PDA

View Full Version : Why no whips in Championship classes?

mg
Sep. 23, 2009, 08:51 PM
Why is it that whips are not allowed in Championship classes? I don't quite understand why you're allowed to ride in every other show and qualify with them, but not in Championships.

-------------
For reference:

DR120
5. One whip no longer than 47.2 inches (120 cm), including lash may be carried in all classes except USEF/USDF Championships, USEF National Dressage Championships, USEF High Performance Championships, USEF High Performance qualifying and selection trials, andobservation classes. (Exception: Competitors riding sidesaddle may carry a whip no longer than 47.2 inches (120 cm), including lash, in USEF/USDF Championships.) One whip no longer than 47.2 inches (120 cm), including lash may be carried in all qualifying classes (including
NAYRC and NAJC) unless such use is otherwise prohibited by FEI or Federation rules or selection procedures for the classes. An adjustable-length whip may not be carried by a mounted rider. BOD 1/13/08 Effective 12/1/08

DR121
10. The following whips are permitted for schooling only: One whip no longer than 47.2 inches (120 cm), including lash, may be carried by the rider when mounted. One lungeing whip is permitted only when lungeing. There is no restriction on the length of whip permitted for working a horse in hand. One whip no longer than 47.2 inches (120 cm) including lash may be carried in all classes except USEF/USDF Championships, USEF National Dressage Championships, USEF High Performance Championships, USEF High Performance qualifying and selection trials, and observation classes. (Exception: Competitors riding sidesaddle may carry a whip no longer than 47.2 inches (120 cm), including lash, in USEF/USDF Championships.) One whip no longer than 47.2 inches (120 cm), including lash may be carried in all qualifying classes (including NAYRC and NAJC) unless such use is otherwise prohibited by FEI or Federation rules or selection procedures for the classes. An adjustable-length whip may not be carried by a mounted rider. BOD 1/13/08 Effective 12/1/08

Rabbit351w
Sep. 23, 2009, 08:59 PM
I don't know the answer, but whips aren't allowed in stakes classes either.

slc2
Sep. 23, 2009, 10:26 PM
The whip is used to reinforce the aids, and is a training aid.

In the championship classes, the idea is that the rider doesn't need to remind the horse, reinforce his aids, or correct the horse for not reacting to an aid, because the horse is more confirmed and doesn't need that.

mtngirl
Sep. 24, 2009, 12:09 AM
slc: If that is the reason, then why aren't spurs disallowed as well in championship classes?

Ambrey
Sep. 24, 2009, 12:39 AM
Because spurs are used to refine the aids?

Ellie&Werther
Sep. 24, 2009, 01:27 AM
I love the fact that my para dispensation allows that I still can use a whip in championship classes, it is one of the few perks of having a disability.

rabicon
Sep. 24, 2009, 08:41 AM
Agree with slc. They belive at that if the horse can get there it should be schooled enough to not need the whip to perform properly. The spurs are more for the rider I think. I could be wrong but spurs are used more for a stronger leg not for a correction like a whip is.

Fairview Horse Center
Sep. 24, 2009, 08:49 AM
The rule has evolved. Originally, no whips in shows, period. Then whips were allowed in schooling shows, because you were "schooling" for a "real show".

Much fussing later, they began to be allowed in Recognized shows. Personally, I think they should be ok for schooling shows only.

vbunny
Sep. 24, 2009, 07:18 PM
I don't think spurs are for a stronger leg - not once you are actually doing "dressage" as opposed to just trying to get the horse to go. I they are meant to refine the aids.

slc2
Sep. 25, 2009, 07:24 AM
slc: If that is the reason, then why aren't spurs disallowed as well in championship classes?

The question indicates you don't understand the use of the spur in dressage. It isn't for corrections or making a horse go when he is disobedient to the leg.

The spur is so that when you want to ask your horse to do something, you just touch him with the spur, and barely move your leg. It is for refinement.

When a young horse won't go from your leg, you don't put on spurs to fix it, you pick up a whip and take your spurs off. Basic obedience to the leg is not taught with a spur. It is expressly taught WITHOUT the spur. The spurs are only put on later when the horse has learned basic obedience to the leg and the rider is ready and able to control his body and leg sufficiently to even allow him to use spurs correctly.

Plenty of people on this bb don't agree with that and have beaten their chests about it here many times before. But they didn't write the rules; people who believe whip is for training/reinforcing the aids and spurs are for refining and making the leg aids invisible, wrote the rules.

Spurs are a reward to the rider who has demonstrated he can control his position and leg sufficiently to merit him being allowed to have spurs. Remember the phrase, 'winning your spurs'? It is no joke.

When I have had a horse that 'needed spurs' or 'wouldn't tolerate the whip', i took off the spurs, or got them used to the whip. That's usually very easy. Just work them in hand, touch them with the whip and give them a carrot. Amazing how quickly they forget their past traumas.

Ajierene
Sep. 25, 2009, 09:05 AM
Either the whip rule is very recent, or my trainer just always told me whips were not allowed in dressage. What I remember from my first few dressage shows was that whips were allowed in Training level and spurs were not necessary in training level.

First level and above, the horse should at least be obedient enough to not need the whip. The spur was used to refine the aids, so it was not necessary in first level, per se, but mandatory according to the rules. As you progressed up the levels some movements were similar enough that the refinement of the spur made your aids more clear and gave the horse a more clear understanding of what you want them to do (unless they memorize tests like my mare does and think they don't need the aids...)

rabicon
Sep. 25, 2009, 09:10 AM
Okay, maybe I worded wrong about spurs. Its a refinement. When I say stronger leg I don't mean to kick the crap of of them with spurs. Its to use the spur as an aid with least leg movement. :winkgrin: Not to get them to go etc...

slc2
Sep. 25, 2009, 11:51 AM
The spur is different. In the perfect world, it is not used to reinforce the aids. The whip is. That is its only purpose. It is only used after the ordinary aid does not get a response. The spur is used as the 'first aid'.