PDA

View Full Version : Gigolo, Remy, Bonfire, & Salinero: who reigns supreme?

ImmortalSynn
Sep. 23, 2009, 04:22 PM
As an disclaimer of entry, I'm not much of a dressage follower... though I do have a thing for famous '90s horses, and heck, everyone who's ever sat in an English saddle has heard of Anky-- so thought I'd propose this little question of opinion.

In huntseat, we will always have the question of Milton or Gem Twist?
In dressage, you have the option of so much more.

Rembrandt Borbet
Nissan Gigolo
Chameleon/Olympic Bonfire
Keltec Salinero

...names that will forever ring in the hallowed halls of dressage's highest levels of fame. But to you, which one of them is above all others? And more importantly, why?

Discuss :)

spotted mustang
Sep. 23, 2009, 04:30 PM
all unique, all brilliant, all beautiful.

ImmortalSynn
Sep. 23, 2009, 04:37 PM
all unique, all brilliant, all beautiful.
Well, yeah, that's sort of a given... but doesn't do much to answer the question. Looking for specifics :)

egontoast
Sep. 23, 2009, 05:12 PM
I liked Rusty!:)

stolensilver
Sep. 23, 2009, 06:10 PM
Matine and Totilas. :)

Mara
Sep. 23, 2009, 06:11 PM
Ahlerich.

slc2
Sep. 23, 2009, 06:15 PM
Rembrandt Borbet - that a horse can be that light, and that hot, and that reactive, that a horse can stand in one place and piaffe that easily, that effortlessly, and make transitions like that, that a nine year old kid can break her first dressage horse, spend a good long time being run back to the barn, and wind up where that girl wound up with that horse.

caddym
Sep. 23, 2009, 06:18 PM
I think Bonfire because in my mind, they made the freestyle. Remember the "song, song, blue" ? That was the first time I thought of dancing rather than riding to music

ImmortalSynn
Sep. 23, 2009, 06:46 PM
I liked Rusty!
He was a great, no doubt... saw him win the bronze at the '98 WEGs and he was spectacular. Not quite sure he's in the same league as these lot though.

Do you feel otherwise? If so, why specifically? ...help me learn ;)

Aaron Janicki
Sep. 23, 2009, 06:51 PM
As far as scores go its salinero, bonfire, gigolo, rembrant. They all have their strengths and weaknesses; Rembrant did not have the height or expression that some of the more modern horses have. Gigolo was quite heavy and maybe a little hard to collect, Bonfire had a pour quality walk and salinero sometimes has issues with tension. Their all great horses but none of them are in the same league as totilas.

egontoast
Sep. 23, 2009, 07:23 PM
Immortal, it's just a subjective thing. Rusty at his prime appealed to me just like Ravel appeals to me now. Something about the horse.:)

But I guess I'm not really answering the question asked: 'who reigns supreme":cool:

Equibrit
Sep. 23, 2009, 08:07 PM
Goldstern.

J-Lu
Sep. 23, 2009, 08:33 PM
None of them reigned supreme! Each was special...and somehwat unspecial...in their own way.

Rembrandt was amazing in that he was light, sensitive and finer type, and paved the way for these types to come, IMO. Gigolo was extremely correct and solid. Cor-rect. Bonfire was fluid but not my favorite - as he had a poor walk, could be out behind, and swung his hips in the piaffe rather than sitting (thus, his hind feet landed in the same footprint regularly) until he was about 16. It's a major flaw but no one seemed to mind! That said, Anky's "westside story" kur with bonfire is one of my favorite kurs of all time. I like Salinero but he can be a bit stiff sometimes.

Rusty most certainly belongs in this group, IMO! He reigns supreme in the tempis (no one is as straight as he is-holy cow), and is very on par (or better) with everyone else in the half passes (he's gotten 10s) and the extended gaits (he's gotten 9s). He's soooo uphill. His Carmina Burana kur is also one of my all-time favorites.

Others mentioned other great horses and I believe there are many more not yet mentioned. All of these great horses brought something very special to the table at the time. None is better than another across the board, IMO. Wishy washy answer, but it's what I believe!
J.

Plantagenet
Sep. 23, 2009, 09:25 PM
another Rusty fan here: when he was on, he had an amazing combination of power and grace.

agree that each of them is different and hard to compare.

(that's why it's so surprising to me that Tortilas, Salinero and Painted Black all move so similarly. I know that there's some shared gene pool so perhaps that explains it?)

ImmortalSynn
Sep. 23, 2009, 10:42 PM
Wishy washy answer
Not at all, it was very informative!
EXACTLY the kind of insight that I was hoping to study here. Thank you. :)

Apparently, I also need to break out some of my videos of Ula & Rusty, and study a bit more.

suzyq
Sep. 24, 2009, 09:30 AM

Me too!

mbm
Sep. 24, 2009, 11:09 AM
Ahlerich
Marzog

neither have the gigantic gaits of todays horses but man- they were correct, classical and goose bump horses :)

i also really liked Biotop...

ThreeFigs
Sep. 24, 2009, 11:28 AM
Another vote for Goldstern.

mbm
Sep. 24, 2009, 11:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXEcqyoi0dw

pas de deux
ahlerich/marzog

amazing!!!!!!!

sorry, had to edit to say..... look how *easy* they make it look! super simple changes, soft easy backs, no muscling, no force..... harmony and ease!

to me that is what dressage is all about.

johnnysauntie
Sep. 24, 2009, 12:00 PM
oh, my, MBM, thanks for posting that pas de deux! it is fantastic!

Enderle
Sep. 24, 2009, 02:36 PM
Rembrandt - lightness, harmony and a true partnership.

Carol O
Sep. 24, 2009, 06:38 PM
Today it is Gigolo.

RunForIt
Sep. 24, 2009, 07:53 PM

me too! :cool: