter forum as they all want to make theirs quieter ;)

yellowbritches
Sep. 24, 2009, 10:32 AM
Our easy keepers get Pennfield Cool N Lite and they seem to do very well on it. I have one very big guy on a tiny amount right now (plus a vit/min sup), and he is THRIVING. Very, very easy keeper but is working his way up to being a training level horse, but needs a lot of fitness work to do it. He always seems to have plenty of go, considering how little concentrates he actually gets. I have another big guy, easy keeper type who gets a bit more (way more TB in that guy), and he just looks fantastic and feels fantastic. I have a couple of others on it, including a very hard working pony, and they all just look great and feel great. Very good stuff. Depending on the horse they get anywhere from a couple of cups of that a day to 3 lbs a day.

Our middle of the road horses get Pennfield Performance choice, and our hard keeping and/or hard working horses get Pennfield Ultra Max. My guy is being very slowly weaned onto the Ultra Max from whole oats, hoping he can eat that without skin allergy issues.

sharri13
Sep. 24, 2009, 10:36 AM
Both my guys are on the Vintage Performance LS (low starch). One is a thoroughbred, the other is a Dutch/CSH cross. Neither get much grain and both are Preliminary level horses. They are not hot, or hard to keep weight on. They are supplemented with the Blue Seal Min-A-Vite Lite for minerals and vitamins. I requested a Blue Seal nutritionist weigh what my horses needed, and then cross-examine their mineral and vitamin intake. Between the two feeds, they are getting complete nutrition every day.

CarolinaGirl
Sep. 24, 2009, 10:49 AM
Ours are one Seminole Perform Safe... after having them go brainless on Nutrena Ultra Vitality. It's not what I'd feed them if I had my own place, but they seem do well on it.

bosox
Sep. 24, 2009, 10:53 AM
I'd still look at the BS VP LS. B/c of the LS and time release formula..it works well with the easy keepers too.

Pennfield was going to be my next try if BS didn't work for my guys. Out of the 6--I have 5 on the BS. All seem to be doing very well. Just different amounts for what their level of work is.

Who is this for--Fat man or the little lady?

Sparky Boy
Sep. 24, 2009, 11:09 AM
I'd still look at the BS VP LS. B/c of the LS and time release formula..it works well with the easy keepers too.

Pennfield was going to be my next try if BS didn't work for my guys. Out of the 6--I have 5 on the BS. All seem to be doing very well. Just different amounts for what their level of work is.

Who is this for--Fat man or the little lady?

The mare.

Mach Two
Sep. 24, 2009, 11:36 AM
When I was eventing:
Flipper (Mach Two...1100 lb OTTB/chaser): 3 lb Purina Omelene 100 AM & PM plus 1 lb of Purina Athlete in Fall and winter.
Plus: a hoof suppliment, and a glucosamine/chrondoitin sulfate suppliment, and MSM to carry it.
This was before they were making Ultium and Strategy.

deltawave
Sep. 24, 2009, 11:44 AM
Purina's Enrich 32 ration balancer, 3/4 pound once a day
Rice bran pellets, 1/8 pound once a day
Grass or orchard hay, a multivitamin

Easy keeper. :)

redears
Sep. 24, 2009, 12:17 PM
My barn owner mixes 3/4 oats with 1/4 cracked corn. Works for both my horses

HER
Sep. 24, 2009, 12:19 PM
Purina Ultium and Amplify. I feed alot of it! Horses really shine up and look great on these feeds.

Long Shadow Farm
Sep. 24, 2009, 12:25 PM
Spanky aka his royal tubbyness gets 1 lb of crimped steamed oats and 1 lb of dry shredded beet pulp (soaked of course) twice a day. Plus all the bermuda grass he can eat. He competes at Training level and is starting in at the 3'9" to 4' jumpers. He gets worked about 5 days a week now and is finally starting to look really nice and fit and not a pudgy pony. He is an 8yo QH gelding that weights around 1400lbs.... weighted on scales to confirm that... If he starts to need alittle extra I will probably start to add alittle Purnia Amplify to his feed for the extra fat.

Bobbi

bornfreenowexpensive
Sep. 24, 2009, 01:07 PM
For the guys that need energy....I like Pennfield Enduro. My other harder keeping guys get Pennfiled Fibergized and 12% pellets.

http://www.pennfield.com/equinefeed/specialtyFeeds.cfm

ETA: easy keeping TB mare ate 2lbs of Enduro and 1 lbs 12% pellets 2x a day going to a one star (probably fit enough for a **)....and she was called fatty by a few people (but she really wasn't fat, she is just a rounder shape). Her weight was really good.

scribbles
Sep. 24, 2009, 01:09 PM
Pennfield Fibergized and Triple Crown low starch... it has kept weight on my ulcery gelding, and put weight (and a topline!) on my young mare

CANTEREOIN
Sep. 24, 2009, 01:20 PM
1.25 quarts of beet bulp (no sugar/molasses) soaked... platinum performance 2xday, cup of cocasoya oil (vit e and vit e/selenium)

Horse was high on grain... does much better on this diet. (16.3 H training level horse)

purplnurpl
Sep. 24, 2009, 02:51 PM
beet pulp with glanzen by horse tech. It's just a powder multi vit.
and Tri Amino by Uckele

and I feed only 1 x a day.

24 hour turn out on good grass.

gold2012
Sep. 24, 2009, 02:54 PM
Wow, no one mentioned XTN. We have almost every horse in the barn on it. With some soaked beet pulp. It's a great feed. It doesn't make them too hot, but sure helps with perofrmance. Most of my horses are always in the running with TR3D's most fit awards, and it might be partially this, as they say it helps in recovery time. I dunno, but I know it works amazingly. Skinny horses come in and 3 months later, you can't believe the difference. It's extruded feed, baked, and never had a horse colic on it either. I guess it's easy to digest.

Caroline Weber
Sep. 24, 2009, 04:01 PM
I feed my own horses a bit differently, but every single upper level event barn I've worked in has two core feeds: Signature and Enduro or Fibergized (very similar, but Fibergized is lower carb). Generally, lower-level horses and easy keepers on Signature, the upper level guys on the Enduro. Depending on how difficult it is to maintain weight/sanity, other grains may be used. Rice bran (loose or pelleted) is quite common.

forestergirl99
Sep. 24, 2009, 04:53 PM
I feed my 16.1 Appendix 2 scoops of Purina Ultium with 1/2 cup of flax seed oil. Sometimes he gets an extra 1/2 scoop after I ride him in the evenings, but it's more just a treat. I LOVE this feed. It has a high fat and high protein content, so it can makes horses hot. But as long as you keep riding them, it doesn't make them too hot. If my horse hasn't been ridden in a few days he is pretty hot when I ride him again(i think it's really fun though. :lol:), but if he's getting everyday then he stays nice and calm. Another thing I love about this feed it that it doesn't put a big belly on a horse. It helps them build muscle and fill out. My horse looks gorgeous on this feed! His coat is shiny, and his feet are stronger too. Definitely recommend it.

KBG Eventer
Sep. 24, 2009, 08:36 PM
During April and May, my Paint was competing at Training and got 3.5lbs of Ultium 2x a day.

He had the summer mostly off, and then he just had a tooth removed this week. His Ultium was slowly reduced over the summer, and now he is eating Purina Weight Control, soaked and mashed up. I don't know the weight of that yet but probably 1.5ish lbs 2x a day, unsoaked.

He also gets Suceed, daily Strongid C2X, and Cetyl M.

badawg
Sep. 24, 2009, 10:13 PM
My 6 y/o Appendix mare gets about 4 lbs of Nutrena Safe Choice and 1lb of Nutrena Empower along with some MSM and Flex Force (an HA supp for her joints). She can be a bit of a hard keeper, but she can get dingy if the balance isn't just right. I had her on Triple Crown complete for awhile and while she looked great on it, she was def. too hot on it.

EiRide
Sep. 24, 2009, 11:08 PM
My CB cross mare gets grass or orchard grass hay, no concentrates. Air fern. She has competed Novice, schooling Training, would have been at Training were it not for Life In The Way (not competing this year, missed a few years earlier on for reasons not to do with her). Regardless, she looks at fresh food and gains weight. :-)

My Appendix mare evented to Training level on grass in summer, free choice hay in winter. Now that she is in her late teens she wants a bit of Strategy in middle winter to keep her weight, but not much and she's working but not like she used to do.

OneMoreForTheRoad
Sep. 25, 2009, 12:10 AM
My thoroughbred gets purina ultium, about 16 pounds a day.
and it really really works, beautiful shiny coat, stronger hooves, well defined muscling.
the easy keepers at my barn are on Purina Horseman's edge 10%.
but they are all on about 17 hour a day turn out with really rich green grass or a nice orchard grass hay in the winter.

bosox
Sep. 25, 2009, 07:52 AM
16 lbs? a day? wow, that seems like a lot. That is like a bag every 3 days.

j/w if there isn't another food that you could offer him that could get him the same calorie intake w/o so much volume.

