PDA

View Full Version : Need more saddle advice...narrowed it down to 3!

SouthernComfortMax
Sep. 17, 2009, 12:00 PM
Ok here is the situation. I am looking for a new saddle as the one I have doesn't fit Max or Bellatrix...But I also have a VERY limited budget since we have two horsey girls in our house (me and my daughter) :D I have found two saddles and I am HORRIBLE at making decisions so I thought I might ask for some HELPFUL advice.

Saddle #1: 2009 Wintec Pro dressage 18" used (two months old) $500

Saddle #2: Older (??) Passier Cambria II 19" Used $475

Any thoughts??

Knight's Journey
Sep. 17, 2009, 12:19 PM
The Passier.

Even being older the leather will last longer, hold it's value (look at how much the Wintec depreciated in two months), and be better balanced for your horse and your seat.

Also you can get it reflocked if you need to while the Wintecs usually have CAIR panels which are difficult to work with and I've heard lots of complaints about.

I started out with a Wintec Pro and after ruining my balance I traded it for a no-brand dressage saddle that was sitting unused in a western barn. Best trade I ever made.

SouthernComfortMax
Sep. 17, 2009, 01:04 PM
I was leaning that direction. I wasn't very pleased with the CAIR panels because I have heard horror stories about them. My daughter has the 2009 Pony Pro Dressage and seems to ride really well in it, we chose the flocked panels instead of the CAIR system. But I will have to live with my saddle far longer than she will hers! :)

HollysHobbies
Sep. 17, 2009, 01:19 PM
Can you visit the local consignment tack shop!? Are you near Middleburg? I was so impressed with their saddle selection and good prices when I went up!

I actually rode Bellatrix almost a year ago (if it's the same horse!)--she was a fun ride. ;)

I had an aged Passier for a long time--you can get one for a song. I had the Passier PS Baum. Great saddle if you're on a budget...I saw one at Crawford's tack shop near Charlottesville recently. 19" sounds very big though--is there a reason you're looking at a 19" saddle?

I wouldn't wintec personally.

SouthernComfortMax
Sep. 17, 2009, 01:29 PM
I am actually in Athens GA and I have exhausted all the tack stores around with no luck. I found this one on tacktrader.com. I don't think it would be the same Bellatrix, she is Friesian/PerchX and I actually got her out of someones back yard down my way :) I am a little on the chunky side (happens to the best of us) and I like to have room in my saddle!! ;)

HollysHobbies
Sep. 17, 2009, 01:49 PM
Oh, bummer about the tack shop drought down your way--it seems like used saddles are flooding the market here.

No, not the same BellaTrix--she was a 15-2 hand dutch cross, which is why I asked about the 19" saddle for her! It was such an unusual name, I figured it must be the same horse! Sorry!

I'd still go with passier.

Have you tried a used, older Custom Saddlery dressage saddle?

SouthernComfortMax
Sep. 17, 2009, 01:57 PM
I haven't, no but I do have a good friend who has one...It is an odd name...She was named after the Harry Potter character Bellatrix LaStrange...Suits her big black borouque butt quite well! :)

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Sep. 17, 2009, 02:06 PM
19" is an awfully big seat, that may not help your or your daughter's position. I tried a used saddle that was 18" but that was too big...

SouthernComfortMax
Sep. 17, 2009, 02:15 PM
The 19" saddle is for me...not my daughter. My daughter has a 16" pony dressage saddle.

SouthernComfortMax
Sep. 17, 2009, 02:50 PM
I am 5'10 and wear a size 14/16 so I do need a 19" saddle...I am by no means a small person :)

lwk
Sep. 17, 2009, 02:59 PM
Since they are both used, can you trial them? That's the best way to figure out if either one will work for you.
I have a Wintec Pro as a backup saddle and have had other Wintecs in the past. If they fit your horse and you, they are decent saddles and they are pretty darn indestructible. The Cair works fine for me so far. I have heard some really good things about the new 2009 Wintecs.

SouthernComfortMax
Sep. 17, 2009, 03:48 PM
No trial on either...they are with private parties and they both want to sell the saddles now...Like I said earlier my daughter has a 2009 wintec pony pro and really seems to like it...puts her in a pretty correct seat and is very secure (she is 9)

Petstorejunkie
Sep. 17, 2009, 04:15 PM
I am actually in Athens GA and I have exhausted all the tack stores around with no luck. I found this one on tacktrader.com. I don't think it would be the same Bellatrix, she is Friesian/PerchX and I actually got her out of someones back yard down my way :) I am a little on the chunky side (happens to the best of us) and I like to have room in my saddle!! ;)
take the hour drive to snooty fox in alpharetta. they generally have a good selection, a bit pricey for what you get, but most of what they have is newer. Also you will be walking distance from Atlanta Saddlery. I promise you'll find something that will work for you there, then you can take that knowledge to ebay to find you a steal.

Passier all the way baby! Wintecs in my humblest o humble opinions are giant plastic pieces of crap

SouthernComfortMax
Sep. 17, 2009, 04:32 PM
I am well versed in the art of the Alpharetta Tack migration! :) I have an obsession with shopping and horses so thus I am a certified tack-store-aholic HAHA! I have checked there and they had a really nice Stackhouse....but totally out of my price range. I am more looking to just enjoy my mare...I do take lessons and go to shows, but it is usually local schooling stuff and when I am riding I am usually plodding around out on the trails with friends, so I dont really need anything fancy. I evented for several years and pony clubbed and now my horses are more like my social life than anything else (I know...I am such a horse nerd!) My trainer is trying to steer to me the Passier also...I will probably end up with it...it is a very attractive saddle...I would post pics...but I am not sure how to HA!

SouthernComfortMax
Sep. 23, 2009, 07:45 PM
Ok so I am still having my saddle delima! I am horrible at making decisions but I have decided to just suck it up and spend a little extra and buy a new one so I have narrowed it down to 3 choices that I like equally...help!

Albion SL
Stubben Scandica DL
County Connection

Anyone have any of these or have any opnions either way??

JRG
Sep. 23, 2009, 07:59 PM
Out of these three with fit being equal.

1) Albion..I like the leather better and the quality of the stitching better then County.

2) County..nice leather but didn't like the "fit and finish" of it.

3) Stubben, like the quality...but the leather is too old school stiff.

Just my opinion.

PennyChrome
Sep. 23, 2009, 10:44 PM
Can you get a lunge lesson in each one? I bet then you could decide!

caddym
Sep. 24, 2009, 06:23 AM
The albion - I love mine

luckles
Sep. 24, 2009, 08:25 AM
The Stubben. The quality and ride is unsurpassed. I used to have a County Connection and I would never go back. I think Stubben has a trial promotion for the Biomex saddles which I think you can get on a Scandica. I have a Roxanne and love it.

ADM7040
Sep. 24, 2009, 01:29 PM
SouthernComfortMax, I have sent you a PM.

Hampton Bay
Sep. 24, 2009, 03:03 PM
The Stubben Scandica has a pretty curved tree, which I have not noticed on the County or Albion saddles I have seen. I am betting they would not all fit the same.

That being said, I think I would pick the Albion too. The Stubben was comfy, but I can't imagine it fitting too many horses well. The County leather just feels kinda off to me. The Albion is like riding in a couch.

NJRider
Sep. 24, 2009, 04:40 PM
If you wish to consider future re-sale, then do not pick the Stubben. They are hard to sell, are just not popular as dressage saddles. The quality is excellent, but hard to sell. On the plus side, if you are shopping for a used one, you should be able to find a deal.