PDA

View Full Version : Charlestown track photographer-- is he OK?

cnvh
Sep. 22, 2009, 09:47 AM
I called Mike, the track photographer at Charles Town, a few weeks ago re: getting an old win photo of my OTTB. On the day I initially called, Mike was quick to return my call and we spoke a couple of times that day exchanging info. He was supposed to call me back in a day or two when he had a chance to look for the photo.

I never heard back from him, so I called the following week, and his voicemail said his mailbox was full. I called a couple more times over the next week or so, VM was still full.

I called last week again, this time I was able to leave a message but I haven't heard back.

Does anyone know if something happened to him? He was really nice when I spoke to him on the phone, and was quick to return my call; now it seems like he's dropped off the face of the earth. Does anyone know if he's OK? Or maybe racing is on hiatus for a while and he's on vacation?

FairWeather
Sep. 22, 2009, 09:56 AM
Thats standard M.O. for track photogs. You just have to keep hounding.

RockinHorse
Sep. 22, 2009, 11:06 AM
I would love to get a win picture of a friend's OTTB as a christmas present. Can someone give me an idea what kind of price range I would be talking about? Also, can some one share Mike's phone number since her horse won at Charlestown?

cnvh
Sep. 22, 2009, 12:03 PM
I believe he quoted me around $14, give or take.

I called the track and asked for the photographer... they put me into his VM.

DickHertz
Sep. 22, 2009, 12:49 PM
I have dealt with a half dozen track photographers and the gentlemen at Charles Town is the worst at a.) Getting Picture requests correct and b.) Getting them to you in a timely manner

doublete
Sep. 22, 2009, 03:13 PM
Agree with Dickhertz's comments. Completely.

cnvh
Dec. 23, 2009, 10:32 PM
I got a phone call from Mike, out of the blue, about 3 weeks ago... I had given up trying to reach him since his voicemail kept saying the mailbox was full. Anyway, he still had all the info I had given him re: my horse's win date, trainer name, etc., etc. He told me that the disk containing this photo had gone AWOL, and since his trainer had been banned from Charles Town, he couldn't get the photo from her, so he said he had one more chance at getting the photo, from the jockey. Since the jockey speaks little English, he said he'd try to talk to the jockey's son to get the photo.

I, of course, figured there was not a snowball's chance in hell that I would ever see this photo, but I thanked him for checking into it for me and getting back to me so many months later (which WAS a pleasant surprise, even if the news wasn't great).

Today, the day before I leave for vacation, I get home, and what do I find in my mailbox? A big flat envelope, marked "Mano Santa-- Merry Christmas" on the front.

:D:D:D:D:D

Mike found and mailed me the photo, just in time for Christmas.

If I could find Mike, I'd kiss him. Best. Present. EVER!

midnightride
Dec. 23, 2009, 10:41 PM
that is sooooo great!!!!!!:D:D
my fav win photo is rather funny- i am crying my eyeballs out since the horse was claimed..... couldnt look at it till years later when i claimed him back! Now i just love looking at it...... they are such great moments in time, glad you got yours!

sm473
Dec. 24, 2009, 03:17 PM
His mother passed away a couple of weeks ago, after a long illness.She lived in Florida, so he was away for several days.
I would be happy to hand deliver any requests that any of you have , just PM me the info.