Threeday33
Sep. 25, 2009, 08:10 AM
I have a 12 year old TB is running a CCI** in a few weeks and he gets 8 lbs of Nutrena Safe Choice and 4 cups Nutrena Empower. He is also on Succeed until he is finished competing. He looks the best he has ever looked-shiny coat and good weight-and has not been too hot. The other horses at our barn, a variety of work levels, get Safe Choice and I have to say, both the easy keepers and the not so easy keepers, look terrific.

yellowbritches
Sep. 25, 2009, 08:27 AM
To explain my choice of Ultra Max over Fibergized or Enduro (both of which I think are great). We had two horses choke on the Fibergized within 24 hours of each other recently, which has made us very gunshy of the beet based feeds. Since I had been talking with the KER nutritionist about Vernon, I knew the Ultra Max was very similar in calories to the Fibergized. We debated quite a bit on what to switch to, Enduro or the Ultra Max. We chose the Ultra Max to A) avoid the beet and B) feed something Vernon can hopefully eat, too.

Ja Da Dee
Sep. 25, 2009, 09:50 AM
My very easy keeper gets between 1-2lbs 2x daily of the bulk 12% sweet feed the barn feeds.

Sparky Boy
Sep. 25, 2009, 11:50 AM
I see nobody has mentioned plain ol' oats. Does anyone feed them anymore? I'm going to try adding a cup 2x daily to add some energy. Seems like a simple and cheap solution - if it works ;)

Ishi
Sep. 25, 2009, 12:02 PM
our feed is made for us it's 10% protein and 8% fat. For my DH's Advanced horse, we add oats to that as well. He gets 2 1/2 pounds feed and 2 pounds oats twice a day, free choice hay and out on very good pasture all night. He gets the most. My Prelim horse gets 4 pounds feed twice a day, free choice hay and pasture at night. Both look phenomenal and both are over 16'2 OTTBs.

Here's a questions, what to feed a fat 14 hand pony running Novice who is HOT and needs to quiet down, but does need grain to maintain muscle and be fit enough to carry me around? Right now she's on Pennfield's Signature Plus Pellets which is 10% protein and 3% fat, plus limited hay and pasture. She porks out just looking at grass!

Jleegriffith
Sep. 25, 2009, 01:02 PM
I have a mixture of tb's mostly young ottb's and an older 24 yr tb. Then two mixed breeds who are fatties.

The basis of my feed program is a ration balancer which they all get. Fatties get only 1lb a day (Ishi, maybe an option for you or a lite food?) and Tb's get 2lbs. Then I feed plain whole oats to the rest of the tb's anywhere from 2-4lbs. 24x7 access to pastures that are dragged, cut and rotated. Alfalfa/orchard grass hay for Tb's and timothy for the fatties. I use the cool calories as a fat supplement and have loved the results.

I keep TC senior on hand to mix in to the ration balancer/oats if anybody is picky.

The horses look better than they ever have in terms of muscling and overall body condition. Nobody is hot or silly and the ulcery horses seem content.

yellowbritches
Sep. 25, 2009, 07:07 PM
our feed is made for us it's 10% protein and 8% fat. For my DH's Advanced horse, we add oats to that as well. He gets 2 1/2 pounds feed and 2 pounds oats twice a day, free choice hay and out on very good pasture all night. He gets the most. My Prelim horse gets 4 pounds feed twice a day, free choice hay and pasture at night. Both look phenomenal and both are over 16'2 OTTBs.

Here's a questions, what to feed a fat 14 hand pony running Novice who is HOT and needs to quiet down, but does need grain to maintain muscle and be fit enough to carry me around? Right now she's on Pennfield's Signature Plus Pellets which is 10% protein and 3% fat, plus limited hay and pasture. She porks out just looking at grass!
I would either try the Pennfield Cool n Lite or a ration balancer. Our pony, while not hot necessarily (though plenty go-ey when he feels like it), is insanely fit for the level of competing he does (basically entry level stuff...the pony is ridden A LOT :lol:. His kid does all the stuff we always say kids don't do anymore :yes:). I can feed him 3lbs of Cool n Lite a day, pretty much unlimited hay and medium quality pasture, and he has plenty of calories for her marathon rides but not boil over from being so fit and too well fed. He is a good weight, has a great bloom, and maintains very, very well on that. I will preface all this with the fact that while he IS pony sized (and often pony-like), he is more of a tiny horse than a large pony. It could be because he is so fit, but I never ever worry about him being on grass or getting too fat. He is very similar in needs to our other QH crosses.

The RB would be good if even the CL is too many calories, as it will give her the protein and vit/mins she needs without a bunch of calories. Pennfield has a good one, and there are several others on the market.

wildlifer
Sep. 25, 2009, 07:48 PM
I LOVE SafeChoice for my guy. He is a medium hard keeper and it's the only thing that's maintained his weight steady with shiny coat and great energy. I add Empower when needed for an extra boost.

katie+tru
Sep. 25, 2009, 10:04 PM
Tru gets about 5 -10 lbs. (one/two big coffee cans) of general sweetfeed during the summer when he's worked the most and shown, and in the coldest months. It really just depends on what he's doing. Otherwise he maintains his weight just fine on grass.

Ishi
Sep. 25, 2009, 10:15 PM
The pony is all pony, and I'm hoping to get her broke (ie quiet enough) for her owner to be able to start showing her this winter. Or else she is making the move up to Training with me. She's very fit, very athletic, very talented, but as much as I love riding her and showing her, I really want to have her owner have fun on her!

I tried a RB with her all summer and didn't like the results. I love Pennfields, so I'll look into the Cool and Lite. Thanks for the recommendation!

Revelations
Sep. 25, 2009, 10:34 PM
The pony is all pony, and I'm hoping to get her broke (ie quiet enough) for her owner to be able to start showing her this winter. Or else she is making the move up to Training with me. She's very fit, very athletic, very talented, but as much as I love riding her and showing her, I really want to have her owner have fun on her!

I tried a RB with her all summer and didn't like the results. I love Pennfields, so I'll look into the Cool and Lite. Thanks for the recommendation!

You're ion trouble!!! I'm telling the pony you called her fat!

Toadie's mom
Sep. 25, 2009, 11:20 PM
16 lbs? a day? wow, that seems like a lot. That is like a bag every 3 days.

j/w if there isn't another food that you could offer him that could get him the same calorie intake w/o so much volume.

My sentiments! I just switched to Ultium from Nutrena Energyx (only because the last few bags I got had bugs in it and when I complained I was told, "well , you're the only one buying it", well, duh, then order less!). Anyway, I digress. I only feed 1 1/2 lbs 2xday to my 16.1 hand, big bodied 4yr old Tb. Granted, she's only ridden 4-5 days a week and is training nov. level but that seems mucho excessive! Does the horse not get any hay, or grass? If so, that's not good either. I researched several feeds b4 switching and Ultium is NOT a "complete" feed.

Flipper
Sep. 26, 2009, 06:07 AM
Poulin Grain Performax 10/10 - lots of fat for my big hard-keeper IDSH Training level guy, who gets @ 4 lbs am & pm + loads of timothy hay + Glanzen. He's doing great on that, & I cut him down to 3 lbs am/pm when he's working less. He was on Blue Seal vintage victory for years & that wasn't enough to keep the weight on. I don't think he digested any of the oats in it. Performax comes in pellets or an extruded form that has oats in it.

kt-rose
Sep. 26, 2009, 08:08 AM
I have one of those...he looks at food and gains weight and his favorite thing is to stand still and watch the world...I feed him the Progressive Nutrition Sport Horse -- which has some oats in it -- and if he needs more energy I mix in some oats or barley. Sometimes in the summer, that isn't enough and to wake him up he goes on the Pennfield Granola which has oats and corn and no molasses. He never gets more than about 1 lb twice a day as he just is too effiecient with his meals and would turn into a large beach ball. It really can be just as hard managing the routine for these very laid back horses that are air ferns as the harder keepers just for other reasons.

Sparky Boy
Sep. 26, 2009, 08:20 AM
I have one of those...he looks at food and gains weight and his favorite thing is to stand still and watch the world...I feed him the Progressive Nutrition Sport Horse -- which has some oats in it -- and if he needs more energy I mix in some oats or barley. Sometimes in the summer, that isn't enough and to wake him up he goes on the Pennfield Granola which has oats and corn and no molasses. He never gets more than about 1 lb twice a day as he just is too effiecient with his meals and would turn into a large beach ball. It really can be just as hard managing the routine for these very laid back horses that are air ferns as the harder keepers just for other reasons.

Finally,someone who feels my pain ;). For me, southern states is the most convenient place to get my grain so it's Legends or Triple Crown. I think they carry Ultium now so that may be something to try. I feed 4 qts daily Legends Show and Pleasure. Now adding the Oats. Wonder how long it would take to see a difference, if there is any.