PDA

View Full Version : Middleburg HT this weekend?

inquisitive
Sep. 24, 2009, 07:35 AM
Who else is going? I'll be there N with my gelding. We're also stabling so please come say hi!

Is anyone else disappointed that they are running N stadium right before XC? I was so thrilled to be going to a 2-day and was looking forward to having stadium afterward and actually wearing proper attire :( Poo. Well I'm probably in the minority but I haven't gotten to show much :lol:

Catalina
Sep. 24, 2009, 09:57 AM
I'm going Novice also (our last N before our move up at Morven, gulp). I was actually looking forward to the stadium being after XC too; oh well :).

Catalina
Sep. 25, 2009, 10:55 AM
Hey inquisitive, I believe we are in the same division, but you go waaay before me (I don't do dressage until almost 4:00). Good luck tomorrow :).

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 25, 2009, 02:47 PM
Hey Catalina, good luck!

"My" lurker (yes, I have my very own personal lurker on this board--whom I keep badgering to just be brave and come up with a username and post, already ;)) is also doing Novice at Middleburg, and bumping her horse up to Training at Morven. She's not in your division (her horse is the "novice one"; she's gone Prelim), but I think this HT is a good "final Novice before moving up", since many of the x-country fences are maxed out.

I'm sure you will have a blast and do great (after all, didn't your horse recently "discover his inner DQ"?? :winkgrin: Plus, he's always good x-country, IIRC...:))

Please give us a report afterwards! I may go out and look at the courses tomorrow afternoon after I get back from Wingreen (and will be out there Sunday to watch the lurker go, but won't be able to stay there late enough to cheer you on, unfortunately...)

Good luck to both you and inquisitive!

LexInVA
Sep. 25, 2009, 03:06 PM
Who else is going? I'll be there N with my gelding. We're also stabling so please come say hi!

Only if you promise not to bite. :D

Catalina
Sep. 25, 2009, 03:48 PM
(after all, didn't your horse recently "discover his inner DQ"?? :winkgrin: Plus, he's always good x-country, IIRC...:))

Actually, that was Mark, my other bay boy. Connor is the one going to Middleburg and, unless I ride like a monkey on crack, he usually gets good dressage scores. It's stadium that gets us :mad:. Both boys are moving up to Training at Morven; maybe I will see you there :).

Carol Ames
Sep. 25, 2009, 05:13 PM
Good luck everyone!Go forit!:lol:

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 25, 2009, 08:38 PM
Actually, that was Mark, my other bay boy. Connor is the one going to Middleburg and, unless I ride like a monkey on crack, he usually gets good dressage scores. It's stadium that gets us :mad:. Both boys are moving up to Training at Morven; maybe I will see you there :).

Excellent! :)

I hope I run into you; I'll be there from around noon to around 1:30 on Sunday; if I don't see you, go kick some booty with Connor :D

I'm hoping to get over to Morven at some point that weekend (have a CT at Sandstone Farm with the greenbean on Sunday), but if I can't get there, good luck--and you will love it--it's a very inviting Training Level course (and let's hope for good weather that weekend: for everyone...:))

piaffeprincess98
Sep. 25, 2009, 08:48 PM
I'll be there going novice. Going up early tomorrow to "hang" and ride dressage at around 3.

inquisitive
Sep. 26, 2009, 08:14 PM
Phew, I passed out Fri once we got to the hotel so missed all this. Catalina, I think I know your horse and unfortunately didn't get to see you go but think you're in a great position :winkgrin:

I'm very proud of my boy as he was definitely struggling a bit with the atmosphere. Not sure what's different from his last overnight show but he's been a little bit of a brat :lol: Dressage score actually ended up MUCH better than I expected, so let's just hope I can hold it together tomorrow!

Good luck Catalina and PP98! We're in the big barn on the far right, first stall. He's a bay TB shorty :lol: If I don't get to meet you (or Dr. D), have a blast!

And Lex, no, I don't bite :D

piaffeprincess98
Sep. 27, 2009, 07:24 AM
Ok, so I rode in the rain yesterday. Haven't done that in awhile. I got up there at like, 11 with a 3pm dressage ride so I could hack him around a bit first, then braid, then warm up. It really didn't help. His canter transitions consisted of throwing his head up in the air. He's pretty much gotten over that at home, but he gets so tense at shows that he'll do it. Of course, we had the same judge that we had at Seneca, who had nothing positive to say. I didn't check my score, but I'm guessing it will be near 50.

