PDA

View Full Version : Groom fees, whats the going rate?

Polish
Sep. 24, 2009, 08:25 AM
Can anyone provide some insight on the going rate for eventing day grooms? Specifically clients with multiple horses at one show... whats fair to charge? We're talking recognized shows, braiding, trimming, turn-out, cool-out all three phases, bandaging, etc in a semi-pro situation.

I'm an experienced groom, have been in the industry, ws exp with advanced level rider, CCI** and CCI*** grooming exp, etc. My rate schedule is set mainly for 1 horse situations but i've been running into the multi-horse scenario lately and am not sure how to charge reasonably.

Also for overnights: per horse/per day?

yellowbritches
Sep. 24, 2009, 10:02 AM
I typically get paid $125 a day by one of our clients to help him at shows. I got $225 this weekend when I helped him with both his horses (but I did a little less since he and I and our trainer were all showing on the same day). I usually Bathe, trim up, braid, clean his tack (if I can get to it before he does...we have vastly different ideas on what clean tack is :lol:), get his boys dressed for the various phases, and taken care of at the end of the day. I also often get them in the trailer in the am and take care of them at home in the evening. I can and do act as a stand in coach, too (especially with his older horse who I know inside and out). Over night shows are similar, depending on just how much I actually do for him.

He is totally capable of taking care of them himself, but he does like that I take care of them like a girl where he takes care of them like a boy (meaning, I go all out, he does just enough ;)). He also knows I'm broke and the extra cash comes in handy.

I think if I did it more for other people, my charges would be similar, and, actually, I think that the $125 is just about what our published rates come out to.

tarheelmd07
Sep. 24, 2009, 10:43 AM
Hmmm...I can see how setting rates for this kind of thing would be difficult...since each additional horse is an equal amount of work, but charging the full rate for each horse could make the total bill pretty steep. Especially if some of the horses are UL horses with more care needs (icing/poulticing/extended cooling out/etc.) than the average lower level horse.

Would you be feeding/mucking out stalls too? If so, is that included in your rate, or is that extra?

Blugal
Sep. 24, 2009, 11:50 AM
Once I was quite experienced, I got between $100-150 per day for up to 6 horses. On the low side if there were 3-4 horses or if I was also riding (and therefore less available), on the high side if there were 6 horses. That included everything - whatever it took, whatever hours etc.

However I often got a course-walk and/or warm-up with my coach included when I was riding.

subk
Sep. 24, 2009, 12:16 PM
Once I was quite experienced, I got between $100-150 per day for up to 6 horses. On the low side if there were 3-4 horses or if I was also riding (and therefore less available), on the high side if there were 6 horses. That included everything - whatever it took, whatever hours etc.
This is interesting. The summers of '82 and '83 I groomed on the H/J circuit and made either $50 plus all expenses a day or $100 a day I paid expenses. It did not include braiding. I made a bunch of money those summers mostly because I never had any hours/days off to spend any of it! $100-$150 a day doesn't sound real great in today's dollars. Are you are getting all travel and other expenses for that?

Blugal
Sep. 24, 2009, 12:29 PM
Good question subk. I had been/was a working student for the same coach for years. So when I was "on my own" so to speak, if I came up for lessons for a week, then groomed at a show, my expenses, including food, were covered (except gas for my own horse). Many times I got to ride one of my coach's horses, whose expenses & entries were also covered.

There was no separate bill for "owners' horses" - I just got paid by the day as described above, and the coach/rider billed the owners as per their contract.

Polish
Sep. 24, 2009, 02:05 PM
It's tricky isn't it! For a day show that's all inclusive i'd braid, groom, tack clean, cool-out, ice, bandage, etc for a flat rate. Same as Blugal... whatever is needed, whatever hours. I'm averaging 12-14 hr days door to door at events. Mid to upper level horses.

For an overnight the rate would include stall set up and clean up, mucking, feeding, hand grazing if needed, braiding and all of the above for a day show.

I usually pack food for day shows, and expenses are covered at overnights.

So if you guys had 1 client with 3-4 horses per show what would you charge per horse/per day? Would you give discounts if they used you alot?

Blugal
Sep. 24, 2009, 02:51 PM
If you're trying to do it contingent on number of horses, I'd suggest a base rate with an additional per-horse rate.

E.g. Base rate: $100 for my time for the day, includes 2 horses. $25 per extra horse above that.