The first half of the test was under control, then with the free walk, he just loses focus and then canter is awful. I think I'll be sacrificing that movement for awhile until I can gain some control in canter.

I am truly frustrated with him. He has been given every opportunity to have time to chill, and it feels like he's regressing. Our tests are getting worse. He's an OTTB, so I figure this stuff is normal. Can someone offer some words of wisdom? I had a long chat with my coach, and I might seek out a dressage trainer who specializes in TB's for a few lessons.

I'll be off to jump soon. I haven't walked the course yet, but from the dressage ring, it looked nice.

yellowbritches
Sep. 27, 2009, 10:20 AM
Have you had him scoped? A lot of horses are pretty good at home, but the anxiety of showing sets their bellies into revolt, which causes the bad behavior. If he's insured, you can usually get them scoped (that's from your pockets, but it is only a couple hundred dollars), and if he's got ulcers, insurance will pay for the treatment. Otherwise, just treating him and see if their is improvement would be another way of doing it (FrittSkritt is good at finding the deals on UlcerGuard if you aren't a bargain hunter). You can also go the cheaper route and put him on a digestion supplement and/or do the 1/4 tube of UlcerGuard a few days before, during, and after shows. This often helps, but if there is a big issue it isn't going to fix the problem.

If his canter work is the problem, you can also have him looked at by a good lameness vet. Issues in the canter are often the signs of an SI that needs some attention. Is he young? SI problems are a common complaint in young horses developing toplines and learning to use themselves and often SI injections once helps them get past that point of pain related misbehavior, work properly which in turn helps them get stronger and develop a good topline, thus eliminating the sore SI. We've done this with a few younger horses (including Vernon recently), and it has done wonders. And before you say "he's not lame!" I don't think I've ever seen a horse with an SI issue actually lame, they've also just had what a lot of people would consider training issues (problems in the canter, stopping at fences, rushing fences, etc).

He could be worse at shows then at home, too, because he gets tense at shows which might make minor soreness issues worse. Regular massage might help that (I know that when I'm tense, my minor complaints become big complaints).

Just because he's an OTTB does NOT mean he should be naughty or tense. In fact, all three of the TBs we have here who have some race training are quite mellow at shows...two of them are still young, and one is in his first year of competing (and is almost always 1 or 2 after the dressage). There can certainly be a reason why he's naughty other than his life history (there was a reason Vernon was naughty at Surefire...his butt hurt and his skin was on fire!), but you might have to investigate to get to the bottom of it.

Sorry he's being a pain. I hope you can get to the bottom of it!

Ishi
Sep. 27, 2009, 06:14 PM
PP you could bring him over and have Dusty get on him, see what's up. He is WAY to nice a horse for this to be happening, and it's being going on too long huh? I remember you were frustrated this winter when we were all at Loch Moy.

Hope the rest of the HT went better!

Catalina, how did it go? You guys ready for Morven?

Catalina
Sep. 28, 2009, 07:40 AM
Wow, what a wonderful event! Middleburg is so well run and has such a beautiful venue :).

Dressage in the rain was, well, rather wet :lol:. Connor had been a real brat all last week, heavy as all get out and diving through his transistions, so I spent the first 10 minutes of warm up just bending and moving his shoulders. When I picked up the trot, Mr Light was in town :D. He warmed up quite nicely and when we went in the ring, he was fabulous (aside from an initial *SPOOK* at the end of the centerline). I knew I had a good test, but I was quite floored to see we got a 24.7 and were leading our rather large NR division.

So I spent all Saturday night stressing about leaving the rails up and jumping evverything :yes:. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep.

After walking the course, which was very hilly and rode forward- our two weak areas- on Sunday and watching a bunch of rounds, I was even more stressed. My trainer talked me through the course several times and I tried to relax. Warm up was chaotic and it started to rain again. But whan I picked up the reins and Connor responded by lifting his withers, I relaxed a little. He warmed up well and went in the ring and proceeded to jump around clean without touching a thing :D.

Okay, more stress. XC has some real tough questions for Novice, but Connor (aside from a really hard peek at the barrel jump) was a rock star :D :D.

We won our division, and to my complete suprise, we also won the low Novice dressage score of the show. I came home, literally, with a bucket full of prizes :). I am so beyond pleased with my big bay boy :D.

On to Training at Morven, where my goal is to just make it over all the jumps and not throw up!

Inquisitive, congratulations! You had a great outing too :D :D. I wish we could have met up; maybe next time.

piaffeprincess98
Sep. 28, 2009, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the suggestions yellowbritches. He gets massaged every 5 weeks, and just got adjusted with some chiropractic work. I had him scoped in January, no major issues, just a few old scars. I gave him some ulcergard for a two week stint by recommendation from the vet that scoped him. He is now on U7 twice a day just in case. He is 9 btw.

I know some of the issue has to do with the fact that I am basically the only one that rides at home where I keep him. Our boarder is hurt and my mom's horse is recovering from founder. I know it's tough to take him from our little world out to a show. It's hard for him to want to concentrate, but I think at this point, he knows better and is just being a jerk. He's been showing for about 2 years now.

Of course, yesterday his jumping was fabulous.

curlykarot
Sep. 28, 2009, 08:49 AM
Congrats Catalina! You are going to rock the Training at Morven!

Anybody know who the photographer was?

Catalina
Sep. 28, 2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks :). I just want to make it over all the jumps the first time at Morven (oh, and not throw up!).

The photographer was GRC.

ItchyRichie
Sep. 28, 2009, 12:24 PM
I was there!!

This was my 3rd time ever eventing, the first time I rode a horse who is really green and weird about new jumps so I got eliminated at the 4th jump in stadium and the 2nd time I evented I missed a jump XC, so this was the first time I didn't get eliminated haha.

I did novice (on my school's horse). He's sort of hard to ride in dressage (plus I've been doing dressage for less then a year) and I had only ridden him like 4 times before I showed him, so I ended up getting a 40 in dressage, but I went double clear & ended up 8th out of 13, so I was pretty happy =).

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 28, 2009, 02:55 PM
A big congrats to Catalina! :D

And you will be FINE at Morven, really and truly...;)

piaffeprincess98
Sep. 29, 2009, 06:52 AM
Here's a link to my video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR7400eTPds
Obviously didn't include the dressage! The course was a little twisty towards the middle, and he didn't like that! We also took a HUGE one to the chevron. But overall I was pleased.

inquisitive
Sep. 29, 2009, 08:11 AM
Inquisitive, congratulations! You had a great outing too :D :D. I wish we could have met up; maybe next time.

Thanks, you too :)

Saturday was a complete washout, and we were one of the lucky ones that got to do stadium and XC in the rain too!

Sunday Q decided to pull out the cocky bastard attitude :rolleyes: Our warmup for stadium was probably entertaining... or scary. He was the one leaping sideways and forwards and even put in a buck! I usually only jump him once a week in my lesson, but might have to throw in some pole/small jump work another day a week til he curbs his excitement... So I managed to pull it together towards the end of warmup, but then got held up for an extra coursewalk and jump fix. Then a storm rolls in and the announcer talks about potentially holding the course if there's lightning and I'm just like please let me just get this over with :lol: So thought with all this walking we're doing he's relaxed and listening, but no, first jump he drags me past my spot and rams into the rail. That was a total gift (just bounced, no rail down). Reminded him that woah means WOAH, and the rest of the trip was enthusiastic but not too insane. H/J trainer has been helping us a lot with getting him to jump up and over the little jumps instead of just running flat. One or two I failed to ride him well but no rails.

XC was awesome with him, as usual. It's tough to hold him to a N pace so I took a big wide loop around the gravel pile between the last two fences to make sure I wasn't coming in too close to the speed fault time. Arms were like jelly :lol:

We ended up 2nd, right behind Catalina :)

I'll try to get my video up tonight.

Catalina
Sep. 29, 2009, 10:21 AM
It's tough to hold him to a N pace so I took a big wide loop around the gravel pile between the last two fences to make sure I wasn't coming in too close to the speed fault time.

:lol: I did the same exact thing- I'm sure people must have thought I was lost- and we still came in at 3:53 (4:16 was optimum time).

technopony
Sep. 29, 2009, 04:31 PM
Does anyone know if there was a photographer? I thought I saw GRC there, but nothing on the website yet. Forgive me for being impatient ;)

piaffeprincess98
Sep. 29, 2009, 05:47 PM
GRC was there. Not sure if they did all dressage, but I think they shot mine, even though it was raining.